• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Home Grown

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants consistently have a farm system that is rated near the very bottom of the league. However, they currently have 11 (10 if you dont count Vogey) home grown players on the current 25. If you count the DL, they have 12 (11 w/o Vogey).

Further, look at this...

Starters
C - Posey (1st)
1B - Belt (5th)
2B - Panik (1st)
SS - Crawford (4th)
3B - Duffy (18th)

Bench
C - Susac (2nd)

Pitchers
Bumgarner (1st)
Lincecum (1st)
Romo (28th)
Vogelson (5th)
Heston (12th)

DL
Cain (1st)

Only Timmeh, Bum and Buster were high picks. Panik and Cain were both late first rounders. The real value is that they have found absolute gems on a pretty regular basis in the later rounds. 3 players drafted in the 12th round or later, 3 players in the 4th or 5th.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a hell of a run...never want it to end.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Giants organization still does not get the attention, or praise, they deserve nationally, which is amazing after 3 titles in 5 years.

I love the way the Giants do their business and don't GAF about all the outside noise. There are hits (all the 11-12 names you mentioned above) and there are misses (Gary Brown, and all the draft picks/international signings that have flopped), but we haven't seen a complete organizational success like this, literally from the bottom to top, in a long time. It's pretty freakin cool.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember about two or three years ago one of the giants organizational guys talking on the radio about prospects and the funny thing is the guys he talked most haven't made much of an impact and yet there were guys he didn't talk about who have made an impact......just kind of weird and it may mean that until guys actually get called up and prove themselves even the organization won't know really know until they get results.

I'm certainly not an expert as when Panik stalled for a while I had given up in him and he has certainly proven me wrong.