• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hmmm?...

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pheele Steele doesn't even watch football.

He gathers up the stats from NCAA.com and makes formulas.

He watches Alabama and whoever else is playing well in the SEC that year, then makes the rest of his assumptions based off of his computer calculations.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This play should be in the highlight reel for Lewis, his effort to get on the ground with such speed was astounding
this. i blame Lewis way more than TA on that one. if he had just done anything to slow down that DE, no chance the guy gets there to make that play.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This play should be in the highlight reel for Lewis, his effort to get on the ground with such speed was astounding

Lewis did what he was supposed to do and that was to take a couple steps back then throw a cut-block. He failed miserably at it, but he did what he was supposed to do on the screen side.

A screen is selling the long ball, letting the d-linemen get up-field, then dumping the short ball behind them. That leaves the screen against LB's (at most) for at least 10 yds before corners and safeties recover.

The blitzing LB gave TA two options...
1) Execute the called play.
2) Take a sack inside the 5.

He had to trust everyone had done their job on the screen side.

Credit the Iowa DE for the read, getting his hands up, and making a big play.

In the gif, the screen side o-linemen all threw cut-blocks. The o-lineman on the non-screen side all pass blocked. Everybody did what they were supposed to do.

The cut blocks are so the d-lineman on the screen side, don't get their hands up, bat the ball in the air, catch it, and rumble in for a TD. They should be on the ground trying to get back up.

If Lewis makes his cut-block and rolls the DE and TA competes the screen, then the outside LB is double teamed, the MLB is out of position. The play goes for a first down minimum.

126567.gif

Last edited:

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis did what he was supposed to do and that was to take a couple steps back then throw a cut-block. He failed miserably at it, but he did what he was supposed to do on the screen side.

A screen is selling the long ball, letting the d-linemen get up-field, then dumping the short ball behind them. That leaves the screen against LB's (at most) for at least 10 yds before corners and safeties recover.

In the gif, the screen side o-linemen all threw cut-blocks. The o-lineman on the non-screen side all pass blocked. Everybody did what they were supposed to do.

The cut blocks are so the d-lineman on the screen side, don't get their hands up, bat the ball in the air, catch it, and rumble in for a TD. They should be on the ground trying to get back up.

If Lewis makes his cut-block and rolls the DE and TA competes the screen, then the outside LB is double teamed, the MLB is out of position. The play goes for a first down minimum.

View attachment 126705
I'd guess with the blitz coming on his side perhaps going down like a sack of batatoes was not the correct read, even without the guy blitzing, the LG ate shit for it as well. Let's not single out Lewis for just this instance, there were many more. Punting here would have been the correct play call

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Steele says the Huskers may have found their identity in a Foster Farms Bowl victory over UCLA."

UCLA has the worst rush defense per game in Pac-12 conference play

The Huskers did NOT find an "identity" rushing the ball against one of the worst rushing defenses in CFB.

In the weeks leading up to the Foster Farms Bowl, many of us said Nebraska needed to run the ball in that game. Why? Because we can look up stats. It was glaringly obvious that stopping the run was UCLA's defensive weakness.

If you think Nebraska's "identity" is going to be running the ball this season because they had success against one of the worst rush defenses in CFB, you're a narrow minded fool.

Yup. They're recruiting all of these wide-outs because "running the ball" is going to be their "identity". lulz
Yup. They're recruiting drop-back pocket passers because "running the ball" is going to be their "identity". lulz

Nebraska averaged 35 passes per game last season. Not "40". Not "50".
Nebraska averaged 38 rushes per game last season.

One could say they were as close to balanced (rushing/passing) as they could get.

If you want to highlight anything in that article that would have taken an ounce of 'prognostication' effort, then highlight the part where they had 5 last second losses.

In 2016 Riley/Langsdorf are going to install the offense they used in 2015. They are going to install the offense they plan to use in 2017.

Steele's rushing prognostication ain't worth wiping one's ass with. It was low hanging fruit for gullible idiots.

I know TA averaged 35 passes per game, and actually that isn't a ridiculous amount of passes if TA wasn't so careless. On the other hand, a larger amount of play action passes that TA is more adept at throwing would have resulted in a better final record for Nebraska. Obviously it appears that Riley is building a west coast type of offense heavy in risky passing, instead of a balanced attack like we should have. By the way, TA threw 48 passes against Iowa, much more attempts than his average per game. LOL

One more thing, did you even notice that Mr. Steele believes Nebraska will be improved because of the running game, not the passing game?

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
eh, more TA running and getting him to make better decisions in the passing game. the number of passes last year didn't bother me (with the exception of the Purdue and Illinois games) as much as Tommy's horrible decision making.

The horrible decisions involved the passing game. I'm hopeful Riley has learned something from that.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This thread is MASSIVE FAIL.

Brought to you by the uninformed, using a lazy prognosticator, who is feeding minions the lowest hanging fruit.

Steele knows way more about football than you do.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd guess with the blitz coming on his side perhaps going down like a sack of batatoes was not the correct read, even without the guy blitzing, the LG ate shit for it as well. Let's not single out Lewis for just this instance, there were many more. Punting here would have been the correct play call

eh? I don't think you understood a word I typed.

It's a screen.

1) The guy blitzing was just fine. It's great that he's out of position/up-field when the ball gets dumped. He's now out of the play. That's one less LB to block downfield.
2) Our LG made his cut-block on his D-lineman just fine.
3) TA had good pass pro on the non screen side.
4) TA made the throw just fine.
5) It was only 2nd down.

The gif is obviously sped up. If Lewis makes his cut block (and the RB makes the catch) the play is a 1st down out of the red zone at least.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

View attachment 126705

Blah blah blah. That play was way to risky to call in that situation so close to our own goal line with TA as our QB. He just threw the damn ball up for grabs. Geesh.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

It's a screen.

1) The guy blitzing was just fine. It's great that he's out of position/up-field when the ball gets dumped. He's now out of the play. That's one less LB to block downfield.
5) It was only 2nd down.

The gif is obviously sped up. If Lewis makes his cut block (and the RB makes the catch) the play is a 1st down out of the red zone at least.

The bottom line is if TA didn't throw the ball up for grabs than he may have either been sacked or he could have thrown the ball into the ground close to the ball carrier, either of which were better choices.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

TA also had the choice of throwing the ball into the ground. Good QBs do that occasionally! True story!

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know TA averaged 35 passes per game, and actually that isn't a ridiculous amount of passes if TA wasn't so careless. On the other hand, a larger amount of play action passes that TA is more adept at throwing would have resulted in a better final record for Nebraska. Obviously it appears that Riley is building a west coast type of offense heavy in risky passing, instead of a balanced attack like we should have. By the way, TA threw 48 passes against Iowa, much more attempts than his average per game. LOL

One more thing, did you even notice that Mr. Steele believes Nebraska will be improved because of the running game, not the passing game?

Do you absorb anything other than lead paint chips?

Seasonal average
Rushing - 38 PG
Passing - 35 PG

That is balanced. If anything it's weighed toward the run side given elementary math that 38 > 35

Nebraska was down 28-17 against Iowa with 3:10 to play in the 4th Q. TA threw 11 passes in that last 3:00.

Take away those 11 from your 48 total and you're back down to 38, or closer to a balance.

Should Riley/Langsdorf have been running the ball when down 11 points with 3 minutes to play? Only an idiot would think so.

Mr Steele is as ignorant as you for not taking the time to do your due diligence in realizing Nebraska's 53rd rated rushing offense was given a gift by UCLA's 97th ranked rush defense.

At 62 rushes and 19 passes, the Foster Farms bowl stats were an outlier. That is not balanced. Outlier's are generally thrown in the trash.

I was being easy on Steele by saying he was picking low hanging fruit. He's actually picking bug and fungus infested fruit up off the ground. Apparently he found at least one sucker that'll buy that mushy shit.

LOL if you think Nebraska's gonna run the ball 76% of the time in 2016 only to revert back to a more balanced attack in 2017.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steele knows way more about football than you do.

Sure, he likely knows more about the other 130 CFB teams combined than I do.

However, by watching every minute of every game and analyzing Nebraska all season long, I know more than Steele about the subject of Nebraska football. I know better than to take one game and say that's what Nebraska's gonna do in 2016.

You make the perfect gullible minion for the media.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Armchair QB's that can't give an opposing player credit for making a good play.

If Grant Wistrom or any of a number of famous Husker DE's had shed a cut-block and made that play, it'd be a different story.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's a screen.

5) It was only 2nd down.

Yeah I got it RA thanks, what the play was supposed to be, a screen.
However beyond the it was a screen part, the OLB #43 that blitzed the gap between Lewis and the LG got in TA's face before he could finish the word Hike, he's lucky to get the throw off in the first place, I don't think TA even saw the DE being the LB was shading his sight. My point was the guy came in clean and maybe if Lewis could have laid down at least sideways it may have given our QB a whole extra .5 sec to evaluate his throw.
Lewis did shit to the DE or the blitz guy who was lined up right in his gap, and not to let the LG off the hook on that play who got pancaked as well

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Seasonal average
Rushing - 38 PG
Passing - 35 PG

That is balanced. If anything it's weighed toward the run side given elementary math that 38 > 35

Nebraska was down 28-17 against Iowa with 3:10 to play in the 4th Q. TA threw 11 passes in that last 3:00.

Take away those 11 from your 48 total and you're back down to 38, or closer to a balance.

Should Riley/Langsdorf have been running the ball when down 11 points with 3 minutes to play? Only an idiot would think so.

Mr Steele is as ignorant as you for not taking the time to do your due diligence in realizing Nebraska's 53rd rated rushing offense was given a gift by UCLA's 97th ranked rush defense.

At 62 rushes and 19 passes, the Foster Farms bowl stats were an outlier. That is not balanced. Outlier's are generally thrown in the trash.

I was being easy on Steele by saying he was picking low hanging fruit. He's actually picking bug and fungus infested fruit up off the ground. Apparently he found at least one sucker that'll buy that mushy shit.

LOL if you think Nebraska's gonna run the ball 76% of the time in 2016 only to revert back to a more balanced attack in 2017.

Only a contractor like yourself would think of lead paint chips, because a lot of them would ignore them to save a buck even though they can be deadly to the occupants of a home.

Because of those risky TA passes they were down by 11 when they very easily could have been ahead in the last three minutes by calling safer plays early on you bonehead, and they wouldn't have needed to pass, but knowing Riley they still would have put the ball in the air and threw the game away at the end anyways I guess. I find it ironic that when they absolutely needed to pass against Wisky when they had all of their timeouts left, Riley then ran the ball. Didn't he realize that our leaky defense would not prevent Wisky from scoring a FG, and we needed a first down badly?!

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Seasonal average
Rushing - 38 PG
Passing - 35 PG

I know better. The running game will be an afterthought when Riley gets all of the pieces for a pro style offense.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I got it RA thanks, what the play was supposed to be, a screen.
However beyond the it was a screen part, the OLB #43 that blitzed the gap between Lewis and the LG got in TA's face before he could finish the word Hike, he's lucky to get the throw off in the first place, I don't think TA even saw the DE being the LB was shading his sight. My point was the guy came in clean and maybe if Lewis could have laid down at least sideways it may have given our QB a whole extra .5 sec to evaluate his throw.
Lewis did shit to the DE or the blitz guy who was lined up right in his gap, and not to let the LG off the hook on that play who got pancaked as well

The video was sped up. That wasn't real time. :L

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only a contractor like yourself would think of lead paint chips, because a lot of them would ignore them to save a buck even though they can be deadly to the occupants of a home.

Because of those risky TA passes they were down by 11 when they very easily could have been ahead in the last three minutes by calling safer plays early on you bonehead, and they wouldn't have needed to pass, but knowing Riley they still would have put the ball in the air and threw the game away at the end anyways I guess. I find it ironic that when they absolutely needed to pass against Wisky when they had all of their timeouts left, Riley then ran the ball. Didn't he realize that our leaky defense would not prevent Wisky from scoring a FG, and we needed a first down badly?!

Are you really foolish enough to think Nebraska will or should run the ball 76% of the time in 2016?

Simple question.