• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Griffin a top GM?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked trading for nance. But they should’ve gotten, not given a first in that trade
for Nance AND Clarkson? They gave up nothing of value.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t care why Griffin left. And I pretty clearly stated my baseless speculation was nothing more than speculation.

You are the one presenting his statement as if it was fact when there are more than a couple reasons he might lie to make it seem like he was unhappy in Cleveland and happy in NO.

Not saying he is lying, just that I don’t automatically believe him.
He made that statement well before he took a job in NO. I can agree guys don't always tell the truth, but I cannot come up with a reason to lie here. Makes himself come across as someone who does not want a challenge and/or building around Lebron...who allegedly left because Griff left?

If Lebron really wanted to play where Griff was thinking he could have made that happen....if they really liked working together. All I'm saying.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made that statement well before he took a job in NO. I can agree guys don't always tell the truth, but I cannot come up with a reason to lie here. Makes himself come across as someone who does not want a challenge and/or building around Lebron...who allegedly left because Griff left?

If Lebron really wanted to play where Griff was thinking he could have made that happen....if they really liked working together. All I'm saying.

I don’t think their relationship was ever strong enough that LeBron would follow him,

But LeBron did like him and it is fairly easy to see why he wouldn’t want Griff to leave (for whatever reason) and be replaced by a young rookie GM.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think their relationship was ever strong enough that LeBron would follow him,

But LeBron did like him and it is fairly easy to see why he wouldn’t want Griff to leave (for whatever reason) and be replaced by a young rookie GM.
Have to think Lebron knew Griff had little or nothing really to do with him coming here or coming back. Zero to do with Kyrie coming. Pretty sure any GM could have made the deal for Love and resigned all the players Lebron wanted resigned. Something tells me Lebron figured as long as he was there they'd be a strong title contender or favorite.

For sure if he was able to see the Pels in the future he would not have cared. anyone know why he let Randle get away? Did they try to keep him or did he just want to go to NY?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to think Lebron knew Griff had little or nothing really to do with him coming here or coming back. Zero to do with Kyrie coming. Pretty sure any GM could have made the deal for Love and resigned all the players Lebron wanted resigned. Something tells me Lebron figured as long as he was there they'd be a strong title contender or favorite.

For sure if he was able to see the Pels in the future he would not have cared. anyone know why he let Randle get away? Did they try to keep him or did he just want to go to NY?

That isn’t the point.

LeBron was comfortable working with Griff.

Just like LeBron was comfortable working with Ty Lue.

That doesn’t mean he though Lue was some amazing coach. But he had a relationship with Lue and respected him enough to trust Lue to be his coach.

Same basic idea for Griff. Nobody has ever said that Griffin is even a good GM. But LeBron wanted him to stay. And that should be enough reason for Gilbert to want him to.

But Gilbert wanted control of his team again, so he stopped appeasing LeBron and then of course LeBron left as expected.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t the point.

That doesn’t mean he though Lue was some amazing coach. But he had a relationship with Lue and respected him enough to trust Lue to be his coach.

Same basic idea for Griff. Nobody has ever said that Griffin is even a good GM. But LeBron wanted him to stay. And that should be enough reason for Gilbert to want him to.

But Gilbert wanted control of his team again, so he stopped appeasing LeBron and then of course LeBron left as expected.

this isn’t knocking the person you seem to want it to....

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That isn’t the point.

Is there anything factual that Lebron wanted Griffin to stay? That he'd be uncomfortable working with Altman? Anything of substance other than maybe a source saying he was surprised he left? Heck, I wanted Griff to stay, and was a little surprised he didn't. Just never thought a keep at all costs GM. No way Lebron thought the same?

I mean, you think Lebron so badly wanted Kyrie to stay yet never even called the kid to work things out with him. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anything factual that Lebron wanted Griffin to stay? That he'd be uncomfortable working with Altman? Anything of substance other than maybe a source saying he was surprised he left? Heck, I wanted Griff to stay, and was a little surprised he didn't. Just never thought a keep at all costs GM. No way Lebron thought the same?

I mean, you think Lebron so badly wanted Kyrie to stay yet never even called the kid to work things out with him. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

You are putting words in my mouth.

LeBron wanted control. And yeah, I remember reading that LeBron wanted Griffin to stay.

LeBron was okay with Kyrie being traded as long as he returned a package that maximize Cleveland’s chances short term. That wasn’t what happened. They got damaged goods and a future lotto pick.

Again, point is that Gilbert made no attempt to appease LeBron on moves/hires starting in the 2017 off season. He wasn’t giving LeBron control without the long term commitment, and LeBron wasn’t committing because he knew that would remove his leverage over Gilbert.

Common sense really.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this isn’t knocking the person you seem to want it to....

I am not trying to knock anyone. Just telling it like it was.

I think Gilbert was foolish for playing it like he did, because he won’t likely ever have another championship contender in his ownership tenure.

But Cleveland fans seem okay with it, so whatever.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trying to knock anyone. Just telling it like it was.

I think Gilbert was foolish for playing it like he did, because he won’t likely ever have another championship contender in his ownership tenure.

But Cleveland fans seem okay with it, so whatever.

it just shows Lebron is a whiny little bitch

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it just shows Lebron is a whiny little bitch

BS.

Any employee in any organization would want more control of their personal situation if they had the leverage to get it.

I never saw LeBron whine about it. He just exercised his right to sign elsewhere once Gilbert stopped catering to him.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BS.

Any employee in any organization would want more control of their personal situation if they had the leverage to get it.

I never saw LeBron whine about it. He just exercised his right to sign elsewhere once Gilbert stopped catering to him.

he’s just the epitome of dunabsses who need to shut up and dribble.

he keeps proving it over and over and Over again.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he’s just the epitome of dunabsses who need to shut up and dribble.

he keeps proving it over and over and Over again.

Who is being a whiny bitch now?

Whether you like it or not, the time of athletes keeping their opinions to themselves is gone forever. And the world is better for it.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is being a whiny bitch now?

Whether you like it or not, the time of athletes keeping their opinions to themselves is gone forever. And the world is better for it.

no. It’s really not. Spreading lies and quixotic outrage isn’t making the world a better place.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are putting words in my mouth.

LeBron wanted control. And yeah, I remember reading that LeBron wanted Griffin to stay.

LeBron was okay with Kyrie being traded as long as he returned a package that maximize Cleveland’s chances short term. That wasn’t what happened. They got damaged goods and a future lotto pick.

Again, point is that Gilbert made no attempt to appease LeBron on moves/hires starting in the 2017 off season. He wasn’t giving LeBron control without the long term commitment, and LeBron wasn’t committing because he knew that would remove his leverage over Gilbert.

Common sense really.
You're just making it up as you go. What we know is that in all the years he was here, Gilbert did everything he could to appease Lebron in bringing in/keeping the players he wanted, as well as setting payroll records for the sport. You don't know a better deal was out there for Kyrie and at the time the Brooklyn pick might have been the #1 asset in the NBA. Even if we want to believe all the rumors, the best deal I heard of was turned down by, you guessed it, Griffin...because Lebron wouldn't commit to stay. Ironic, huh? Idea Gilbert's feet needed to be held to the fire to keep spending and trying to win is, yes, absurd. If nothing else, the guy has an extreme will to win.

seems more likely Lebron was leaving and going to LA no matter what Gilbert did. And that's cool. It's his right.

as to the topic of the thread, I'm saying he's just OK and would give him a C- for his time in NO. Might be lower, but I guess need to see what he does with the extra picks he has coming.

I'd give him an A as an analyst, though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're just making it up as you go. What we know is that in all the years he was here, Griffin did everything he could to appease Lebron in bringing in/keeping the players he wanted, as well as setting payroll records for the sport. You don't know a better deal was out there and at the time the Brooklyn pick might have been the #1 asset in the NBA. Idea Gilbert's feet needed to be held to the fire to keep spending and trying to win is, yes, absurd.

seems more likely Lebron was leaving and going to LA no matter what Gilbert did. And that's cool. It's his right.

as to the topic of the thread, I'm saying he's just OK and would give him a C- for his time in NO. Might be lower, but I guess need to see what he does with the extra picks he has coming.

I'd give him an A as an analyst, though.

Yeah, I am speculating. But logic is on my side.

And yeah, you said it. Griffin did everything to appease LeBron which is why LeBron wanted him to stay.

Pretty easy to follow there.

And yes, I do 100% know that Cleveland could turned Kyrie into a package of players that could have done more to help them compete in 2018.

100%.

Stop with your “you don’t know BS”.

Yes we know. The Nets pick was a valuable asset and Cleveland chose to keep it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I am speculating. But logic is on my side.

And yeah, you said it. Griffin did everything to appease LeBron which is why LeBron wanted him to stay.

Pretty easy to follow there.

And yes, I do 100% know that Cleveland could turned Kyrie into a package of players that could have done more to help them compete in 2018.

100%.

Stop with your “you don’t know BS”.

Yes we know. The Nets pick was a valuable asset and Cleveland chose to keep it.
OK...but you don't know. I mean, it's one thing to think your coaching young kids makes you a coaching expert, but not sure what you have that puts you in touch with GMs around the league.

and, yes, they did choose to keep the pick. The guy many wanted us to spend it on was for Deandre Jordan. Deal for Jordan, then you could rightly rip the FO for losing the pick that turned into Sexton (or perhaps SGA) for a guy who did nothing to help them win and would not be here any longer. He really puts them over the top, right? Or let me guess...you also 100% know they could have received a bounty of stars to help them that year.

That's the "logic on your side"?

Ya gotta love this forum.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK...but you don't know. I mean, it's one thing to think your coaching young kids makes you a coaching expert, but not sure what you have that puts you in touch with GMs around the league.

and, yes, they did choose to keep the pick. The guy many wanted us to spend it on was for Deandre Jordan. He really puts them over the top, right? Or let me guess...you also 100% know they could have received a bounty of stars to help them that year. Deal for Jordan, Then you could rightly rip the FO for losing the pick that turned into Sexton (or perhaps SGA) for a guy who did nothing to help them win and would not be here any longer.

That's the "logic on your side"?

Ya gotta love this forum.

No man.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense and understanding of asset value in the NBA knows that Cleveland could have gotten a win now package for Kyrie if they wanted to. I don’t claim to be a GM expert, but I do have common sense which you tend to lack.

I don’t think they could have done anything to put them past the Warriors. But the fact that they didn’t try to maximize their 2018 roster by moving that pick (yes fact) made LeBron’s mind up for him.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No man.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense and understanding of asset value in the NBA knows that Cleveland could have gotten a win now package for Kyrie if they wanted to. I don’t claim to be a GM expert, but I do have common sense which you tend to lack.

I don’t think they could have done anything to put them past the Warriors. But the fact that they didn’t try to maximize their 2018 roster by moving that pick (yes fact) made LeBron’s mind up for him.
You actually don't know that, but keep being you. and you think they would have been smart to deal the Brooklyn pick for a guy like Jordan, too?

This is the common sense you speak of? Clearly, you just don't like Gilbert and that's cool. Doesn't come across as very likeable. Just own it. Nothing wrong with not liking him. No need to make things up to suit your agenda, though.