• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas has had a 10+ year decline in offensive line recruiting even when winning 10 games.
Each year under mack it seemingly got worse and worse heading to critical mass.

Strong immediately made a problem into a full blown crisis with his value demands.
Texas lost 5 offensive linemen from the team in year one from purges and philosophical diffrences.

I would love to have Estelle Kennedy, Desmond Harrison, Darius James, Rami Hammad, and Dominic Espinosa (injury) on the team. Having all that talent on the line instead of 18 year olds would make a huge diffrence.

Maybe another coach looked the other way....maybe some of those guys would be still here.
Maybe a shadier coach would see W-L as more important than character.

But Charlie Strong is a value guy. He believes in a strong moral code.
I hope he gets a chance to show it can work.

It's simple. Last year Texas had 6 scholarship OL available. Rewind 5 years, Texas took 2 OL in their class. That is recruiting malpractice. Texas took 3 multiple times. The general guideline is to replace a starter in every class. Some you can skip on, like RB. On a position like OL, where it is notoriously hard to evaluate and the development cycle is long, it is imperative to take proper numbers. It isn't all about guys that left. In Mack's last 5 years he had a class of 2 OL, a class with no QB, and a class with 0 defensive lineman. I don't give a damn what the rankings were, you aren't winning a game with 2 OL or 0 DL.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's nothing outdated about what I said at all. It's entirely factual. I'm as knowledgeable as anyone who can look at a recruiting ranking site.

It isn't as if Strong has been left with 5 freshmen walk-ons from frat row starting on his offensive line. He does have two freshmen, I'll give him that. He also has 2 seniors and a junior, and three of his starting five linemen were blue chippers. Face it - the guy has been a failure up to this point. He made his point about getting rid of guys last season, but what's his excuse for this offseason?

You can look it up, but only know half the story. I never said he has killed it, just that he is cleaning up a disaster. Yes, he was dying to throw 3 kids out that he put in rehab. He was just waiting for sexual assault charges to cull the herd. Pretty solid logic there. Do you think losing guys last year has 0 effect on this year? That is just ignorant.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple. Last year Texas had 6 scholarship OL available. Rewind 5 years, Texas took 2 OL in their class. That is recruiting malpractice. Texas took 3 multiple times. The general guideline is to replace a starter in every class. Some you can skip on, like RB. On a position like OL, where it is notoriously hard to evaluate and the development cycle is long, it is imperative to take proper numbers. It isn't all about guys that left. In Mack's last 5 years he had a class of 2 OL, a class with no QB, and a class with 0 defensive lineman. I don't give a damn what the rankings were, you aren't winning a game with 2 OL or 0 DL.
In 2014, there were 3 OL in the class.
In 2013, there were 5 OL in the class, including 3 blue chippers.
In 2012, there were 4 OL in the class, including 3 blue chippers.

That's 12 offensive linemen, all of which would be Soph-Seniors right now.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems as though only Texas fans can hate on Charlie.
Others aren't allowed

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just prefer it be an informed one. Not someone that spent 3 minutes on Google pretending to be an expert on the talent level at Texas.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I just prefer it be an informed one. Not someone that spent 3 minutes on Google pretending to be an expert on the talent level at Texas.
You don't have to be an expert to realize that losing 6 games by 20+ points in your first 14 games at a program with bottomless resources is pathetic.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2014, there were 3 OL in the class.
In 2013, there were 5 OL in the class, including 3 blue chippers.
In 2012, there were 4 OL in the class, including 3 blue chippers.

That's 12 offensive linemen, all of which would be Soph-Seniors right now.

Some were JUCOs and have left, but why bother looking that up? You have not told me how many remain. 2013 would be redshirt freshmen. So you have shown there should be 4 OL that are Sophs. 2 of those were undersized Centers, which happens to be a position Texas is not in dire need of replacing. 1 was a JUCO that is gone. 1 left the program. Look at the roster before you blindly continue to post about the talent

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You don't have to be an expert to realize that losing 6 games by 20+ points in your first 14 games at a program with bottomless resources is pathetic.

Why do the resources matter to a coach that had 1 recruiting class to use them? You are just building scarecrows. If the resources were properly managed Texas would not have had to hire a new coach. I thought that would be an obvious pt

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some were JUCOs and have left, but why bother looking that up? You have not told me how many remain. 2013 would be redshirt freshmen. So you have shown there should be 4 OL that are Sophs. 2 of those were undersized Centers, which happens to be a position Texas is not in dire need of replacing. 1 was a JUCO that is gone. 1 left the program. Look at the roster before you blindly continue to post about the talent
So how many were JUCOs that have left out of all 12 of them?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do the resources matter to a coach that had 1 recruiting class to use them? You are just building scarecrows. If the resources were properly managed Texas would not have had to hire a new coach. I thought that would be an obvious pt
And you're building excuses for an overrated coach. He had tons of talent coming in. Is the OL a weakness? Yes. Guess what? He's not the first coach to ever deal with that. How the hell has he now had 2 offseasons with Tyrone Swoopes and yet he still looks like a 13-year old out there? Is he even attempting to develop him?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the expert. Please tell me about all the talent you see at Texas
So you don't actually know the answer to a question you condescendingly judged me for not knowing the answer to.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're building excuses for an overrated coach. He had tons of talent coming in. Is the OL a weakness? Yes. Guess what? He's not the first coach to ever deal with that. How the hell has he now had 2 offseasons with Tyrone Swoopes and yet he still looks like a 13-year old out there? Is he even attempting to develop him?
I think most of that falls on Shawn Watson, who isn't worth the money they pay him. I don't think Swoopes will get better if it falls on Watson to develop him.

Darth_Tom

a.k.a. theseeker88
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Vince Young come out to play?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current Texas O-Linemen (19)

#50 Jake Raulerson R/S SO
#51 Terrell Cuney R/S FR
#54 Garrett Graf SO
#55 Connor Williams TR FR
#57 Clark Orren JR
#58 Brandon Hodges JR transfer
#59 Michael Welsh R/S FR
#63 Alex Anderson R/S FR
#65 Marcus Hutchins R/S SR
#66 Sedrick Flowers R/S SR
#68 Frank Lopez R/S JR
#69 Austin Allsup R/S FR
#70 Buck Major TR FR
#72 Elijah Rodriguez R/S FR
#74 Taylor Doyle R/S SR
#75 Tristan Nickelson SO transfer
#76 Kent Perkins JR
#77 Patrick Vahe TR FR
#79 Garrett Thomas TR FR

True Freshman: 4
Redshirt Freshman: 5 (2nd year)
True Sophomore: 1
Redshirt Sophomore: 1 (3rd year)
Sophomore Transfer: 1
True Junior: 2
Redshirt Junior: 1 (4th year)
Junior Transfer: 1
Redshirt Senior: 3 (fifth year)

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current Texas O-Linemen (19)

#50 Jake Raulerson R/S SO
#51 Terrell Cuney R/S FR
#54 Garrett Graf SO
#55 Connor Williams TR FR
#57 Clark Orren JR
#58 Brandon Hodges JR transfer
#59 Michael Welsh R/S FR
#63 Alex Anderson R/S FR
#65 Marcus Hutchins R/S SR
#66 Sedrick Flowers R/S SR
#68 Frank Lopez R/S JR
#69 Austin Allsup R/S FR
#70 Buck Major TR FR
#72 Elijah Rodriguez R/S FR
#74 Taylor Doyle R/S SR
#75 Tristan Nickelson SO transfer
#76 Kent Perkins JR
#77 Patrick Vahe TR FR
#79 Garrett Thomas TR FR

True Freshman: 4
Redshirt Freshman: 5 (2nd year)
True Sophomore: 1
Redshirt Sophomore: 1 (3rd year)
Sophomore Transfer: 1
True Junior: 2
Redshirt Junior: 1 (4th year)
Junior Transfer: 1
Redshirt Senior: 3 (fifth year)

5 of those are walk ons.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't actually know the answer to a question you condescendingly judged me for not knowing the answer to.

I know it, but I wasn't the one pretending to know the Texas roster.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most of that falls on Shawn Watson, who isn't worth the money they pay him. I don't think Swoopes will get better if it falls on Watson to develop him.

I am not a fan. He has a great reputation as a QB coach, not so much as a OC. I think he should stick with being a positional coach

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not all about just Texas being bad.

I want to see how Notre Dame plays as well.
Sometimes great teams beat you 59-0 (Wisconsin and A&M know damn well) no matter what you do.

When teams like Bama and Ohio State are firing on all cylinders....they annihilate teams.
Notre Dame might actually be a dominant team. It remains to be seen.

They have been getting a ton of love as this being the best team they have had in 20 years.
It might be complete fake praise. But, they might be for real.

THat is why I think Texas needs to see how games versus K-STate, OU, OSU, WVU, and Cal go.
And I need to see how ND plays against other teams as well.