• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more conjecture than my own?
Strong just admitted that the offense was someone else's responsibility instead of his own while telling us all summer that he was installing the offense he wanted.

And we all saw the IN REAL LIFE the offense that was run this past Saturday... that's not conjecture.

Now, COULD it have happened the way you said... MAYBE... but it's a stretch

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm angry b/c this move should have been made immediately after the bowl game. I'm angry b/c we heard for 9 months how this offense made a total 360 with the new up tempo scheme. I'm angry b/c our head coach says the key to victory is establishing the run game and he did nothing to uphold that. I'm angry b/c this team has enough talent to be competitive and it's not happening. I'm angry b/c I know Swoopes will be starting come Saturday and that this offense will still be stagnant. If Heard is the starter, this changes everything and we have hope.

It's 1 game in. OC has been fired. Clearly Strong is paying attention. I would have fired Watson after the bowl game, but I get why Strong kept him. It wasn't a crazy decision. Heard will be starting. I assumed it would happen after the bye week. I made the prediction that the Texas season would start out rough and there would be wholesale changes after the bye week before KSU. At that pt Texas would start to show real improvement. The ND debacle has just moved the time line up. I think Heard will be given his chance this Saturday. He may not start, but I highly doubt he gets 2 series

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have always doubted Swoopes. He is the prototype to get a coach fired. Great arm and solid athlete that probably looks great in controlled conditions, but lacks the mental side of the game to excel at QB. Way too early to tell if Strong is not working out. I have more hope after seeing ND though. Those 2015 kids looked like they will grow into players. You have Dan Neil already saying the best offensive and defensive players at Texas are true freshmen.

Exactly. This group is special. My thing is, lets go with all freshmen. Weed out the Jrs and Sr's who aren't living up to their end. Get some players out there who have heart and will compete to the end. For the life of me, why is Duke Thomas still in the starting lineup? That guy might go down as the worst CB at Texas ever. Replace him with one of those freshman CB's, like now!

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryan Harsin, Boise's HC, spent 2 years at UT, and the school couldn't make up it's mind if he or Major Applewhite was OC. So neither one of them did all that well. Harsin only stayed 2 years, which turned out great, we love him in Boise, he's back home, and winning. I remember him from his Optimist Football and middle school days. Kind of fun to see a home boy come back. Thanks, Texas, he learned a lot from Mack Brown, and from some incredible fans and staff at a legendary program.

But the rumblings were loud, even then, Harsin knew that he needed to move on.

There is the problem right there. If you want Charlie Strong, let him run the team, don't whine and second guess every call. If you don't want him, fire his ass, and don't complain when the next guy does even worse. That's how once great programs become has-beens.

Co-OC tags are not uncommon. They are mostly a way to reward a hard working up and coming assistant. Harsin was 100 percent the play caller when he was at Texas. Applewhite the next year ran a completely different offense when it was his baby so it seems Harsin even did the design and scheme.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No more conjecture than my own?
Strong just admitted that the offense was someone else's responsibility instead of his own while telling us all summer that he was installing the offense he wanted.

And we all saw the IN REAL LIFE the offense that was run this past Saturday... that's not conjecture.

Now, COULD it have happened the way you said... MAYBE... but it's a stretch

How is that proof? Strong was surprised at the offense that was run on Saturday. It's not like he hasn't seen the offense prior to Saturday. Patterson gives his OC complete freedom. It not atypical for coaches to give a coordinator complete freedom. He expected 1 thing and something else was run. If he expected that offense do you think he fires Watson?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. This group is special. My thing is, lets go with all freshmen. Weed out the Jrs and Sr's who aren't living up to their end. Get some players out there who have heart and will compete to the end. For the life of me, why is Duke Thomas still in the starting lineup? That guy might go down as the worst CB at Texas ever. Replace him with one of those freshman CB's, like now!
I don't mind him at CB that much. He is an average CB there. He was brutal at NB. Just nor physical enough to hold the edge and ND exploited that. Move him back to corner, move Bonney to NB, but give Boyd some time at NB. I think he can kill it there. I have predicted that Boyd would start there by seasons end. Holton/Davante will start at CB by year end also.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is that proof? Strong was surprised at the offense that was run on Saturday. It's not like he hasn't seen the offense prior to Saturday. Patterson gives his OC complete freedom. It not atypical for coaches to give a coordinator complete freedom. He expected 1 thing and something else was run. If he expected that offense do you think he fires Watson?
He fired Watson because he was surprised by what he saw.
"If he expected that offense do you think he fires Watson"
Circular logic.

C'mon, man. That's SEC Ejukashun level logic. We're better than that. Like I said, it MAY have gone down like you state... but circular logic doesn't prove anything.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind him at CB that much. He is an average CB there. He was brutal at NB. Just nor physical enough to hold the edge and ND exploited that. Move him back to corner, move Bonney to NB, but give Boyd some time at NB. I think he can kill it there. I have predicted that Boyd would start there by seasons end. Holton/Davante will start at CB by year end also.

Can't Boyd also play safety? I'd like to see him replace the walk on. Those angles Haines was taking were just terrible.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He fired Watson because he was surprised by what he saw.
"If he expected that offense do you think he fires Watson"
Circular logic.

C'mon, man. That's SEC Ejukashun level logic. We're better than that. Like I said, it MAY have gone down like you state... but circular logic doesn't prove anything.

I never said it did, but it is no better or worse than your version of the events. That is all I said. The only difference is that I realize we will probably never truly know what happened.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rest of the freshman play half as good as Malik play them all. He was the lone bright spot in that game.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't Boyd also play safety? I'd like to see him replace the walk on. Those angles Haines was taking were just terrible.

I think NB is just a more important position and a great 1 changes everything. It is hard to find a kid tough enough to hold the edge against the run and have the speed to cover a slot WR one on one. I think Boyd can do that. I thought Elliot could give Haines a run for his money, but the injury derailed that. I think Davante has also been moving between CB and Safety this fall.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we do know is that Strong emphasized to all who would listen that Texas was concentrating on a new offensive scheme... then we DID see the same shit and the exact wrong scheme for the talent and weaknesses we have.
So, what we know is that Strong was concentrating on some offensive scheme change and that what we saw was NOT that.

So, we can think that it was NOT his plan and just some colossal surprise.. .but even if we think that... that means he's not at all on top of what he should be on top of.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What we do know is that Strong emphasized to all who would listen that Texas was concentrating on a new offensive scheme... then we DID see the same shit and the exact wrong scheme for the talent and weaknesses we have.
So, what we know is that Strong was concentrating on some offensive scheme change and that what we saw was NOT that.

So, we can think that it was NOT his plan and just some colossal surprise.. .but even if we think that... that means he's not at all on top of what he should be on top of.

You can fault him for that. You can fault him for believing that Watson could change. He clearly made a mistake or was duped. Either way it is now being cleaned up. That is what I care about now.

ElTexan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasting an off-season is my point... and that is not going to get fixed with this move.
But, i'll agree to move on.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To any of my fellow Orangebloods who keep using the excuse of Mack leaving the cupboard bare of talent, UVA is beating ND 14-12 right now with 1:40 to go in the 1st half. Our game against ND was over before halftime. You people are trying to tell me UVA's talent is vastly superior to ours? GMAFB. This is a coaching issue, not a talent issue with our team. If Swoopes is still the starter, I'm thoroughly convinced Charlie Strong is a moron.....

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Swoopes is still the starter, I'm thoroughly convinced Charlie Strong is a moron.....

I completely agree with this. :agree:
You will know if your coach is a keeper or not by which QB steps on the field tonight.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To any of my fellow Orangebloods who keep using the excuse of Mack leaving the cupboard bare of talent, UVA is beating ND 14-12 right now with 1:40 to go in the 1st half. Our game against ND was over before halftime. You people are trying to tell me UVA's talent is vastly superior to ours? GMAFB. This is a coaching issue, not a talent issue with our team. If Swoopes is still the starter, I'm thoroughly convinced Charlie Strong is a moron.....

I'm really not trying to get in your face or anyone else over this, but I'm Sorry, I'm telling you it's a talent issue. Trust me, I work in the world of statistics in the medical field, you can't compare two games, so that point is meaningless. What ND does today has absolutely nothing to do with last week.

I know it's easy to point the finger at the coaches. I knew this was going to happen after Mack left. I get it, but Strong needs time. I agree that Swoopes isn't the best qb, but Heard is obviously not ready. I do think he will play more tonight which is good. He needs to develop. I'm just hoping its a developmental issue and not a talent issue as well. If we have talent, where are they and what position? I just don't see any. Certainly not to the level it takes to be in the top 5 or even the top 10. I bet we don't even have any third team All Americans this year. Probably not even any honorable mentioned. We have some freshman that have a good outlook, but it's going to take time.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing. The OL is horrible. That makes any qb have a long night. I'm not taking up for Swoops, but it's hard when you have shit blocking.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Transitive property! cool...

I guess Texas should have beaten Baylor last year as well since they thumped WVU and the mounties beat BU.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can this be pinned somehow, someway?