• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Has anyone read Brian Kenny's new book?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just requested it from the library. I'll let you guys know what I think

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, the description of it on Amazon was pretty off-putting for me. If anything, I think this book is more targeted for people that aren't quite on board with sabermetrics. Kenny's a smart guy and it will probably end up being a good book, but just going by the description, it doesn't sound like anything ground-breaking.

Forget batting average. Kill the “Win.” Say goodbye to starting pitchers. And please, please stop bunting. In Ahead of the Curve, Brian Kenny shows how baseball has been revolutionized—not destroyed—by analytical thinking.

Most people who resist logical thought in baseball preach “tradition” and “respecting the game.” But many of baseball’s traditions go back to the nineteenth century, when the pitcher’s job was to provide the batter with a ball he could hit and fielders played without gloves. Instead of fearing change, Brian Kenny wants fans to think critically, reject outmoded groupthink, and embrace the changes that have come with the “sabermetric era.” In his entertaining and enlightening book, Kenny discusses why the pitching win-loss record, the Triple Crown, fielding errors, and so-called battling titles should be ignored.

He also points out how fossilized sportswriters have been electing the wrong MVP’s and ignoring legitimate candidates for the Hall of Fame; why managers are hired based on their looks; and how the most important position in baseball may just be “Director of Decision Sciences.”

Ahead of the Curve debunks the old way of analyzing baseball and ushers in a new era of straightforward logic. Illustrated with unique anecdotes from those who have reshaped the game, it’s a must-read for fans, players, managers, and fantasy enthusiasts. A fresh, fascinating analysis of baseball, Ahead of the Curve will deepen every reader’s appreciation of the game.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Sabermetrics and all that stuff, I'm always looking for occurrences in baseball that are not captured in any stat and I saw an interesting one the other day. The Reds were batting with two outs, Billy Hamilton on third, Jay Bruce on first. Hamilton was taking a huge lead, as if he might try to steal home. So the pitcher throws the ball to the plate and Bruce jogs into 2nd without even a throw and is given a stolen base. This wasn't one of those "catchers indifference" plays a the end of the game. The other team was so afraid that they would either not throw out Bruce, (whose track record shows he is a bad base stealer) or that Hamilton would steal home before they tagged Bruce out. A couple pitches later the batter (I think it was Duvall) hits a single and the Reds score two runs instead of one. If anyone but Hamilton is on third base, I don't think Bruce even considers trying to steal 2nd.
That's just one of those things that I think is still not captured even with all the advanced stats we have.

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of Sabermetrics and all that stuff, I'm always looking for occurrences in baseball that are not captured in any stat and I saw an interesting one the other day. The Reds were batting with two outs, Billy Hamilton on third, Jay Bruce on first. Hamilton was taking a huge lead, as if he might try to steal home. So the pitcher throws the ball to the plate and Bruce jogs into 2nd without even a throw and is given a stolen base. This wasn't one of those "catchers indifference" plays a the end of the game. The other team was so afraid that they would either not throw out Bruce, (whose track record shows he is a bad base stealer) or that Hamilton would steal home before they tagged Bruce out. A couple pitches later the batter (I think it was Duvall) hits a single and the Reds score two runs instead of one.
That's just one of those things that I think is still not captured even with all the advanced stats we have.
You should write a book

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever need someone to float you money... definitely don't come to me. I'm broke and your concept is shit

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ever need someone to float you money... definitely don't come to me. I'm broke and your concept is shit
wow, that is a blow to my ego. I was looking forward to having a quote on the back cover from the author of "The Encyclopedia of low end Chinese and fast food restaurants in the DE/PA/NJ area".

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck do I know. That book will probably be amazing. I'll give you 100 grand and a China King coupon as a bonus for when you sell 10,000 copies

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck do I know. That book will probably be amazing. I'll give you 100 grand and a China King coupon as a bonus for when you sell 10,000 copies
word