• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gus Bradley new Jaguars HC

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got a breaking news alert via Shefter that Gus Bradley has accepted the Jaguars HC job! Guess that means Roman stays with us?!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man there are some random names being selected as coaches these days...

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sweet! Happy that Roman will be around another year (unless he goes to coach AZ which seems unlikely).

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless there's something we don't know about his qualifications, the irony is us winning probably hurt Roman's chance for a HC job this season.

Smalls

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
This is pretty surprising to me. Not that Gus Bradley got a job, just that Roman (and apparently Gamble) both seem to be staying. Knock on wood.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Man there are some random names being selected as coaches these days...

He's not all that random unless I'm misunderstanding your point? While Bradley to my knowledge hadn't gotten a HC interview before this season, he was quite a popular name this offseason and CSN Philadelphia reported that the Eagles were close to naming him head coach right before Chip Kelly reversed course and decided to take that job instead.

As far as my thought on this. I guess when you have your guy, you have your guy, but I'm quite surprised it went down just like this. I thought for sure Roman was gone. A fantastic bit of news for SF. The only scary thing left is if Arizona decides to draw their search out and all of a sudden turns to SF, but their search appears to be winding down somewhat. I really hope they don't hire Arians, but I suppose I could live with it as long as they don't draw this out and target Roman.

Once again I was wrong this offseason but maybe it's like I said, when you have your guy, you have your guy. Gamble and Roman (for now) back! Wahoo!

Yoshi

LOS CATALANES SUPREMA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got a breaking news alert via Shefter that Gus Bradley has accepted the Jaguars HC job! Guess that means Roman stays with us?!

Trance! What's up buddy? We've been posting at the soccer forum but I guess I'll start up a thread here on the 49ers OT thread. Lots of rumors going on in soccerland with who's going where.

trancemeister

Niner Faithful
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trance! What's up buddy? We've been posting at the soccer forum but I guess I'll start up a thread here on the 49ers OT thread. Lots of rumors going on in soccerland with who's going where.

What's going on Yosh! Work has been a nightmare these past 6 months or so and besides popping in and out to read up on news I haven't had time to keep up with much else. It's funny you mention the soccer forum. I was just browsing it and saw the rumors thread. Things have finally started slowing down so I'll be able to post a lot more now. Cheers!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is kind of like two birds with one stone.

49ers get to keep Roman (maybe), and the Seahawks defense takes a step back.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is kind of like two birds with one stone.

49ers get to keep Roman (maybe), and the Seahawks defense takes a step back.

In some areas, sure, I can buy the idea that they possibly take steps backwards. It would be fair to assume some things will need to start or could start from square one at the very least.

In the grand picture, though, I don't necessarily buy in that no matter what they'll take a step back in totality. We'll see depending on the move(s) they make from here on out.

I'd have said the same thing about Greg Roman as much as I like him and think it could/would hurt the 49ers if he would have left (or were to leave). My thoughts on Harbaugh as a HC aren't as wonderful without Greg Roman along side him as OC as they are with him, but I wouldn't argue that it's an absolute guarantee the 49ers become worse without Greg Roman either.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are cards the last team left? I haven't followed the coaching changes very closely.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
are cards the last team left? I haven't followed the coaching changes very closely.

Yep. Sounds like Jay Gruden is in the lead for the position, but as we've seen over the last few days-anything can happen.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Cardinals job is about as unattractive as they come which is why they can't fill it.

I mean who wants to walk into the NFC West against with the 9ers and Seahawks along with the fast rising Rams.

Fortunately the defense you would inherit is sound but you're talking about needing to upgrade all 5 linemen spots, running backs, TE, and most importantly your QB. The only thing you have to work with is the WR corp.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In some areas, sure, I can buy the idea that they possibly take steps backwards. It would be fair to assume some things will need to start or could start from square one at the very least.

In the grand picture, though, I don't necessarily buy in that no matter what they'll take a step back in totality. We'll see depending on the move(s) they make from here on out.

I'd have said the same thing about Greg Roman as much as I like him and think it could/would hurt the 49ers if he would have left (or were to leave). My thoughts on Harbaugh as a HC aren't as wonderful without Greg Roman along side him as OC as they are with him, but I wouldn't argue that it's an absolute guarantee the 49ers become worse without Greg Roman either.

Oh, I didn't mean they'd fall apart. Just meant that they'd probably be weakened a little unless the next DC is just as good. I expect the 49ers to take a step back if and when they lose Roman and Fangio.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No doubt! And I am really shocked that Roman didn't get a more serious look. Their loss is our gain :)

Here's the link to the story now...

Gus Bradley agrees to coach Jacksonville Jaguars - ESPN

He couldn't have gotten a more serious look until the 9ers win the SB on February 2nd. Coaches aren't allowed to talk to other teams while their season is still alive. I think. It used to be that way, anyhoo.

Arizona is still an option, but I feel the same way about Arizona as I do about Jacksonville. Why would a promising young coach want to go there? You're almost guaranteed to fail given the culture of that team. They've had one regular season with double digit wins since the league went to a 16-game schedule. And ownership just fired the coach who produced it.

The only things Arizona has going for it are the nice, new stadium and Larry Fitzgerald. No QB. Overrated defense. Terrible owner. Terrible history. No homefield advantage (when the Cowboys play there, they get rewarded with another home game). I get wanting to make more money than what an OC makes, but I'd rather wait till next year and see what else opens up. Chicago, Philly, SD, KC and Cleveland were all better options, and Carolina might be looking for a new coach next year. NO, too. Dallas, too, but that's a whole other can of worms.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He couldn't have gotten a more serious look until the 9ers win the SB on February 2nd. Coaches aren't allowed to talk to other teams while their season is still alive. I think. It used to be that way, anyhoo.

Arizona is still an option, but I feel the same way about Arizona as I do about Jacksonville. Why would a promising young coach want to go there? You're almost guaranteed to fail given the culture of that team. They've had one regular season with double digit wins since the league went to a 16-game schedule. And ownership just fired the coach who produced it.

The only things Arizona has going for it are the nice, new stadium and Larry Fitzgerald. No QB. Overrated defense. Terrible owner. Terrible history. No homefield advantage (when the Cowboys play there, they get rewarded with another home game). I get wanting to make more money than what an OC makes, but I'd rather wait till next year and see what else opens up. Chicago, Philly, SD, KC and Cleveland were all better options, and Carolina might be looking for a new coach next year. NO, too. Dallas, too, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Teams can interview coaches that are still alive but it has to be during a bye week. Roman could have interviewed with the Jaguars before last week had both sides wanted him to do so. I believe Roman, or any assistant for that matter, could interview for a HC position during the bye week before the Super Bowl as well but I'm not 100% sure on that one. I don't see why that would or should be any different.