• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is this.

You MUST show signs of improvement.

texico isn't doing that right now. Not at all. Yeah it's the first game of the season, but all I see is regression right now. I don't care if you have RuPaul and his Thursday night poker buddies on your team....there should be some measure of improvement.

Now texico has to decide when to cut bait. I'm fearful that it's going to be much sooner than anyone expects.

The AD is going to get the heave-ho as well. I'm sorry but you don't march into the entrenched status quo at texico and start wiping your dick all over the drapes.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry but you don't march into the entrenched status quo at texico and start wiping your dick all over the drapes.
Exactly where is this acceptable behavior? Because . . . it really doesn't seem like a good idea ever.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I just checked and it does happen.
Texas has lost to Rice 21 times. :clap:

droider

Human NFL Almanac and College Football Insider
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Rhoads is an underrated coach, would probably do better at Texas than Strong.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not all about just Texas being bad.

I want to see how Notre Dame plays as well.
Sometimes great teams beat you 59-0 (Wisconsin and A&M know damn well) no matter what you do.

When teams like Bama and Ohio State are firing on all cylinders....they annihilate teams.
Notre Dame might actually be a dominant team. It remains to be seen.

They have been getting a ton of love as this being the best team they have had in 20 years.
It might be complete fake praise. But, they might be for real.

THat is why I think Texas needs to see how games versus K-STate, OU, OSU, WVU, and Cal go.
And I need to see how ND plays against other teams as well.
This logic actually makes a lot of sense, and I don't disagree. However, when you've coached 14 games, and 6 of those games have resulted in 20+ point losses, it's not just a 1 game thing.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know it, but I wasn't the one pretending to know the Texas roster.
So if you don't know the answer yourself, how can you tell me how wrong I am about the roster?

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NOBODY

Can underachieve like Texas.

Given the resources it's just not possible.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Texas scheduled like big boys do. As teams schedule tougher schedules considering the playoffs, there will be plenty of first week heartburn to go around. This is the start of a new era in college football.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There was a stretch where the Owls had lost to Jexas 29 straight times. I remember watching the game when Rice broke the string, Ken Hatfield was coaching and he was so hoarse after the game he couldn't even talk during his post-game interview.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh, they'll be fine. Not everybody can go into South Bend and beat that small, private, catholic university whose enrollment is like 10X smaller than Texas's

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty much over Watson, Wickline, and Swoopes. The play calling, offensive line play, and QB decision making are terrible. It has looked like an FCS team playing a big boy for a pay day the last 3 games against TCU, Arkansas, and Notre Dame. That is never acceptable at any traditional football power. Charlie Strong is a good coach who has done well everywhere he has been and was mentored by great coaches. However, he's not an offensive guy and loyalty to a shitty coordinator and a position coach who has turned out really bad offensive lines 3 years in a row and appears to have lost his touch will get him fired eventually it appears. I don't see how Watson and Wickline can possible improve the line and offense enough to be a winning team by next season. If we aren't at least competing for a Big 12 title in year 3 Strong will be fired.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm obligated to disclose that I am not a Longhorn or Aggie fan. I think they siphon off a disproportionate amount of the resources in the state.

That said, Texas has stunk at evaluating talent coming out of high school. They relied strictly on recruiting service evaluations and didn't do enough of their own...or have the ability to evaluate properly. Sherman did a better job and left Sumlin with a ton of talent. Check out how many A&M had drafted during Sumlin's first two years. Those were Sherman's guys. Sherman just wasn't a college coach...but he could evaluate talent and potential talent.

Bet Jonathan Grey wishes he had stayed home at TCU now.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wanted to watch a replay of this game but never found one.
the LHN never showed it because they're pussies like most things Texas.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's only 1 game but yeah thought they would have played better.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a defensive minded hc texas really shit the bed saturday....

maybe muschamp can get his hc in waiting title back while he waits it out at auburn.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for a defensive minded hc texas really shit the bed saturday....

maybe muschamp can get his hc in waiting title back while he waits it out at auburn.

The defensive scheme was solid at first. Drop a lot of people, contain Zaire and make him beat you with the pass. Once he proved he could do that this year, they didn't adjust. Then the run game got going too and it was all over on defense. Poorly called game on that side of the ball. Probably the second worst game Bedford has called at Texas with last years Iowa St game being the worst.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Huskers commenting on Texas football is THE funniest fucking thing on these boards always. Period. Stop.
2. I was on record on these boards before we even knew who our new hire was going to be: For a tier1 team, you should give the new coach five years to get the program going because:'a. Tier1 teams don't need new coaches unless in REAL distress
B. If you cut bait on QBs, Coaches, you become the fucking Cleveland Browns with rotating door QB and coaches and no direction. Worse, because it's college and you have to get recruits to want to come instead of just drafting them.
3. As I oft day and have been quoted recently by a Duck: it's the first fucking game!! 3/4 of the teams need a couple of games to gel offenses. Texas just played a #11 team that returned 19 starters including their 6 most productive offensive guys.

Negatives for THIS game, yes:
I didn't see a coherent game plan on offense. Could it be the first game rust and the really good team on the other side? Maybe. We'll know next week.
The DBs were fucking always in the wrong spots. Wtf?