• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's the Draft Thread

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We get worse at 2 positions in the offseason, have major holes on this team and take a player who won't play for 2 years. No wonder we never get out of the first round of the playoffs.

The 'Bengals have been drafting great' schtick over the last 5 or 6 years is played. We're an average (at best) drafting team, and seem to blow more picks than not.

I'm calling it a win we got through 3 rounds without drafting a TE.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The 'Bengals have been drafting great' schtick over the last 5 or 6 years is played. We're an average (at best) drafting team, and seem to blow more picks than not.

I'm calling it a win we got through 3 rounds without drafting a TE.

They built one of the most talented rosters in the NFL almost exclusively through the draft. Every team misses on players. The draft is a crapshoot but the Bengals have been better at it than everyone else

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing is, the Bengals have really held to their drafting the best guy on the board. It leads to drafts like last year, taking two offensive tackles. It also prevents them from grabbing guys who might have a bit more flash, and fans want flash.

The Bengals have done a solid job at drafting players with substance that can contribute somewhere on the team. Yeah, they draft guys and sometimes they don't start for a year or two, but it's not like this team has a ton of open spots for guys to be drafted and just come in right away and start.

It's not the 90's draft, where there are so many holes every guy drafted has a shot to start. This is a team that has strung together a lot of winning seasons, division titles, and playoff appearances (losses, but still making it...). When you have teams that do that, you see that most of their drafts are not centered around landing guys who are going to start right away. There just aren't that many open spots.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish they would admit that Bodine was a mistake and draft another center, at last for competition.
Now we have another first round corner who has to earn playing time, but the 4th round center, who sucks, gets handed the job with no fear of losing it, ever.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the thing is, the Bengals have really held to their drafting the best guy on the board. It leads to drafts like last year, taking two offensive tackles. It also prevents them from grabbing guys who might have a bit more flash, and fans want flash.

I agree with you, and I think they do this to a fault at times. There are plenty of high draft picks the Bengals have had where they draft guys who you just know aren't going to contribute for multiple years, if ever.

Just offhand without looking, I would throw Jake Fisher, Tyler Kroft, Margus Hunt, and Orson Charles into this group. Rounds 2-4 should be guys that are making an impact on the field. Taking the best available is fine to a degree, but lets not knowingly blow picks on a guy who will sit 3rd on a depth chart for 3 years.

ckhokie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to address DT. Billings is a good player. Happy with the pick.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billings was one of my favorite players in this draft. I thought we might take him in the 1st, never imagined he'd be there in the 4th. I'm happy with our draft so far.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish they would admit that Bodine was a mistake and draft another center, at last for competition.
Now we have another first round corner who has to earn playing time, but the 4th round center, who sucks, gets handed the job with no fear of losing it, ever.

This I do agree with. There's no reason whatsoever to be as committed to Bodine as they are. Other than sure stubbornness because they traded up for him.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This better not be Zeitler's replacement

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you, and I think they do this to a fault at times. There are plenty of high draft picks the Bengals have had where they draft guys who you just know aren't going to contribute for multiple years, if ever.

Just offhand without looking, I would throw Jake Fisher, Tyler Kroft, Margus Hunt, and Orson Charles into this group. Rounds 2-4 should be guys that are making an impact on the field. Taking the best available is fine to a degree, but lets not knowingly blow picks on a guy who will sit 3rd on a depth chart for 3 years.
I think it's too early to tell on Fisher. I mean, he was just drafted last year, and did play some. I think, long term, he's a guard.

Can't argue about the others, though, and you have a valid point.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This better not be Zeitler's replacement

I think Zeitler is as good as gone unfortunately.

With the Eifert extension coming and amount of resources devoted to the OL the past couple drafts, I could see them letting him walk like they did Steinbach back in the day.

The moment we resigned Boling and Whit this was a done deal IMO.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty happy with the draft. 'bout to mix some orange kool aid right now.

:)