• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's The Game Plan For Flyers Moving Forward

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team needs more consistent defensive intensity as they have a tendency to have lapses and that is when opposing players pick-up a loose puck and often score. Whether that takes the form of more nastiness is somewhat irrelevant at this juncture.

This ^......Losing Rinaldo definately hurt our nastiness.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get a puck moving d-man that is mobile - blocked shots are overrated because that means you don't have the puck enough - need d-men that will have the puck on their stick more than not - I really want Dmitry Kulikov from the Panthers

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rinaldo was consistent in that department lasgop8. We have to solve that problem with the guys we have or we are going to get bitten eventually. Not a bad d-man Cobie

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get a puck moving d-man that is mobile - blocked shots are overrated because that means you don't have the puck enough - need d-men that will have the puck on their stick more than not - I really want Dmitry Kulikov from the Panthers

We have both Timmo and Sreit.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Who would we give up for Kulikov? Would the Panthers except what were offing is another issue and he is a RFA next season. If we could clear those hurdles i would want him too.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have both Timmo and Sreit.

And those guys are getting old and we can't keep relying on them - we need to get a younger guy and Kulikov fits the bill - can't have enough good defensemen, Flyers need to go out and get one - I would really consider moving Scott Laughton for him

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would we give up for Kulikov? Would the Panthers except what were offing is another issue and he is a RFA next season. If we could clear those hurdles i would want him too.

As I said in my last post, I'd really consider moving Scott Laughton - I know everyone here loves him and I think he'll be a good player(you can't have enough centers either), but the Flyers already have G, Schenner and Couts up the middle - you could conceivably move Brayden Schenn to get Kulikov but I like Brayden Schenn's offensive game a little better and he's a guy that scores big goals for us - I think Scott Laughton would be the perfect fit for the Panthers too - Jonathan Huberdeau and Aleksander Barkov can play up the middle and if you put Scott Laughton on the 3rd line, the Panthers will have their center position locked up for the future while the Flyers get a young d-man that is still very young and could turn out to be a really good d-man that the Flyers really need to go out and get

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And those guys are getting old and we can't keep relying on them - we need to get a younger guy and Kulikov fits the bill - can't have enough good defensemen, Flyers need to go out and get one - I would really consider moving Scott Laughton for him

Well that would be a really stupid move.

We have young D-men coming, we dont need to trade some of our top assets for D- help.

We have 2 puck moving D-men on the team(mez aint bad either)

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that would be a really stupid move.

We have young D-men coming, we dont need to trade some of our top assets for D- help.

We have 2 puck moving D-men on the team(mez aint bad either)

1) I think some Flyers fans are overvaluing the young d-men coming up - you guys just assume Hagg, Ghost, etc will come in and be really good - can't assume that - if they do end up being good + you have Kulikov, imagine what this team would have in 4-5 years once Kimmo, Mark Streit and a few others are gone - you have to keep building the cupboard and stocking it, not assuming that what's already in there will work - and if you have a surplus then, then you can make a deal for whatever it may be

The Flyers have done well by stocking up in the middle with a lot of young guys - they know that if they all pan out, one of them could be moved for help on defense

Kimmo will be done after this season and Mark Streit will still have 3 years on his deal I believe after this season, so it's not like he's going to get any younger either - and Mesz has his moments of really good Hockey and I wish he'd be more consistently good but you can't count on it and I think they might have to consider letting him go

Plus, the Flyers offense has depth too - there's already 6-8 forwards that can score and Scott Laughton isn't going to be a guy that will be most likely be known for scoring, he'll be more of a shutdown guy - and I feel like the Flyers could probably draft another one in the first round even if they trade him

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I think some Flyers fans are overvaluing the young d-men coming up - you guys just assume Hagg, Ghost, etc will come in and be really good - can't assume that - if they do end up being good + you have Kulikov, imagine what this team would have in 4-5 years once Kimmo, Mark Streit and a few others are gone - you have to keep building the cupboard and stocking it, not assuming that what's already in there will work - and if you have a surplus then, then you can make a deal for whatever it may be

The Flyers have done well by stocking up in the middle with a lot of young guys - they know that if they all pan out, one of them could be moved for help on defense

Kimmo will be done after this season and Mark Streit will still have 3 years on his deal I believe after this season, so it's not like he's going to get any younger either - and Mesz has his moments of really good Hockey and I wish he'd be more consistently good but you can't count on it and I think they might have to consider letting him go

Plus, the Flyers offense has depth too - there's already 6-8 forwards that can score and Scott Laughton isn't going to be a guy that will be most likely be known for scoring, he'll be more of a shutdown guy - and I feel like the Flyers could probably draft another one in the first round even if they trade him

Fair enough.

But to say to trade Laughton who is blossoming in the OHL and was just named Captain of Canada for the junior team is crazy

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

But to say to trade Laughton who is blossoming in the OHL and was just named Captain of Canada for the junior team is crazy

If you look at his OHL stats this season, I read something not too long ago about how guys who blossom in their last season in the OHL or in any Junior league, usually don't turn out to be great offensive guys

And Scott Laughton isn't untouchable, I would trade him for any stud defenseman, because that's what the Flyers need and considering what they already have up the middle, I view it as a no-brainer - I'm not saying he's replaceable but sometimes you have to give to get and he's a good trade chip for the Flyers

The way the Flyers are playing, if they make the playoffs and are in the range that they were when they drafted Scott Laughton two years ago, they might be able to find another guy like him - they do pretty well of picking in the 1st round it seems

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in my last post, I'd really consider moving Scott Laughton - I know everyone here loves him and I think he'll be a good player(you can't have enough centers either), but the Flyers already have G, Schenner and Couts up the middle - you could conceivably move Brayden Schenn to get Kulikov but I like Brayden Schenn's offensive game a little better and he's a guy that scores big goals for us - I think Scott Laughton would be the perfect fit for the Panthers too - Jonathan Huberdeau and Aleksander Barkov can play up the middle and if you put Scott Laughton on the 3rd line, the Panthers will have their center position locked up for the future while the Flyers get a young d-man that is still very young and could turn out to be a really good d-man that the Flyers really need to go out and get

It a known fact that good young defenseman are at a premium. Why would the Panthers trade a solid young defenseman for a third line center?? and i also mentioned he's a RFA at seasons end.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It a known fact that good young defenseman are at a premium. Why would the Panthers trade a solid young defenseman for a third line center?? and i also mentioned he's a RFA at seasons end.

Panthers almost traded Kulikov to Colorado not too long ago and they're going to be very active - and you never know how the Panthers value a guy like Scott Laughton - the Panthers might actually like him - you never know - but I would love to have Kulikov, without any doubt

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you make a move like that you better hope that Kulikov is a game changer. I know Mez has been playing better of late but it may be a good time to move him with a pick or prospect to upgrade the D. Would help the cap too. Unless you want Buff playing forward you need to stay away from him he's simply not strong enough at D too much of a liability back there.

4thstreet

You should pay me for being here!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,850.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents

Nice avi Las

Never liked the Streit acquisition.As for our defence-Grossman,Schenn and Coburn,are all big boys.Play with some goddamn snarl.

Laurisden(spelling) played with a tough attitude when he came up,give him a shot.

As for Emery-trade/release/bring back Leighton-or throw the bones of Kate Smith between the pipes over him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would only trade laughton if i thought it made the flyers a cup contender. if you think kulikov makes the flyers a cup contender, i'm fine w/ moving laughton for him. but i don't think kulikov makes the flyers any more of a cup contender than where they currently are.

laughton is the last bullet in the flyers chamber as far as a big acquisition without losing something from your current roster. morin probably isn't far enough along to bring back something big. hagg hasn't shown enough. ghost is too risky (boom/bust). you don't have to gut the farm to try to make a run for the cup every single season. be patient, hope you're hot at the right time. if the flyers can match their december play come april/may, they can compete for a cup. keep your young pieces so you can bring them up on ELC's and make a huge value addition to the flyers in couple seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest problem with Kulikov is that Florida wants a ton for a guy who could just be a rental as he might go back to Russia. The reason Florida is looking to move him is that they don't think they can resign him at the end of the season.

Is Kulikov the answer? Geez, I don't know, can't say I've really watched him much. I don't recall him standing out in any games against the Flyers, but that doesn't necessarily mean much. Would I trade Laughton for him considering the flight risk? No. But, I would DEFINITELY trade Laughton for the right D-man. I'm just not sure who that is...

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My 2 cents

Nice avi Las

Never liked the Streit acquisition.As for our defence-Grossman,Schenn and Coburn,are all big boys.Play with some goddamn snarl.

Laurisden(spelling) played with a tough attitude when he came up,give him a shot.

As for Emery-trade/release/bring back Leighton-or throw the bones of Kate Smith between the pipes over him.

I agree on Emery. Not only has he been statistically terrible with a 5-8 record, 2.95 gaa and .896 save %, but we appear to (for whatever reason) score fewer goals for him than we do for Mason.

Furthermore, we've scored three or more goals in 4 of 13 starts for Emery. That's only about 31% of the time.

In contrast, we've scored three or more goals in 18 of 34 starts for Mason. That is good for 53% of the time.

This includes the terrible 15 game scoring slump to open the season, during which Mason started 11 of those games.