• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horrible SS contracts of past and present collide - NYY @ TEX 7/27-7/30

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD gambled on the young guys holding down the bullpen and it has bit him in the ass
I guess it is not hard to retool but that will likely be fine in offseason. Still we have the open spot so something is gonna happen IMO

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it is not hard to retool but that will likely be fine in offseason. Still we have the open spot so something is gonna happen IMO

I guess quality relievers didn't fit in that budget Bennie is always talking about

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether we all like it or not, I'm betting JD lands Hamels somehow. I also think David Price will be a Dodger but that is just mere speculation on my part obviously.

saddles

Bring up Blaine Crim #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess quality relievers didn't fit in that budget Bennie is always talking about
JD has very rarely seen fit to go after a quality reliever in the offseason. He has preferred to trust his own, get bargains and convert our young starters to relief pitchers. It is time he realized that he has messed up in doing it that way. This offseason he needs to go out and sign at least two very good relief pitchers. That is if he doesn't mess up and bring in Hamels. If Hamels is here I doubt he spends any significant money on the bullpen.

JD's bullpen ideas remind me of how Jerry Jones used to view linebackers. He always wanted to spend elsewhere and hope for the best with linebackers. Jerry finally saw that that was wrong. Hopefully, JD has learned his lesson about the bullpen.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JD has very rarely seen fit to go after a quality reliever in the offseason. He has preferred to trust his own, get bargains and convert our young starters to relief pitchers. It is time he realized that he has messed up in doing it that way. This offseason he needs to go out and sign at least two very good relief pitchers. That is if he doesn't mess up and bring in Hamels. If Hamels is here I doubt he spends any significant money on the bullpen.

JD's bullpen ideas remind me of how Jerry Jones used to view linebackers. He always wanted to spend elsewhere and hope for the best with linebackers. Jerry finally saw that that was wrong. Hopefully, JD has learned his lesson about the bullpen.

I would bet he tries to catch lightning in a bottle w the bullpen again. I don't see him allocating many $ for bullpen arms again next year. Then again he has hamstrung himself with the EA and choo type contracts, so I see his dilemma

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would bet he tries to catch lightning in a bottle w the bullpen again. I don't see him allocating many $ for bullpen arms again next year. Then again he has hamstrung himself with the EA and choo type contracts, so I see his dilemma
I think many teams do this with what they hope are shrewd deals like an O'Day mixed in with a few knowns.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good post...he should be taken out back and shot if he brings in Hamels to this situation.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good post...he should be taken out back and shot if he brings in Hamels to this situation.

Bullpens are kind of different in nature. It usually doesn't bode well to go out and spend big dollars on arms because relievers are so fickle. Just because they were dominant last year doesn't mean they won't shit the bed the next. We've seen these countless times with guys like Uehara, Nathan, Soria, Ogando, Scheppers, Ross, League, Brian Wilson, Heath Bell, and so on and so forth. Seems like the best thing to do is add maybe one or two solid arms that don't cost a great deal of money. Guys like Frasor and Cotts come to mind. Then build the rest of your pen internally. I still say they've got the makings of a good bullpen if they follow that plan with guys like Tolley, Freeman, Kela, and Mendez.

As for Hamels, I just don't see any deal the Phillies would do where I'm a fan of acquiring him. I honestly doubt it happens, but if it does, maybe he'll surprise me.

Last edited:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why move him out of the freaking 2 hole, he was killing it there. Should be a lesson learned don't fuck it up, if something is working
Banny has used about every combination in the line up possible. Learn? IDK

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges is going to discuss what exactly have trade partners received from us when acquiring our "home grown talent" at 10:30.

This should be pretty interesting, perhaps eye-opening for some.

I'm normally of the school of, I'd rather have a guy who has played, hopefully produced, at the MLB level, rather than betting on the come of a kid at AA/AAA.

So many of those youngsters fall over dead, production wise, between AA and the ML. Seems to me anyway.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitzges is going to discuss what exactly have trade partners received from us when acquiring our "home grown talent" at 10:30.

I'm normally of the school of, I'd rather have a guy who has played, hopefully produced, at the MLB level, rather than betting on the come of a kid at AA/AAA.

So many of those youngsters fall over dead, production wise, between AA and the ML. Seems to me anyway.

Speaking of which, Gallo has been pretty bad at Round Rock. Hope he can get it going soon. I think he will, as he usually struggles when initially promoted.

80AB/5HR/ 14RBI/13BB/34K/.188/ .301 / .425 / .726

Yikes.....

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much. Give me the proven MLB talent over a "prospect" any day. I realize scouting is better these days, but you never know what can happen between MiLB and the Bigs. Look at Smoak. Look at Profar. Look at Feliz. Robbie Erlin. MIKE OLT. Cody Buckel.

I can go on and on.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. Give me the proven MLB talent over a "prospect" any day. I realize scouting is better these days, but you never know what can happen between MiLB and the Bigs. Look at Smoak. Look at Profar. Look at Feliz. Robbie Erlin. MIKE OLT. Cody Buckel.

I can go on and on.

To be fair, Profar got injured, and Feliz was proven MLB talent at one point.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair, Profar got injured, and Feliz was proven MLB talent at one point.

Both fall under the "never know what can happen" category. Injuries have hurt both of their careers - its part of the game. Holland too for that matter.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Norm: Holland, Perez, Scheppers (pitchers) and position players, Moreland, Odor, Martin, is all we've got to show for our farm system, currently on the team. He mentioned someone else, pitcher, and I missed it.

And he said the best home-grown talent we've ever traded away is Chris Davis. I disagree, and to me, it's not even close between Davis and Adrian Gonzalez.

Prospects are great to have, but that's all they are, prospects. All except Gallo.

Ohhhh..listen this...in Harrison's 3 starts, the opposing team has swung and missed only NINE times.

Toronto needs a starting pitcher and a left-hand bat. Gallardo and Moreland, maybe.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Norm: Holland, Perez, Scheppers (pitchers) and position players, Moreland, Odor, Martin, is all we've got to show for our farm system, currently on the team. He mentioned someone else, pitcher, and I missed it.

How does that compare to other teams.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And he said the best home-grown talent we've ever traded away is Chris Davis. I disagree, and to me, it's not even close between Davis and Adrian Gonzalez.

Prospects are great to have, but that's all they are, prospects. All except Gallo.

Ohhhh..listen this...in Harrison's 3 starts, the opposing team has swung and missed only NINE times.

Toronto needs a starting pitcher and a left-hand bat. Gallardo and Moreland, maybe.

Norm is ignoring Kela, Rua, and Telis.