• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I could have called the plays, and chosen a QB, to get more yards than they got Saturday.

Could not win the game, but could have moved the ball more.

That's on the entire coaching staff: but you hire a guy (Watson/Wickline) and pay them a lot of money to develop the offense. They are grown, professionals. You let them do their job without interference. They had their chance, and failed.

So you replace them, now. And he did.
I can see that logic if there's some glaring particular weakness like tackling in the secondary. You hire a secondary coach and let him loose: get this thing turned around.

But that logic does NOT go for the problem of the ENTIRE OFFENSIVE SCHEME. No way. That is not something you set it and forget it as a head coach. No way I agree with that.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have said that the new coach at a tier 1 team should have five years to install his players and scheme. And now I'm being told by fucking Strong himself that he wasn't even installing a planned fucking scheme at all with this fucking move.

Yeah. I'm pissed. For THAT goddam reason.

You know the hiring of Norvell and Traylor in the offseason seems almost as if Strong had a succession plan in place

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move just shows that Charlie Strong is in way over his head and is in terrible trouble.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I could have called the plays, and chosen a QB, to get more yards than they got Saturday.

Could not win the game, but could have moved the ball more.

That's on the entire coaching staff: but you hire a guy (Watson/Wickline) and pay them a lot of money to develop the offense. They are grown, professionals. You let them do their job without interference. They had their chance, and failed.

So you replace them, now. And he did.

Watson was hired because he saved Strongs ass at Louisville. Strong hired a Meyer protege and the offense was a mess year 1 and 4 games into year 2 he fired him and promoted their QB coach, Watson. Week 5 a new QB was announced, Teddy Bridgewater, and the rest is history.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see that logic if there's some glaring particular weakness like tackling in the secondary. You hire a secondary coach and let him loose: get this thing turned around.

But that logic does NOT go for the problem of the ENTIRE OFFENSIVE SCHEME. No way. That is not something you set it and forget it as a head coach. No way I agree with that.

Well, it's not something I would be able to do, but I know a lot of people in leadership who do that. They hire someone, give them a shot, and remove them if they fail.

I think the biggest question for me is, why wasnt the move made in the off season? Those last two games last year would have been the last straw for me. I think part of it is, CS probably would not have gotten the Texas job without Watson. Think he wanted to give him one more chance.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This move just shows that Charlie Strong is in way over his head and is in terrible trouble.

It's not like he fired an OC with years of success and retained his brain dead brother as DC

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have given Norvell a lot of shit in the past...but I think you guise are going to be in a better place soon.

Norvell has been privy to tons of schemes and implementation of said schemes. I honestly think that he is a good evaluator of talent and will be able to recognize where you guise can succeed, and where you don't stand a fucking chance.

I don't expect a lot of complexity and you're gonna have to rely on these athletes "athleting".

Who knows, by just throwing them out there with a very stripped down playbook and telling them to ball out it may yield better results than you think.

Best of luck dongers...you're gonna need some.

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not like he fired an OC with years of success and retained his brain dead brother as DC
I like the moxie of talking shit to him, but prolly way inappropes for the position we're in and the epic beat down his team is going to administer to us in a month.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a good move if only to shake things up and get Watson away from the clipboard. What do we know about Norvell?

He's been passed around like a two bit whore.

Was OC at Nebraska under Callahan

A year at UCLA

Stoops took care of him for a few years at Oklahoma due to the Hayden Fry coaching tree thing.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Norvell could be Stoops' manchurian candidate as well...poised to deal the death blow to the wheezing bovine carcass as well... :noidea:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you install a new offense in a couple of days.
These retards couldn't run the ones they practiced for 8 months.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're building excuses for an overrated coach. He had tons of talent coming in. Is the OL a weakness? Yes. Guess what? He's not the first coach to ever deal with that. How the hell has he now had 2 offseasons with Tyrone Swoopes and yet he still looks like a 13-year old out there? Is he even attempting to develop him?

This guy gets it ^^^^^

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Huskers commenting on Texas football is THE funniest fucking thing on these boards always. Period. Stop.
2. I was on record on these boards before we even knew who our new hire was going to be: For a tier1 team, you should give the new coach five years to get the program going because:'a. Tier1 teams don't need new coaches unless in REAL distress
B. If you cut bait on QBs, Coaches, you become the fucking Cleveland Browns with rotating door QB and coaches and no direction. Worse, because it's college and you have to get recruits to want to come instead of just drafting them.
3. As I oft day and have been quoted recently by a Duck: it's the first fucking game!! 3/4 of the teams need a couple of games to gel offenses. Texas just played a #11 team that returned 19 starters including their 6 most productive offensive guys.

Negatives for THIS game, yes:
I didn't see a coherent game plan on offense. Could it be the first game rust and the really good team on the other side? Maybe. We'll know next week.
The DBs were fucking always in the wrong spots. Wtf?

I disagree with B. This isn't the NFL. You have a salary cap which means a cap on your talent. In college, there is no cap and you can recruit all the studs you want. Refer to Auburn. Canned Chizik 2 years after winning the NC. AU hasn't missed a beat on the recruiting trail, still pulling in top 10 classes and played for the NC in Malzahn's 1st year. You're trying to tell me AU has access to better resources than Texas? Fuck no. This coaching staff we have is very, very average.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The roster isn't near as bad as the coaching staff is currently make them look. If you watch the OL they completely whiffed like half the time and just let their man run by them. Nobody is that bad a player. That is complete and total confusion as to what they are supposed to be doing and who they are supposed to be blocking. That is on Wickline. The play calling and play design is just pathetic from Watson for the last 3 games now. Seriously dude, bad group of 5 teams move the ball better than we have against TCU, Arkansas, and Notre Dame. You telling me they have more talent on offense than us? Then why the hell were all those major programs also wanting the players we are running out on the field right now? Our offense is a shit show right now and the defense did not play well either. Bedford and Strong had a solid D last year though so that is something I can forgive. I can't forgive the offense being epically bad two years in a row. That is a recipe for a 5 or 6 win season every time even with a great defense. You have to do something well on offense at some point. We do nothing well right now on that side of the ball.

Guy, you and I are the only ones who get it. Too many people in denial here......