• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey Texas how's that Charlie Strong hire working out

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think having their voice heard is the problem. The problem was multiple donors hand picked a coach to succeed Mack and have thrown a fit since Strong was hired instead.

I know a couple of the people personally you're talking about. There was friction over the Charlie Strong hire. I actually agreed with them (as if an OU alum's opinion would mean a damn thing to them). UT could have and should have done better. I think they rushed the entire process and instead of living with one more year of Mack and taking their time to hire an elite coach you are now going to have to live with several years of mediocrity until you get the right coach. As an OU fan I should love it. But as a college football fan I hate it because I prefer a strong Texas.....assuming OU is good enough to beat a strong Texas. If Charlie is 0-3 against Oklahoma and getting beat ugly next year he will be history.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think having their voice heard is the problem. The problem was multiple donors hand picked a coach to succeed Mack and have thrown a fit since Strong was hired instead.

Exactly! Along with a few other big decisions.

Goldbug, I'm ok with the small stuff "ticket priority," "seating priority" for big events. Absolutely. No problem. It's the big decisions that they have been allowed to be involved in under Dodds. Screw that, because the "good ole boys" club did NOT build UT nor OU. Trust me. There donations are a drop in the bucket. You might want to look up the ownership of some of those oil fields out in west Texas. The PUF holds approximately $8.8 billion in investments and 2,100,000 acres in West Texas and those numbers are old. UT gets at least 150 million a year from that not to mention general revenue. The donors are nice and I appreciate what they do, but we would hardly be in "sad financial shape" without them. It would never happen anyway.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! Along with a few other big decisions.

Goldbug, I'm ok with the small stuff "ticket priority," "seating priority" for big events. Absolutely. No problem. It's the big decisions that they have been allowed to be involved in under Dodds. Screw that, because the "good ole boys" club did NOT build UT nor OU. Trust me. There donations are a drop in the bucket. You might want to look up the ownership of some of those oil fields out in west Texas. The PUF holds approximately $8.8 billion in investments and 2,100,000 acres in West Texas and those numbers are old. UT gets at least 150 million a year from that not to mention general revenue. The donors are nice and I appreciate what they do, but we would hardly be in "sad financial shape" without them. It would never happen anyway.

Texas is lucky to have the endowment is has. That's why you guys are richer than six inches up a bull's ass. But it goes beyond just the money. The donors have a tremendous amount of political pull. aTm and UT have been about equal in that regards over the years. But you add in the outliers like Baylor and the Texas Wreck crowd and it gets pretty funky in Texas as to who is going to be Top Dog. The donors who pony up the most money are going to demand an outsized amount of influence. If those people pick up their chips and go home then a school loses money (which to Texas is actually not that big of a deal but you are the exception) but they also lose power in the political arena at the state capitol. You might not like them but ya gotta keep them happy.......something the UT athletic director doesn't seem to care about. Those donors will still be around long after they eventually get his ass fired.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a hot rumor earlier that Patterson may not last this football season and Strong may be on the hotseat THIS year. 6mm buyout for Patterson, no idea about Charlie's buy out. Any truth to it at all Texas guys?

Also, some WVU circles are whispering Oliver Lucks name (WVU AND UT grad) as a replacement and frankly, that scares the crap out of me. Luck in Austin would be trouble for the rest of the Big12 imo but I also seen the Louisville AD as someone to keep an eye on.... and honestly that would concern me as well. What say you?

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a hot rumor earlier that Patterson may not last this football season and Strong may be on the hotseat THIS year. 6mm buyout for Patterson, no idea about Charlie's buy out. Any truth to it at all Texas guys?

Also, some WVU circles are whispering Oliver Lucks name (WVU AND UT grad) as a replacement and frankly, that scares the crap out of me. Luck in Austin would be trouble for the rest of the Big12 imo but I also seen the Louisville AD as someone to keep an eye on.... and honestly that would concern me as well. What say you?

Rumors are just that, rumors. In this case, it does look like there is some smoke. Usually where there is smoke, there is fire. Luck was the front runner two years ago. Something happened and they went with Patterson. Who knows if Luck even wants the job now.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh

If Texas freaking beats Cal, this will be their best start in 3 years.
They beat WVU and OSU quite easily last year with an equally horrible offense and team.

If they can hold serve with those teams and maybe pick up either OU/K-state...it will be a progress season.
Texas wasnt beating any of the truly elite teams until they repair the O-line.

We were deluding ourselves by expecting some dramatic reshaping after one cycle.
So, I think there is way too much over-reaction after Notre Dame.

We need to judge the progress after the season is complete and see how they did versus the middle.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sigh

If Texas freaking beats Cal, this will be their best start in 3 years.
They beat WVU and OSU quite easily last year with an equally horrible offense and team.

If they can hold serve with those teams and maybe pick up either OU/K-state...it will be a progress season.
Texas wasnt beating any of the truly elite teams until they repair the O-line.

We were deluding ourselves by expecting some dramatic reshaping after one cycle.
So, I think there is way too much over-reaction after Notre Dame.

We need to judge the progress after the season is complete and see how they did versus the middle.
I don't disagree but from my understanding it goes beyond wins and loses, with Patterson at least.

Phantom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
God, will this man ever go away??????????

Texas Jefe

Come and take it
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love MB for winning us a championship, but his passive/aggressive shake your hand/while stabbing your kidney schtick this time pissed me off.

After a 1 1/2 years of not commenting on the program and CS, when a reporter last week asked him if he felt any responsibility for the current situation the team is in (as in leaving a bad roster) he said:

"No. Not at all. If that was the case, then J.Makovic would get credit for my 1998 team. No, they had all those suspensions and guys leaving and last year didnt turn out so well."

Well Mack, yes, Makovic left you Ricky Williams (without him, we'd have won about 4 games that year), Casey Hampton (NFL all pro) Shaun Rodgers (NFL, beast), Wane McGarity (great player, NFL), Jay Humphrey (NFL), DD Lewis (NFL), Major Applewhite, etc.

Why comment NOW, when they're down, Mack? Why now?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know a couple of the people personally you're talking about. There was friction over the Charlie Strong hire. I actually agreed with them (as if an OU alum's opinion would mean a damn thing to them). UT could have and should have done better. I think they rushed the entire process and instead of living with one more year of Mack and taking their time to hire an elite coach you are now going to have to live with several years of mediocrity until you get the right coach. As an OU fan I should love it. But as a college football fan I hate it because I prefer a strong Texas.....assuming OU is good enough to beat a strong Texas. If Charlie is 0-3 against Oklahoma and getting beat ugly next year he will be history.
There are 2 things hurting Charlie. First it's the idea that elite coaches are lining up at Texas's door. It's fantasy land. Coaches know the talent that was here. This wasn't going to be a quick fix. OutsiDE of Urban and Saban, there wasn't a sure fire guy out there and those 2 weren't coming. Secondly, I think Charlie's sun tan has people lined up cheering for him to fail. That is just my opinion, but it's the feeling I get

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah....especially after what happened to ND this weekend. Texas must just be terrible. I really thought Strong was going to work out but it seems like their who athletic department is just toxic right now. They're going to need to clean house after the season (AD and Coach) and start anew next year. Far too much talent to be as bad as they are.

What planet do you live on?

They're not gonna fire Strong after just 2 years, based on W/L record alone.

The AD is another matter.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What planet do you live on?

They're not gonna fire Strong after just 2 years, based on W/L record alone.

The AD is another matter.

I don't know, anything is possible especially if they look like they did against ND against every decent opponent this year. And there's more than just W/L record, Strong started, and continues, to have a terrible reputation with alumni.