• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The vultures have landed in Austin. Sad, but this is college football. Most fans, and more importantly, booster clubs have a Messiah complex, and don't know half what they think they know about football.

Got news, coaches don't score touchdowns nor make tackles. Players do. Coaches don't win games, programs do. Winning is a culture, a mindset. When that gets damaged, going back is awfully hard.

Only a few years ago, Texas got all the best recruits in the region, and had all the benefits that went with a perpetually winning program. For several years now, the grumbling has been increasing, that National Championship euphoria, turned into a bubble, that has now officially burst. When Mack Brown left (after holding on too long) the damage had been done. Baylor & TCU, once doormats were the darlings of the Big 12. ATM, jumped to the SEC and is attached to the big time money machine. For all its money, Texas hasn't adjusted to being second fiddle. Top recruits are going elsewhere.

Longhorns, don't blame the coach, blame the program. That is what needs fixed, and pronto.

Otherwise it will only get worse. Lose to Rice this week, and better call the ambulance!

Coaches also are supposed to put the players in position to win with schemes and game planning, which have been atrocious. Again, this is coming from former Texas players who are now commentators on the LHN and know more about football than any of us.......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coaches also are supposed to put the players in position to win with schemes and game planning, which have been atrocious. Again, this is coming from former Texas players who are now commentators on the LHN and know more about football than any of us.......

That change has been made. Defense was much improved in year 1 the offense was a disaster. oddly, I am friends with one of those commentators. He happens to think very highly of Strong, Watson not so much. He is also very excited about Wickline, so I believe you are only listening to parts of his message that suites you. That and the typical "we are Texas" , so we should always win.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That change has been made. Defense was much improved in year 1 the offense was a disaster. oddly, I am friends with one of those commentators. He happens to think very highly of Strong, Watson not so much. He is also very excited about Wickline, so I believe you are only listening to parts of his message that suites you

Oh, I don't believe any of these commentators dislike Coach Strong at all. It's just these guys aren't making the same excuses that you and some of the other Orangebloods on this board are making.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watson was hired because he saved Strongs ass at Louisville. Strong hired a Meyer protege and the offense was a mess year 1 and 4 games into year 2 he fired him and promoted their QB coach, Watson. Week 5 a new QB was announced, Teddy Bridgewater, and the rest is history.

Didn't like the hire at the time because we all knew plenty about Watson from his Colorado and Nebraska years. When consistently facing competent defensive coordinators with elite players he comes up short every time. However, I understand why Strong did what he did. I also understand why he gave him a shot to turn it around. That doesn't mean the rest of us don't get to say I told you so. Although he never actually asked us or gives a shit what we think!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, I don't believe any of these commentators dislike Coach Strong at all. It's just these guys aren't making the same excuses that you and some of the other Orangebloods on this board are making.

I am not sure Strong will succeed. I am just honest about the talent on the current team. I have never been a Watson fan. I just understand why Strong gave him the shot, it was completely logical. I also commend him for cutting the cord in quick fashion. I am sure Watson promised change and given the issues last year you can see why he gave him the second chance, but also hired 2 capable offensive coaches as insurance. He saw Saturday. Reviewed the tape and cut the cord.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't like the hire at the time because we all knew plenty about Watson from his Colorado and Nebraska years. When consistently facing competent defensive coordinators with elite players he comes up short every time. However, I understand why Strong did what he did. I also understand why he gave him a shot to turn it around. That doesn't mean the rest of us don't get to say I told you so. Although he never actually asked us or gives a shit what we think!

That is fine and it has been dealt with. Not sure why you are still angry, instead of rejoicing that Watson is gone

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is fine and it has been dealt with. Not sure why you are still angry, instead of rejoicing that Watson is gone

Not angry at all bud! I'm happy, just saying pretty much the same thing you are. I think?

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I am angry.
I'm the one here supporting the premise that a new coach a tier 1 team should have up to 5 years to install his ppl and scheme.. .and then Coach Strong himself tells us, basically, that he wasn't even installing any scheme of his at all.... wtf

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not angry at all bud! I'm happy, just saying pretty much the same thing you are. I think?
My main response is to 98. It's all good. Maybe 1 day I will buy you a beer at Scholtz's and laugh about this

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I am angry.
I'm the one here supporting the premise that a new coach a tier 1 team should have up to 5 years to install his ppl and scheme.. .and then Coach Strong himself tells us, basically, that he wasn't even installing any scheme of his at all.... wtf
It is quite possible there were schematic changes during the summer and once the bullets started firing Watson reverted back to his old self, hence why he was canned after 1 game

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is quite possible there were schematic changes during the summer and once the bullets started firing Watson reverted back to his old self, hence why he was canned after 1 game
that's conjecture, bro... and kind of a stretch at that

longhorn718

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,180.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is apparently the talk flying around the pay sites. I'm not saying I 100% believe it, but I can't say that it would surprise me.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure Strong will succeed. I am just honest about the talent on the current team. I have never been a Watson fan. I just understand why Strong gave him the shot, it was completely logical. I also commend him for cutting the cord in quick fashion. I am sure Watson promised change and given the issues last year you can see why he gave him the second chance, but also hired 2 capable offensive coaches as insurance. He saw Saturday. Reviewed the tape and cut the cord.

Codaxx, you heard my rant on Watson all off season. I have nothing against Strong. I was hyped when we hired him. Got my Stronghorns Tshirt and everything. Went to his luncheon here in the Fort when he addressed our Texas Exes chapter. But this is clearly a coaching issue and it's not working out. If Swoopes is still starting on Saturday, this coaching change at OC isn't going to matter. Swoopes should never touch the field again. Strong needs to pull Locksley's redshirt immediately. The panic button has been pressed......

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No more conjecture than your own. We all heard about changes during the summer. Spring game showed changes. We even saw a few new wrinkles on Saturday. Strong, himself, seemed shocked at what the offense ran most of the night. I am not sure that is more unbelievable than Strong saw the same offense throughout practice and never realized it. He is a top 10 defensive mind in the game.

Hook'Em0608

Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Watson got so caught up in what he did with Bridgewater that he wanted to replicate it with Swoopes so bad he couldn't be objective about the QB situation. Yes, Swoopes has the size and arm strength to be a high NFL draft pick. However, he just doesn't have the confidence or leadership for the QB position. There is no way that Swoopes is a better game day QB than Heard. Heard was damn near a legend in HS football in Texas while Swoopes never won anything. I realize that doesn't always translate to college. It does seem like it did for Swoopes though.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Codaxx, you heard my rant on Watson all off season. I have nothing against Strong. I was hyped when we hired him. Got my Stronghorns Tshirt and everything. Went to his luncheon here in the Fort when he addressed our Texas Exes chapter. But this is clearly a coaching issue and it's not working out. If Swoopes is still starting on Saturday, this coaching change at OC isn't going to matter. Swoopes should never touch the field again. Strong needs to pull Locksley's redshirt immediately. The panic button has been pressed......

I have always doubted Swoopes. He is the prototype to get a coach fired. Great arm and solid athlete that probably looks great in controlled conditions, but lacks the mental side of the game to excel at QB. Way too early to tell if Strong is not working out. I have more hope after seeing ND though. Those 2015 kids looked like they will grow into players. You have Dan Neil already saying the best offensive and defensive players at Texas are true freshmen.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Harsin, Boise's HC, spent 2 years at UT, and the school couldn't make up it's mind if he or Major Applewhite was OC. So neither one of them did all that well. Harsin only stayed 2 years, which turned out great, we love him in Boise, he's back home, and winning. I remember him from his Optimist Football and middle school days. Kind of fun to see a home boy come back. Thanks, Texas, he learned a lot from Mack Brown, and from some incredible fans and staff at a legendary program.

But the rumblings were loud, even then, Harsin knew that he needed to move on.

There is the problem right there. If you want Charlie Strong, let him run the team, don't whine and second guess every call. If you don't want him, fire his ass, and don't complain when the next guy does even worse. That's how once great programs become has-beens.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My main response is to 98. It's all good. Maybe 1 day I will buy you a beer at Scholtz's and laugh about this

I'm angry b/c this move should have been made immediately after the bowl game. I'm angry b/c we heard for 9 months how this offense made a total 360 with the new up tempo scheme. I'm angry b/c our head coach says the key to victory is establishing the run game and he did nothing to uphold that. I'm angry b/c this team has enough talent to be competitive and it's not happening. I'm angry b/c I know Swoopes will be starting come Saturday and that this offense will still be stagnant. If Heard is the starter, this changes everything and we have hope.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Watson got so caught up in what he did with Bridgewater that he wanted to replicate it with Swoopes so bad he couldn't be objective about the QB situation. Yes, Swoopes has the size and arm strength to be a high NFL draft pick. However, he just doesn't have the confidence or leadership for the QB position. There is no way that Swoopes is a better game day QB than Heard. Heard was damn near a legend in HS football in Texas while Swoopes never won anything. I realize that doesn't always translate to college. It does seem like it did for Swoopes though.

Agreed. Watson loves QBS and the short passing game. Swoopes's upside fits his style more than Heard.