• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dunno, but is Charlie Strong, Texas's Boo Blake????
Kinda maybe we'll see?

Strong was established as a head coach in the Div 1 ranks.
John was established as a position coach in the Div 1 ranks and NFL. Awesome individual that could recruit his ass off, but didn't have HC chops or enough other coaching connections to make the grade.

Strong has all of that....at texico.

Which would be the bigger failure?

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Re: the natty and Colt...
Here's the common denominator between those two - hella talented QBs on whose backs Mack and GDGD rode. As someone else pointed out before, Mack and co. are famous for "letting VY be VY." That's not development at all. It's sad that they realized they didn't have the chops to help this physically gifted but raw player develop into anything more than what he was in high school. In fact, whenever they tried to get him to follow their bullshit program, his performance suffered. People were calling them out at the time, but that kind of stuff tends to get drowned out by wins. It was the same with Colt. He came in with more polish than VY at least.

On the other side of the spectrum, we have poor Garrett Gilbert. Highly touted, the next coming, all the accolades. Was he just a bust? Were the scouts and analysts all horribly wrong? Maybe. To me, it was bad coaching as well. I don't know wtf was going on during practice and in the locker room at the time, but Gilbert just looked lost and unprepared for just above every down he played. (Someone said GDGD should have been there to develop him like Colt had been developed. GDGD was. It was his last season at Texas.)

Just my 2cents. I've never been a huge Mack Brown wk-er. I thought he was a good but not great coach. While I still think Strong needs at least a third year to show us what he's really made of, I have to admit a part of me is wondering if his successes at Louisville were mostly because of Teddy Bridgewater being his QB. Watson sure wasn't getting it done anywhere else he had been, and I don't think he suddenly found next-level coaching skills at that point in his career. We'll see.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If it wasn't for Mack Brown having the gutsiest quarterback in cfb history (Applewhite), the greatest quarterback in cfb history (VY), and the winningest quarterback in cfb history (Colt), Texas would have been a very mediocre team under his system and coaching."
- ElTexan (self quote)

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"If it wasn't for Mack Brown having the gutsiest quarterback in cfb history (Applewhite), the greatest quarterback in cfb history (VY), and the winningest quarterback in cfb history (Colt), Texas would have been a very mediocre team under his system and coaching."
- ElTexan (self quote)

And then he forgot how to recruit QBs.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bout to listen to Watson's press conference...

rumor is, and it's just a rumor, is that he'll no longer be play caller.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
just a rumor, probably not true...he may have another game or two to try to salvage his job.

anyway, bout to listen to him talk, so I'll let you know.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bout to listen to Watson's press conference...

rumor is, and it's just a rumor, is that he'll no longer be play caller.

What kind of solution is that.
I thought the Offense was having trouble with every play they called.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of solution is that.
I thought the Offense was having trouble with every play they called.

well yeah, the whole thing sucks, so there's that.

They only gave the RB's a couple carries, instead set up 5 step drops on a defense we couldnt hope to pass block effectively.

Different plays, such as zone reads, etc. and runs would have been a start. But Watson is too stubborn, he wont 'stoop' to running a high school offense. Well, Mr Watson, that may be the only thing that we can run.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Different plays, such as zone reads, etc. and runs would have been a start. But Watson is too stubborn, he wont 'stoop' to running a high school offense. Well, Mr Watson, that may be the only thing that we can run.
It seems to me that when you have freshmen starting on the o-line, you need to simplify things . . a lot.

That was my chief complaint about Charlie Weis. He wanted to go straight for the complicated with a group of players who had never even mastered the fundamentals. More than at any other level of football, a coach in college has to be an educator. Anyone who skimps on that aspect is never going to make it.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson/Wickline will no longer call plays. Watson QB coach, Wickline Ol.

Norvell now the play caller.

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson/Wickline will no longer call plays. Watson QB coach, Wickline Ol.

Norvell now the play caller.
This is a good move if only to shake things up and get Watson away from the clipboard. What do we know about Norvell?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good move if only to shake things up and get Watson away from the clipboard. What do we know about Norvell?

the positive is he at least is not afraid to run, run the zone read. The negative is, OU people can fill in that info...