• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have you ever cried over a sporting event?

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only once. The 1988 NL Playoffs when the Mets came back from a 3-0 deficit to beat the Dodgers. Freaking Kal Daniels hitting into a double play with Strawberry on deck
Weren't you really heavy in the blow at the time of this series?

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Confession time. This could be for happy reasons or sad reasons, or just because you like to cry. And no, complaining over a bad call doesn't count unless you actually shed tears over it.

I'll start. There have been two times I cried. 1991 NFC championship game when the New York Giants beat the Niners 15-13 on a field goal as time expired. Before that FG, Roger Craig fumbled and the Giants hurt Joe Montana (again!). Ended the Niners' threepeat attempt. I was 11 years old then, so I think I should get a pass.

The other time was when the 1993 San Francisco Giants missed out on the postseason on the last day of the regular season. Giants had led the West almost all season and then fell behind by 5 games in the last month. They made a furious comeback to tie the Braves only to be blown out by the Dodgers in Game 162 after the Braves finished a season sweep of the Rockies earlier that day (something like 13-0 against Colorado that season. Damn the Rockies!!). I was 14 years old then, so looking back at it now, I feel ridiculous.
The Colts Super Bowl over the Bears.
The day Michael Jordan announced his retirement.
The day Tony Stewart finally won the Brickyard.
The day Peyton Manning gave his goodbye speech to the city of Indianapolis.
Jim Valvano ESPY speech.

CaptainStubing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an adult, the only time I shed some tears for a sporting event was when my Royals won the World Series in 2015

Trudem

He's no good to me dead!
Hoopla Cash
$ 350.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Once...after TO caught the TD because Rice fumbled and the Packers got jobbed.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010 I was coaching my grandson's AYF football team. They were all 8 year olds. The opposing team's running back broke a long run and was about 5 yards in front of one my players when he collapsed and fell.
It took the 400 LB ref about thirty seconds to blow the whistle and signal for a coach to check out the kid. I ran out onto the field and sent my team to the sidelines and had my ass't keep them away. There was no ambulance and we immediately called for one. Both the other coach and I did CPR on the little guy, but he died.
He had an undetected and rare heart defect. The tears are coming back to me now as I can still see the excited look in his eyes about the touchdown he never got to finish.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think I have ever cried, but some of the Eagles playoff losses during the Andy Reid era had me depressed for weeks. The NFC title game loss to the Bucs in particular was devastating. That was the best Eagles team of the Reid tenure, better than the one that lost in the Super Bowl to the Pats. Sadly Reid didn't run it enough against the speedy but light Tampa Bay defense and lost the game. I think if the team had gone on to win, it also would have beaten the Bill Callahan Raiders that season.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In 2010 I was coaching my grandson's AYF football team. They were all 8 year olds. The opposing team's running back broke a long run and was about 5 yards in front of one my players when he collapsed and fell.
It took the 400 LB ref about thirty seconds to blow the whistle and signal for a coach to check out the kid. I ran out onto the field and sent my team to the sidelines and had my ass't keep them away. There was no ambulance and we immediately called for one. Both the other coach and I did CPR on the little guy, but he died.
He had an undetected and rare heart defect. The tears are coming back to me now as I can still see the excited look in his eyes about the touchdown he never got to finish.

That's heartbreaking. Man.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's heartbreaking. Man.

I can't believe that my grandson will be going to college next year and that this was almost 10 years ago. When I think of it, it seems like yesterday. I never yelled at a player from that day forward.

A child's life is precious and it was a valuable and cruel lesson for me.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely! Two times stand out for me:

1) Attending a game right after 9/11
2) Witnessing my first flyover during the National Anthem at an OSU-Michigan game

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably a couple of Cowboy and Yankee losses when I was a little kid in the late 70's/early 80's - FU Dwight Clark and Jackie Smith

I definitely teared up when my daughter won the NYS Gymnastics gold medal for her age and division

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

brutal

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cried like a baby when Ralph Sampson hit the shot at the free throw line to eliminate the Lakers.

Felt like crying but it was more like stunned silence when Baltimore came down and kicked the Titans' ass in '09.

The only other thing that comes to mind is the terrible call that eliminated the Padres against the Brewers.