• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horrible SS contracts of past and present collide - NYY @ TEX 7/27-7/30

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian was also home grown.
I think he excluded Ian because he was in our system so long ago. Ian and Derek and even Feliz, Elvis and Harrison are all good reasons why sometimes it is best to hold onto prospects.

Had Profar, Feliz, and Ogando all stayed healthy then the whole conversation that Norm had would have been pointless. I don't think prospects getting hurt should be an argument against keeping them as there is no way to predict if they are going to get hurt and probably more veterans get hurt than prospects I would think. The veterans you trade them for can also get hurt.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ian was also home grown.

That's ironic you should mention him, b/c I've been neglect in doing so all morning. Thanks....Kinsler is one of the best we've got to show, for a day-to-day player.

It seemed he was more concentrating on the players of more recent ilk, since our system has b/c so well respected. Back in the Ian's day, our system was more mess than not.

Regardless, good point/pickup of Kins.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, no earthly idea what BannyRooster is going for here...

DeShields 8, Odor 4, Beltre 5, Fielder DH, Andrus 6, Moreland 3, Rua 7, Choo 9, Chirinos 2

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe Norm was counting players currently on our 25 man.
He seemed willing to count players we traded away to other teams as well if they were playing well at the MLB level. He just couldn't come up with any.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phillies Asking Clubs For Best Offers On Hamels By Tomorrow

The Phillies are notifying teams with interest in lefty Cole Hamels that they would like to receive their best offers tomorrow, Jayson Stark of ESPN.com reports. It’s unclear what the team’s decisionmaking process or timeline would be from that point, but there is at least some possibility of a deal occurring before Hamels makes his scheduled start on Thursday.

It makes sense, of course, that Philadelphia would look to strike a deal just ahead of Friday’s deadline. He is fresh off of a no-hitter, after two rough starts before it, so there’s only downside in putting him back on the hill in a Phillies uniform. And handing off another outing won’t hurt his trade value, either.

Hopefully this will happen and the speculation can end on Hamels

I agree....enough speculation from all fronts.

Wouldn't it be funny - not haha kind of funny, maybe more ironic - if they decided none of the packages were what they were looking for, and then decided to just wait until the off season.

It seems to me the Phillies are potentially running a risk of the letting the sky-fall-on-em actually. If it were me, I'd take the best package available and move on.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He seemed willing to count players we traded away to other teams as well if they were playing well at the MLB level. He just couldn't come up with any.

I didn't hear the segment so I'm not sure what point he was trying to make.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, no earthly idea what BannyRooster is going for here...

DeShields 8, Odor 4, Beltre 5, Fielder DH, Andrus 6, Moreland 3, Rua 7, Choo 9, Chirinos 2

Well, maybe he's trying to get AB some better pitches, and he's going Right/Left all the way through the lineup. And EA has hit over .300 over the past 10 games.

Perhaps I'm just acknowledging the obvious.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, maybe he's trying to get AB some better pitches, and he's going Right/Left all the way through the lineup. And EA has hit over .300 over the past 10 games.

Just weird introducing these concepts into a lineup so much later than would seem reasonable.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't hear the segment so I'm not sure what point he was trying to make.

This whole conversation seems to have taken on it's on life. haha

Since I am the ONE who did listen, I think the bottom line was/is, "since our minor league system has been highly ranked over the past 5/6 seasons, how many players from our system are producing at the ML level; for anyone?"

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Since I am the ONE who did listen, I think the bottom line was/is, "since our minor league system has been highly ranked over the past 5/6 seasons, how many players from our system are producing at the ML level; for anyone?"

Kinsler, Moreland, Odor, Holland, Harrison, Davis, Kela, Andrus, Volquez. Cruz.. And I know there's more I don't have time to think of. I didn't exclude guys due to injury because that has nothing to do with our development system. We actually have quite a few guys producing at the ML level that came from our system. Sounds like Norm was trying to twist things to make a point.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woody Page, on ESPNs show Around-the-Horn, and a decades long Denver resident, just said, "Tulowitzki is the best defensive SS in baseball."

REALLY?

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woody Page, on ESPNs show Around-the-Horn, and a decades long Denver resident, just said, "Tulowitzki is the best defensive SS in baseball."

REALLY?

Brendan Ryan and Andrelton Simmons disagree.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CF
D. DeShields Jr. (R)
2B
Rougned Odor (L)
3B
Adrian Beltre (R)
DH
Prince Fielder (L)
SS
Elvis Andrus (R)
1B
Mitch Moreland (L)
LF
Ryan Rua (R)
RF
Shin-Soo Choo (L)
C
R. Chirinos (R)

Looks like he liked the R, L, R, L theme throughout the lineup. My 4 year old would say, "Dad, that is a pattern". Yeah beyond that i think he is just shuffling things until he finds something that doesnt suck.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From what I heard that is just about the gist of it. I heard about 90% of the segment. The signal cut out for close to a minute on me.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope I have enough sense to take a hammer to my hands before I ever, ever bring up Norm Hitzges again.
CF
D. DeShields Jr. (R)
2B
Rougned Odor (L)
3B
Adrian Beltre (R)
DH
Prince Fielder (L)
SS
Elvis Andrus (R)
1B
Mitch Moreland (L)
LF
Ryan Rua (R)
RF
Shin-Soo Choo (L)
C
R. Chirinos (R)

Looks like he liked the R, L, R, L theme throughout the lineup. My 4 year old would say, "Dad, that is a pattern". Yeah beyond that i think he is just shuffling things until he finds something that doesnt suck.

Ya know.....I really don't hate this lineup. But I do understand Ephland's "confusion" re: such.

Proof's in the pudding though.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya know.....I really don't hate this lineup. But I do understand Ephland's "confusion" re: such.

We've wondered on here so many times why LH's get bunched together. Now, tonight, Banny seems to think no let's not do that.

Personally I would have liked to see Prince hitting #4 weeks ago.

DDJ and Odor at 1 & 2 is what needs to be run out there as often as possible.

On paper, yeah tonight's lineup makes a lot of sense, it's just weird to me why Banny is experimenting all of a sudden when he had some things that were clicking, and why he's waited to make other sensible changes that appear tonight.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've wondered on here so many times why LH's get bunched together. Now, tonight, Banny seems to think no let's not do that.

Personally I would have liked to see Prince hitting #4 weeks ago.

DDJ and Odor at 1 & 2 is what needs to be run out there as often as possible.

On paper, yeah tonight's lineup makes a lot of sense, it's just weird to me why Banny is experimenting all of a sudden when he had some things that were clicking, and why he's waited to make other sensible changes that appear tonight.
Banny has been doing this for a long time. He tried just about anyone not named Beltre or Prince in the 1&2 hole. Finally as you said 1&2 w/ DDJ znd Odor is the best yet and he changed that last night. Sometimes he acts like a man with one foot nailed to the floor

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Cole Hamels really in the same class as Price and Grienke? I don't think so. Dont be fooled by his no-hitter against the Cubs. He is not an elite level pitcher anymore.

Riiiight. Because non-elite pitchers just throw 13K no-hitters all the time.

I own Hamels in fantasy baseball and have followed each and every one of his starts. I can just about recite his game log by memory. He's had a few clunkers mixed in, but he is still absolutely elite. He's averaging almost 9K/9 innings with a 3.6 ERA and 1.1 WHIP. That might not be Kershaw good, but it's still elite. Few can match his numbers across the board. He has held opponents either scoreless or to 1-2 runs multuiple times this year.

Hamels runs allowed by game this season: 1,2,1,1,2,2,0,5,0,5,9,5,0

9 out of 13 starts he's allowed 2 or fewer. That's not elite? If it weren't for the 5-9-5 stretch where his teammates said he was noticeably affected by the daily trade talk, he'd have an ERA in the 2's. The Cubs hitters even said his pitches were just flat-out unhittable and unfair.

It's fine if you're against trading prospects for him. It's also fine to say he's no Kershaw. But all of this "not elite or ace material" talk is just not supported by any stats. Darvish has had a few clunkers scattered in with his gems... is he not elite?