• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horrible SS contracts of past and present collide - NYY @ TEX 7/27-7/30

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cole Hamels really in the same class as Price and Grienke? I don't think so. Dont be fooled by his no-hitter against the Cubs. He is not an elite level pitcher anymore.

Not Greinke but Price maybe. Price has his up and down moments as well.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Cyder

Justin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You guys can have tonight...Chris Capuano is pretty much as close a team will come to saying "you guys can have this one"

C.C. isn't much better

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norm is ignoring Kela, Rua, and Telis.

I bet Kela was the pitcher which I missed. But he definitely did not mention the other two.

I'm not positive if Norm's point was quantity, quality, or both schools of thought.

As far as, how does this compare to other teams, I haven't a clue, but I'm gonna ask my Cardinal buddies to see if I can get at least a one team, sample size, anyway.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only "proven veterans" in the recent past we've traded for who turned out to be busts were Ryan Dempster, Matt Garza, and to a lesser extent Cristian Guzman and Jorge Cantu. But none of those guys come close to the talent level of Cole Hamels. I'm against trading prospects for marginal upgrades like those guys. But elite guys like Cliff Lee, Zack Greinke, and Cole Hamels- yes, all day yes. Trading prospects for proven elite aces and them ending up being bad moves are mistakes you can live with. The Dempster and Garza moves were mistakes once the pen hit the paper.
Those four(Dempster, Garza, Cantu, and Guzman) would be enough to make the case I was trying to make. You also have a terrible half of a season from Uehara who was thought to be very proven. There may have been another player or two to fit that category as well, but the names escape me at the present.

The Cliff Lee trade was a great trade, but Hamels is not the same as Lee at all. Hamels is not an ace. I think he will have an ERA closer to 4.00 than 3.00 in the AL. He isn't elite and no one like Mazara, Gallo, Thompson, or even Chi Chi or Williams should be traded for him in my opinion. I don't mind eventually trading one of those guys or maybe even two of them, but not for Hamels.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet Kela was the pitcher which I missed. But he definitely did not mention the other two.

I'm not positive if Norm's point was quantity, quality, or both schools of thought.

As far as, how does this compare to other teams, I haven't a clue, but I'm gonna ask my Cardinal buddies to see if I can get at least a one team, sample size, anyway.
Norm also left out guys we traded for like Elvis and Feliz and Harrison. He only counted players who we developed completely within our system.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norm also left out guys we traded for like Elvis and Feliz and Harrison. He only counted players who we developed completely within our system.

Of course he left them out. It wasn't the discussion point.

Right or wrong, or somewhere in-between, I took as this, "he was discussing how strongly our farm system was rated over the past few years, and yet, we really haven't produced that much home grown talent, which is producing either for us, or someone else."

It wasn't scientific, and as romeo pointed out, he left two guys off the list who are on our 25 man roster. So he certainly could and should have done a little bit more homework, before even presenting his thoughts.

I thought this is why he has producers and research interns at his call.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those four(Dempster, Garza, Cantu, and Guzman) would be enough to make the case I was trying to make. You also have a terrible half of a season from Uehara who was thought to be very proven. There may have been another player or two to fit that category as well, but the names escape me at the present.

The Cliff Lee trade was a great trade, but Hamels is not the same as Lee at all. Hamels is not an ace. I think he will have an ERA closer to 4.00 than 3.00 in the AL. He isn't elite and no one like Mazara, Gallo, Thompson, or even Chi Chi or Williams should be traded for him in my opinion. I don't mind eventually trading one of those guys or maybe even two of them, but not for Hamels.
I agree Bennie. Suppose we give up two maybe three and Holland and Yu are not able to come back 100% and we lose Yoga and Lewis to FA. The rotation ,then with Hamels, is in bad shape and we lost future prospects.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Right or wrong, or somewhere in-between, I took as this, "he was discussing how strongly our farm system was rated over the past few years, and yet, we really haven't produced that much home grown talent, which is producing either for us, or someone else."

It wasn't scientific, and as romeo pointed out, he left two guys off the list who are on our 25 man roster. So he certainly could and should have done a little bit more homework, before even presenting his thoughts.

Ian was also home grown.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Someone should have told Norm, yes, but Elvis, Feliz, and Harrison were each a big part of how highly it was rated. Thompson is in that same category now. If we make some trades this week like we should we will have some more guys in that category. I am just saying that since those type of guys are a part of the reason why the system has been rated highly then those guys belong in the discussion when they contribute to our club. Norm's whole argument was flawed to me for including those guys on the one hand and excluding them when it was convenient for his argument.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies Asking Clubs For Best Offers On Hamels By Tomorrow

The Phillies are notifying teams with interest in lefty Cole Hamels that they would like to receive their best offers tomorrow, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports. It’s unclear what the team’s decisionmaking process or timeline would be from that point, but there is at least some possibility of a deal occurring before Hamels makes his scheduled start on Thursday.

It makes sense, of course, that Philadelphia would look to strike a deal just ahead of Friday’s deadline. He is fresh off of a no-hitter, after two rough starts before it, so there’s only downside in putting him back on the hill in a Phillies uniform. And handing off another outing won’t hurt his trade value, either.

Hopefully this will happen and the speculation can end on Hamels