• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horace Grant says LeBron James Miami Heat no match for Michael Jordan's Bulls

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that any of it means shit, but whatifsports.com or some other simulator ( I heard on radio) picked the Heat over the old Bulls team in 7.

Person talking said Heat had easier road to Finals because East is now weaker, but Final series is harder because West is much tougher now.

Checked it out. Ran a 7 game series in a 2-3-2 format. 12-13 Heat v. 95-96 Bulls. Bulls had a better record that year so they were home. Chicago won in 7 games.

But that isn't the point here. I question the simulation entirely. Not because Miami took it to 7. I call bullshit because this simulation had Jordan at the charity stripe TWICE in game 7! Can you imagine a game 7 in a championship series with Jordan getting to the line only twice? The guy would have been in the "I got this" mode.

Fun to do though.

piss-tons

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't compare the 87 Lakers roster to this Heat roster. There were less teams in the 80s, making talent more concentrated. If you just do a roster comparison those 80s Celtics and Lakers are a lot better than any team in the post expansion era.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't compare the 87 Lakers roster to this Heat roster. There were less teams in the 80s, making talent more concentrated. If you just do a roster comparison those 80s Celtics and Lakers are a lot better than any team in the post expansion era.

That is an interesting point...

BOTSLAYER

You can be anything
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's really the only fair way to do it. Otherwise, it assumes that the teams from the past wouldn't have taken advantage of the advances in sports medicine and science.

Also, while I think that ultimately the Showtime Lakers would win, I'm not certain that it would be quite curbstomping that some imply at least not looking at it from a matchup perspective.

PG: Magic vs. Chalmers - We are talking top 5 all-time player, Hall of Famer and the best PG ever vs. a solid, role playing PG with a knack for hitting the occasional big shot when ignored. Advantage: Lakers (big)

SG: Scott vs. D-Wade - Byron Scott was a very good, all-star caliber SG. D-Wade is a Hall of Famer. Advantage: Heat (solid, but not huge)

SF: Worthy vs. Lebron - This would be the most exciting matchup of all, imo. 2 Hall of Famers. Worthy has quickness and post moves that Lebron has never seen, Lebron is bigger and stronger than Worthy and just as athletic. Advantage: Heat

PF: Green vs. Haslem - This matchup might set an NBA record for most combined bruises. Advantage: Even

C: Kareem vs. Bosh - Arguably the best center (and certainly the best scoring center) in NBA history and Hall of Famer vs. an all-star caliber center. Advantage: Lakers (by a lot)

Coaching: Riley vs. Spoelstra - Spoelstra is a good, up and coming young coach, but Riley is the one who taught him and is a Hall of Fame coach. Advantage: Lakers.

Bench: With guys like Michael Cooper and Mychal Thompson, the Lakers had players who could have started for just about any other team in the league at the time. With guys like Birdman, Ray-Ray and Lewis, the Heat have guys that used to be able start for other teams. Advantage: Lakers (but not huge).

Because of Lebron's ability to essentially guard all 5 positions and his overall game (even among this group, he's probably the best player on the floor), Miami is able to win a couple of games. However, Lebron can't guard everybody all at once.

Lakers in 6.

:10:, I think MIA would bring in Bird and move Bosh to PF, Bosh and Bird would both be useless against Kareem minds well have a better matchup at the 4.

With science equality Lakers in 5, no more. But then maybe with science Kareem would have been larger and not able to be on the court at 39. I think he is more a Duncan though so ignoring that.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bulls would win but not because Jordan is better than Lebron, it's because Jordan had a superior supporting cast.

HuskerCradle2Grave

Big Red in the Big Ten!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Bulls would win but not because Jordan is better than Lebron, it's because Jordan had a superior supporting cast.

1374288755_mj-laughing.gif

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basketball reached a pinnacle of perfection from '86 to '88. The '86 Celtics and '87 Lakers (who repeated in '88) were basketball perfection. They utterly devastated whoever they played. The Showtime defense and fast break would wreak utter and complete havoc on these spoiled brats of the NBA today.

This is a true statement. Lakers of 87 would have demolished any team from any era.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to compare LeBron to Jordan then fine.

But, comparing this Heat team to the Bulls team in the 90's is utterly disgusting. It's not even close.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a true statement. Lakers of 87 would have demolished any team from any era.

Again how does a team that goes 7 games against the 88 Jazz and Mavs "demolish any team from any era".

The Pace of the play in the 80's was at a ridiculous all-time high that will never be seen again. Basketball talent was at an all-time high and packed into a not-yet-expanded league. It was fun to watch. It is fun to remember. But some people are letting their nostalgia carry them away, IMO.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with Doyel about much, but agree with him on this. Virtually every championship team has at least 2 players with a skill set and talent level that is not easily replaced. On those Bulls teams, anyone not named MJ, Pippen or Phil, shouldn't be talking. Nobody else had those guys. Everybody else had a Horace Grant.

You and I might care, sure. But give me one good reason why Horace Grant would care about what sportswriting hack Doyel has to say. :noidea:

Jims_Doors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with Doyel about much, but agree with him on this. Virtually every championship team has at least 2 players with a skill set and talent level that is not easily replaced. On those Bulls teams, anyone not named MJ, Pippen or Phil, shouldn't be talking. Nobody else had those guys. Everybody else had a Horace Grant.
By them losing Horace and not replacing his defense/rebounding was a key factor as to why the got bounced the following season by Orlando. Rodman was brought that off-season to fill that void and Chicago goes on to sweep Orlando in the playoffs to a 72 win season.

I think it's a stretch saying everyone had a Horace Grant. He's not a HOF'er but played his role very, very well. Double G Doyal is off on this article.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that's really the only fair way to do it. Otherwise, it assumes that the teams from the past wouldn't have taken advantage of the advances in sports medicine and science.

Also, while I think that ultimately the Showtime Lakers would win, I'm not certain that it would be quite curbstomping that some imply at least not looking at it from a matchup perspective.

PG: Magic vs. Chalmers - We are talking top 5 all-time player, Hall of Famer and the best PG ever vs. a solid, role playing PG with a knack for hitting the occasional big shot when ignored. Advantage: Lakers (big)

SG: Scott vs. D-Wade - Byron Scott was a very good, all-star caliber SG. D-Wade is a Hall of Famer. Advantage: Heat (solid, but not huge)

SF: Worthy vs. Lebron - This would be the most exciting matchup of all, imo. 2 Hall of Famers. Worthy has quickness and post moves that Lebron has never seen, Lebron is bigger and stronger than Worthy and just as athletic. Advantage: Heat

PF: Green vs. Haslem - This matchup might set an NBA record for most combined bruises. Advantage: Even

C: Kareem vs. Bosh - Arguably the best center (and certainly the best scoring center) in NBA history and Hall of Famer vs. an all-star caliber center. Advantage: Lakers (by a lot)

Coaching: Riley vs. Spoelstra - Spoelstra is a good, up and coming young coach, but Riley is the one who taught him and is a Hall of Fame coach. Advantage: Lakers.

Bench: With guys like Michael Cooper and Mychal Thompson, the Lakers had players who could have started for just about any other team in the league at the time. With guys like Birdman, Ray-Ray and Lewis, the Heat have guys that used to be able start for other teams. Advantage: Lakers (but not huge).

Because of Lebron's ability to essentially guard all 5 positions and his overall game (even among this group, he's probably the best player on the floor), Miami is able to win a couple of games. However, Lebron can't guard everybody all at once.

Lakers in 6.

:agree:No logical way to argue with any of this IMO.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 2000-2002 LAKERS would ANNIHILATE this Heat team.
It would not even be close. Every game would be a lopsided blowout.

Miami has one major weakness. They tend to be vulnerable to dominant physical post players. At times they make a mediocre center like Roy Hibbert look like Chamberlain. They perform a little better versus jumpshooting bigs, but are seemingly helpless versus a power big man.

In their title run, Miami never really face a great big man low post game. Dallas/OKC have offensively limited bigs. Duncan was 37 years old and a bit past his prime.

SHAQ in his prime would go for 45/25 every night and shoot about 70%.
It might be the worst possible matchup ever for Miami.

I do think Miami could beat some of those 1990s Bulls teams for the same reason.
Chicago never had a dominant low post big man to exploit Miami like the 2000-2002 Lakers.

Solid post. Shaq was far too dominate for the Heat to handle.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again how does a team that goes 7 games against the 88 Jazz and Mavs "demolish any team from any era".

The Pace of the play in the 80's was at a ridiculous all-time high that will never be seen again. Basketball talent was at an all-time high and packed into a not-yet-expanded league. It was fun to watch. It is fun to remember. But some people are letting their nostalgia carry them away, IMO.

Yes, maybe we are getting carried away a bit. However, many teams at that time were stacked by today's standards so going 7 games with a Mavs or Jazz team is not a slight when you put it into perspective. Most of us were pretty young or not even alive then so we were not as educated and were easily impressed back then so your point is very valid. From a reasonable point of view, though, that Lakers team had an alltime top 5 center, an all-time great PG, and an all-time top 10 SF. Any team with that type of talent will be considered one of the top teams and be subject to hyperbole.

Sportsman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which Bulls team do you want to compare to 1st 3peat or second 3peat?

The second 3peat is ridiculously stacked, I think you would be better off trying to make a case for the 1st 3 peat team. That's just me and you can do what you want.