• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's The Game Plan For Flyers Moving Forward

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers have 13 games in the next 27 days starting tomorrow, before the Olympic Break - I think they should strongly consider having Steve Mason starting all 13 games - he's only played 3 games in the last 10 days, so he should actually be rested - the Flyers need to get as many points as they can starting tomorrow night in Buffalo - they only play one back to back from here on out to the Olympic Break and that is a Monday afternoon-Tuesday night b2b next week, so it should actually be favorable for Mase to go all the way

Also, with the Olympic Break, Mase will end up getting about 2 1/2 weeks off so he'll be rested for the stretch run as well - I realize that if this is the case, Razor won't get another start for a while but he just seems too slow and I don't want to see him in net for a while - the Flyers need to stop messing around and let Mase take the ball all the way to the Olympic Break

sanfrand

FFL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all about intensity. They need to get rolling and sitting Downie was a great first step.

I_Shall_Return

The Umpire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should try really mixing up the lines. Shake things up a little. Maybe try to play some team defense. Flyers have a lot of talent, might just need to break up line mates & try some new stuff. They'll get back going again.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should try really mixing up the lines. Shake things up a little. Maybe try to play some team defense. Flyers have a lot of talent, might just need to break up line mates & try some new stuff. They'll get back going again.

Well, with a few injuries to guys like Matt Read and benching Steve Downie, it's somewhat hard to break it up - however, when they put Michael Raffl with Jake Voracek and G that line started really clicking

The issue isn't really lines, it's more so the fact they went away from playing their system - they started playing run and gun(Tampa goaded them into it somewhat) and that's not how they should play - as long as they play within their system, they should be fine - I can see tweaks to lines here and there but I don't think they have to put the lines into a mixer, as they would say - just need to get everyone healthy and then play within the system

The defense is up and down it seems - some games they look good and some games they don't - I'd like to see them make a move that could be subtle yet would really help them on defense

Progeriakid

Hanging Pork
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Coburn is on this team I will not take this D seriously!! He's good for 3-5 mental giveaways a game that either lead to other team goals or a teammate to bail him out for his dumb blunder. I would really like to see him on aother teams roster.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As long as Coburn is on this team I will not take this D seriously!! He's good for 3-5 mental giveaways a game that either lead to other team goals or a teammate to bail him out for his dumb blunder. I would really like to see him on aother teams roster.

Nicklas Grossmann is no better - he's slow and he makes some awful plays, they started praising him the other day and he started screwing up again

Braydon Coburn does make some really retarded mistakes but he's one of the few guys on this defense who can skate well and log a lot of minutes - and boy do the Flyers need that - I think they can live with a few mistakes here and there, it's not like the other guys aren't making mistakes either

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Defensive Defensemen always get noticed for their mistakes and rarely for their good play. Through no fault of anyone, it's just how it is. They're like offensive linemen or referees, the biggest compliment they get is 'I didn't notice them today'. Coburn and Grossmann both fit this mold. The flyers would be completely fucked without either of them.

As for the goaltending, I agree with riding your starter, but there's no way he starts 13 straight right now. I say he goes 11/13. Gotta give him a break here and there. That's not an overwhelming schedule, true, but I highly doubt he goes in back to back nights and I'm guessing there's at least 2 of those coming before the break. Plus, Emery has not been that bad. Patrick Roy and Marty broduer could've shared the net last night and they still would've lost the game. The defense was atrocious. Emery actually played quite well I thought. Could've easily been 6 or 7.

On switching the lines, I disagree. They've been playing well, especially up until read, Rinaldo, and Raffl got hurt and they had to juggle. The top 6,if healthy, should stay the top 6. I would imagine when everyone comes back Vinny will take over for Raffl though.

A couple bad games isn't the end of the world. They weren't going to win every game at home the rest of the season. Just have to make sure a 2 game blip stays a 2 game blip and doesnt turn in to a multi-game slide

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grossman and Coburn have been fantastic this year

Go out and try to replace them

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn has been very solid at even strength, but has struggled on the PK where his occasional poor decision making gets more highlighted. Grossmann has been solid on the PK, but his lack of speed and poor passing have more than offset (in a bad way) his good positional play at even strength.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we have to return to better defensive intensity, less sleepwalking, and just keep hammering shots on goal. When the D is getting worse, the remedy is to attack the opponents goal with shot after shot. If we get back to some of that we exhibited on the western swing, I am confident we will do much better.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Coburn is so under-appreciated. The type of defenseman he is is the type that only gets noticed when they make a mistake, but get no credit for the other 90% of the time when they are doing their job, because they aren't racking up offensive highlights. Braydon Coburn's skating is incredible and its extremely rare to find defensemen like him. He can be lousy at stretches, but overall Coburn is a huge asset for this team. Just wish he's play mean 100% of the time!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn has been very solid at even strength, but has struggled on the PK where his occasional poor decision making gets more highlighted. Grossmann has been solid on the PK, but his lack of speed and poor passing have more than offset (in a bad way) his good positional play at even strength.

Two solid defenseman who make occasional mistakes like every other defenseman in the league. These guys will never be mistaken for Norris trophy candidates but Id love to know who we would be able to trade these guys for straight up and get back someone better. I agree with JBM

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coburn is so under-appreciated. The type of defenseman he is is the type that only gets noticed when they make a mistake, but get no credit for the other 90% of the time when they are doing their job, because they aren't racking up offensive highlights. Braydon Coburn's skating is incredible and its extremely rare to find defensemen like him. He can be lousy at stretches, but overall Coburn is a huge asset for this team. Just wish he's play mean 100% of the time!

everything said in this post. :clap:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody please tell couts that he is expected to make an impact and keep doing so. He has gone back to his game we saw the first few weeks of the season.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice to see Harts Rev it up! Actually the whole line. I have no problem with Coburn and Grossmann they are who they are. If they found that one stud everyone would look like world beaters but they are good enough to win a cup when the forwards are doing their job.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From hockeybuzz:

On the Flyers blue-line...

A good source tells me the Flyers are looking hard to add a physical force to their blue line. someone who can help clear the porch for Mason. Currently that role is supposed to be played by Luke Schenn and Nicklas Grossmann, but the team is looking more for a "Luke Richardson" type. "A player other team's forwards will fear." I hear there has been some internal debate about Dustin Byfuglien, but I believe the Buff supporters are outweighing the naysayers.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From hockeybuzz:

On the Flyers blue-line...

A good source tells me the Flyers are looking hard to add a physical force to their blue line. someone who can help clear the porch for Mason. Currently that role is supposed to be played by Luke Schenn and Nicklas Grossmann, but the team is looking more for a "Luke Richardson" type. "A player other team's forwards will fear." I hear there has been some internal debate about Dustin Byfuglien, but I believe the Buff supporters are outweighing the naysayers.

I take no stock into HB

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dozens of deals get "discussed" everyday throughout the league, a very small % of which even come close to completion so yes, I understand your feelings about the site when he reports every little piece of info he hears as "nearing a deal!"

Having said that, do you think more nastiness on D is what this team needs?

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs more consistent defensive intensity as they have a tendency to have lapses and that is when opposing players pick-up a loose puck and often score. Whether that takes the form of more nastiness is somewhat irrelevant at this juncture.