• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Griffin a top GM?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still early in his tenure, but Griff's team just lost 135-105 to the worst team in the NBA last night. Before last night, the most Minnesota had scored in regulation was 120. Hit 54% of their shots and 43% of their 3s.

And this was with his team completely healthy, gifted a generational talent and 3 other first rounders AND he walked into a good amount of cap space (blown on Adams).

Maybe his team gets a big win tonight, though, against the rebuilding Cavs?

I'm sure if we dig deep enough we could blame the Cavs execs/owner for his current team underachieving thus far?

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still early in his tenure, but Griff's team just lost 135-105 to the worst team in the NBA last night. Before last night, the most Minnesota had scored in regulation was 120. Hit 54% of their shots and 43% of their 3s.

And this was with his team completely healthy, gifted a generational talent and 3 other first rounders AND he walked into a good amount of cap space (blown on Adams).

I'm sure if we dig deep enough we could blame the Cavs execs/owner for his current team underachieving thus far?
Think its a bit premature to tell one way or the other. They have a ton of draft assets to trade and some good young players that would be attractive to many teams. The telling sign will be what sort of roster can he field in the next 2 years. Zion is just in his second year. He is their generational talent who they can build around. This year is I believe a feel it out year to see what pieces need to be moved. Next year will be the real indicator, IMO.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's always the risk of trading away the best player in any deal. Davis' value is known, but what have the former Laker picks and prospects become? So far, role players other than BI, who is becoming what we hoped for as Laker fans before he left. As talented as Zion is, he plays mostly on one end.

I like Adams in the right role, but blowing your cap space on an outdated center is a tough call.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think its a bit premature to tell one way or the other. They have a ton of draft assets to trade and some good young players that would be attractive to many teams. The telling sign will be what sort of roster can he field in the next 2 years. Zion is just in his second year. He is their generational talent who they can build around. This year is I believe a feel it out year to see what pieces need to be moved. Next year will be the real indicator, IMO.
I don't disagree, but many (here, Cavs fans, media) are more than willing to rip the Cavs FO (Altman and/or Gilbert) for being where they are only 1 year further into their rebuild. And their rebuild started after losing arguably the best player ever (after winning a title and playing for 3 others) and in cap hell for a long time because they tried to win the title and go for more. Also, instead of extreme lottery luck to get Zion, they went the other way and picked 5th both times with a bottom 2 record. and 8th with the Brooklyn pick when most figured it would be top 3.

No doubt need to see how he does with all the extra picks but so far he has not done so well with his assets not named Zion. The other first rounders still young, though.

Last edited:

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being gifted Zion when he had no business getting him will make this hard to say for a while

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Unless he was playing or coaching, I'm not sure what that loss has to do with whether or not he's a top GM. Blowouts happen to every team in the NBA. I remember a pretty bad Lakers team putting a 20 something point beatdown on the Warriors during 1 of their title seasons. Heck, if memory serves, the Lakers were one of the teams that beat them during the 73 win season.

Besides, you Cavs fans seemed fine with him when he was in Cleveland.

He did a good job in Cleveland getting pieces to help keep the Cavs on top of the East. He also talked the Pels ownership off the cliff and kept them from cutting off their nose to spite their face. That ended up getting them a pretty good haul for AD. Especially when you consider how badly Rich Paul and Klutch had poisoned the well.

Top GM? Not yet, imo. But I think he's done enough to be considered solid and maybe even "top GM adjacent".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless he was playing or coaching, I'm not sure what that loss has to do with whether or not he's a top GM. Blowouts happen to every team in the NBA. I remember a pretty bad Lakers team putting a 20 something point beatdown on the Warriors during 1 of their title seasons. Heck, if memory serves, the Lakers were one of the teams that beat them during the 73 win season.

Besides, you Cavs fans seemed fine with him when he was in Cleveland.

He did a good job in Cleveland getting pieces to help keep the Cavs on top of the East. He also talked the Pels ownership off the cliff and kept them from cutting off their nose to spite their face. That ended up getting them a pretty good haul for AD. Especially when you consider how badly Rich Paul and Klutch had poisoned the well.

Top GM? Not yet, imo. But I think he's done enough to be considered solid and maybe even "top GM adjacent".
Really doesn't have much to do with "the one game" but how about where his team is after 1+ years at the helm? I mean, the Cavs FO and Gilbert are constantly ripped for where they are. But after Lebron left Altman was saddled with a huge payroll, limited flexibility and no cap room for a long time (because Gilbert continued to go all out to win). The Brooklyn pick ened up 8th instead of top 3 like many thought it would be. Then they pick 5th and then 5th again with a bottom 2 record in both seasons.

Meanwhile, NO has some tremendous luck and Griff is gifted Zion. Also had the #4 pick. Traded that and with their 2020 first rounder made 3 other first round picks who have not done much and looks like he wasted cap space on Steven Adams. In addition, with the team mostly healthy all season their D has been as bad as a depleted Cavalier team.

"top GM adjacent"? Based on what?

I will say he's a decent GM and an exceptional analyst. Love that he is candid even if it means putting himself down and taking blame...when no one else will blame him for anything.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not get the Adam’s trade.

they have a lot of picks but still wondering why they traded Holliday when he’s basically what they need.

they need to use their bounty of picks to deal up for a Greene or something in this years draft

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think we can pretty safely say he isn’t a top GM, but he did a good job in Cleveland.

The pieces in NO don’t fit that well in a fairly obvious way. Not enough shooting, Adams not a guy they should have gone after, questionable fit with core players too.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can pretty safely say he isn’t a top GM, but he did a good job in Cleveland.

The pieces in NO don’t fit that well in a fairly obvious way. Not enough shooting, Adams not a guy they should have gone after, questionable fit with core players too.
The challenge is finding a decent shooting center.

Myles turner was somewhat available last summer, but even then he’s only ok.

Bledsoe ans ball are both over 37% from 3 right now.

the really surprising one is Hart has forgotten how the shoot.

and their two centers are Hayes and Adam’s, who space the floor as much as Shaq did lol

analytics liked Hayes coming out, but he’s a tough fit with Zion in the front court

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin was good but Gilbert didn’t want to pay him for a reason...he saw potential in Altman I guess. And if there is one thing Gilbert isn’t...he isn’f cheap. So maybe he knew he was valuable but not valuable enough where losing him wasn’t a huge deal. We will see what Altman builds in a couple years.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"Good job in Cleveland"? No disagreement. Hoped he'd stay but he did not want to and he was not a keep at all cost GM.

Don't mean to rip the guy as he's not a bad GM. Just not a great GM as many seem to think. Love him as an analyst, though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Griffin was good but Gilbert didn’t want to pay him for a reason...he saw potential in Altman I guess. And if there is one thing Gilbert isn’t...he isn’f cheap. So maybe he knew he was valuable but not valuable enough where losing him wasn’t a huge deal. We will see what Altman builds in a couple years.
Other than Gilbert wouldn't pay him this seems accurate. Griffin, himself, said after winning the title he knew he did not want to come back after his deal ended. Said the pressure of building around Lebron was not appealing to him

“Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun. I was miserable,” Griffin told Fischer. “Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Good job in Cleveland"? No disagreement. Hoped he'd stay but he did not want to and he was not a keep at all cost GM.

Don't mean to rip the guy as he's not a bad GM. Just not a great GM as many seem to think. Love him as an analyst, though.

Who has called him a great GM?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who has called him a great GM?
You really don't get the sense some here and in the national media think he's a great GM? They ignore facts and rip Gilbert for "letting him go". Why pay just a good GM whatever it takes to keep him?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You really don't get the sense some here and in the national media think he's a great GM? They ignore facts and rip Gilbert for "letting him go". Why pay just a good GM whatever it takes to keep him?

I knocked Gilbert for letting him go because it seemed like that was another step toward shoving LeBron out the door.

But I never heard anyone calling him great.

National media? They often tend to exaggerate praise for coaches/GMs when teams are winning without really considering the actual reasons for the success. So I don’t pay too much attention to that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knocked Gilbert for letting him go because it seemed like that was another step toward shoving LeBron out the door.

But I never heard anyone calling him great.

National media? They often tend to exaggerate praise for coaches/GMs when teams are winning without really considering the actual reasons for the success. So I don’t pay too much attention to that.
Yes, you knocked Gilbert for letting him go when, in fact, Griff chose to leave. And if you read his own comments it's because he wanted no part in building the team with Lebron any further.

“Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun. I was miserable,” Griffin told Fischer. “Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry to report that no one here gives a single thought to him except Cavs fans. And yours are easily the lion's share of those thoughts.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sorry to report that no one here gives a single thought to him except Cavs fans. And yours are easily the lion's share of those thoughts.
If someone said something I gave no thought to, even I would just not comment on it.

But that's me.