• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toledo just stomped Arkansas, in Fayetteville mind you. The same Arkansas that stomped a mudhole in us. You are going to stand there with a straight face and tell me Toledo has more superior athletes than The University of Fucking Texas has? No offense Phantom, but you can't keep burying your head in the sand. This coaching staff is average.....
The game was in Little Rock not Fayetteville

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give the man at least a second recruiting class (that first one was a MB class, with 2 or 3 guys CS could pick up).
This should be the chief argument for giving him at least four years )pr at least among them.) Everytime a school changes coaches, they burn a recruiting cycle. If Charlie Strong were to be fired this year, the next coach would be asked to rebuild a program that has had only one healthy recruiting cycle in three years. And given the likelihood of achieving success with a roster so damaged, the "next" coach might be very reluctant to sign on, fearing a fate similar to that given to Charlie Strong.

As painful as it might seem right now, it is in the best interests of the longer-term health of the Texas program to stay the course and give Charlie Strong at least another three years. By then, there will be enough data to evaluate his performance.

I saw this problem in reverse with Charlie Weis. After one season, Notre Dame panicked, thinking that Weis might jump to the NFL, and signed him on long-term. The basic problem there was the same - they didn't have enough data to produce a meaningful evaluation in short time-frame they allowed themselves. The result was disastrous (except, of course, to Weis' bank account.)

It is best to give him more time. It is simply too early to determine his effectiveness or lack there of.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Toledo just stomped Arkansas, in Fayetteville mind you. The same Arkansas that stomped a mudhole in us. You are going to stand there with a straight face and tell me Toledo has more superior athletes than The University of Fucking Texas has? No offense Phantom, but you can't keep burying your head in the sand. This coaching staff is average.....

This would be relevant if both games happened in 2015, but they didn't.

Last edited:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for Exes, I have to say this is the first time I have hope in awhile. It exciting seeing the youngsters make plays. I think I read that 17 freshmen played vs Rice. At least half made a serious contribution. This season is going to be filled with moments of great individual plays from freshmen athletes, followed by painful acts of freshmen stupidity. That may suck for today, but it bodes well for the future

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for Exes, I have to say this is the first time I have hope in awhile. It exciting seeing the youngsters make plays. I think I read that 17 freshmen played vs Rice. At least half made a serious contribution. This season is going to be filled with moments of great individual plays from freshmen athletes, followed by painful acts of freshmen stupidity. That may suck for today, but it bodes well for the future

I'm actually in favor if Strong just starting all freshmen. Like Jefe said, if the older guys can't cut it and are as bad as people say, then sit them on the bench. Daje was calling out people left and right after the ND game about players who have been here for a while and just have no heart. Bench 'em all, let Charlie sort 'em out......

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be relevant if both games happened in 2015, but they didn't.

Same team and same massive O-line who slapped our interior linemen silly and rushed for 200 yds on Bedford's defense and that was with 1st rounder Malcolm Brown. Toledo held that running game to 100 yds. Just saying.....

We'll agree to disagree but the schemes and game plans are just awful and it's plain as day.....

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought they would be better this year.

I was wrong.
Yeah....especially after what happened to ND this weekend. Texas must just be terrible. I really thought Strong was going to work out but it seems like their who athletic department is just toxic right now. They're going to need to clean house after the season (AD and Coach) and start anew next year. Far too much talent to be as bad as they are.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Same team and same massive O-line who slapped our interior linemen silly and rushed for 200 yds on Bedford's defense and that was with 1st rounder Malcolm Brown. Toledo held that running game to 100 yds. Just saying.....

We'll agree to disagree but the schemes and game plans are just awful and it's plain as day.....

Considering where the defense finished in all the adjusted stats last year, there really isnt an argument. If you think Strong has bad defensive schemes, than you just dont watch football or understand it. His reputation and history attest to that. Toledo gave up over 500 yards of offense to Arkansas. That is 150 more than Texas gave. Texas did hold Ark to under 4 yards a carry, so the idea that the Texas defense was just run over is just in your head. The biggest difference is Toledo had over 300 yards of offense vs 59. That is me just saying

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....especially after what happened to ND this weekend. Texas must just be terrible. I really thought Strong was going to work out but it seems like their who athletic department is just toxic right now. They're going to need to clean house after the season (AD and Coach) and start anew next year. Far too much talent to be as bad as they are.

No idea why people continue the myth about Texas being very talented. There is a noticeable difference in the Freshman and the upper classmen when they are on the field. People just assume there is a lot of talent there, because it is TExas. If that was the case 17 freshmen would not have played vs Rice.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No idea why people continue the myth about Texas being very talented. There is a noticeable difference in the Freshman and the upper classmen when they are on the field. People just assume there is a lot of talent there, because it is TExas. If that was the case 17 freshmen would not have played vs Rice.
I'm talking about the recruiting classes.

2015 - 1 five star, 14 four stars
2014 - 6 four stars
2013 - 9 four stars
2012 - 2 five stars, 15 four stars

Now your 2013 and 2014 classes were nothing to write home about, but your senior class should be loaded, as should your freshman class. You have more potential talent on the team than most over that 4 year span. There's probably only a 10-20 teams who've recruited as well as Texas has. It's not for lack of talent that Texas is failing.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2014 - 6 four stars
2013 - 9 four stars

Now your 2013 and 2014 classes were nothing to write home about, but your senior class should be loaded, as should your freshman class. You have more potential talent on the team than most over that 4 year span. There's probably only a 10-20 teams who've recruited as well as Texas has. It's not for lack of talent that Texas is failing.

There are 11-12 seniors left, but you are quoting 17 players. Like I said those stats are not exactly pertinent. The biggest number you have is the 2015 class, which is excelling, but they are true freshmen. You dont win with true freshmen.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The toxicity is from Patterson, not Strong.

Strong does not need to be 'cleaned out'. It's the second game of his second season.

Are you going to be calling for Harbaugh's head if he's 6-7 in year one, and 1-1 in season two?

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2014 - 6 four stars
2013 - 9 four stars

You just dont understand the facts.

There is NO senior class, other than a couple of players. To say that the 'senior class' (MBrown's players) should be 'loaded' is just plain wrong.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The other issue I have with quoting class rankings is it fails to judge the dispersion of scholarships, it simply measures overall stars and particularly the rankings are skewed to the highest rated players, not overall talent. In Macks last 3 year he had classes of 0 DL and 0 OL. I dont care how good the other players are in a class, but if you have a class with 0 DL, you are going to have issues.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The toxicity is from Patterson, not Strong.

Strong does not need to be 'cleaned out'. It's the second game of his second season.

Are you going to be calling for Harbaugh's head if he's 6-7 in year one, and 1-1 in season two?

I saw something funny. If Texas wins on Saturday, they will have the best start in 3 years. Just think about that and it is easily the hardest opening 3 games Texas has seen.

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the problems are almost entirely personnel.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is about distribution as well. Texas did not recruit distribution well.
If a team recruits fifteen 5-stars who all play the exact same position, it doesnt help the team.

I think Mack just fell in love with running backs like no other position.
He barely gave lip service (until his final desparation class) to recruiting interior linemen.

Heck, Mack decided to not even recruit D-linemen at all the last two years for whatever reason.
So, Texas would get a greatly rated class. But, it would be silly redundant at positions.

That is why Texas has a zillion running backs every year highly rated....and seemingly always thin at O-line.
TEXAS simply does not have a lot of well distributed talent, despite reading the 2013 website rankings.

Only the freshman class distribution makes any sense at all if you examine the screwed up roster.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the problems are almost entirely personnel.

I do think Watson was a bit of a putz. I did not like his schemes. Its mostly personnel, but he did little to alleviate the pressure on the under-manned OL. I thought Saturday was a huge improvement. Just a couple things I noticed. I saw some QB Power concepts and Norvell is out talking about reducing the playbook. Running less plays, but with better execution and more practice reps on them. Those 2 things have Traylor written all over them, that makes me very happy