• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Griffin a top GM?

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is nothing on Earth you would refrain from commenting on, come on man
If I was one who paid no mind as you are saying is the case with everyone here on Griff I would not comment. as you'll notice, there are many a thread where I will not be found much if at all. Because I don't really care about the topic or the comment. But, again, that's me.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was one who paid no mind as you are saying is the case with everyone here on Griff I would not comment. as you'll notice, there are many a thread where I will not be found much if at all. Because I don't really care about the topic or the comment. But, again, that's me.
Oh we know you.

You made a comment that many of us here had strong opinions on Griffin. I merely responded to correct you there. Telling you we don't care about Griffin doesn't mean we do care about him. Quite the opposite.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the CLE hire was an upgrade though.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, you knocked Gilbert for letting him go when, in fact, Griff chose to leave. And if you read his own comments it's because he wanted no part in building the team with Lebron any further.

“Everything we did was so inorganic and unsustainable and, frankly, not fun. I was miserable,” Griffin told Fischer. “Literally the moment we won the championship I knew I was gonna leave. There was no way I was gonna stay for any amount of money.”

That may be how he felt,

But it was not what was reported at the time. It was reported that Gilbert low balled him.

And if he enjoys building 35 - 40 win teams, then more power to him.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be how he felt,

But it was not what was reported at the time. It was reported that Gilbert low balled him.

If he does that with Zion gifted to him, he won’t be there long

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he does that with Zion gifted to him, he won’t be there long

Is Zion really that great though?

He is fun to watch. Not particularly close to being a superstar type player in terms of impact in the win column.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think the CLE hire was an upgrade though.
Their current guy (Altman)? I'd say considering what each has dealt with in current situation a strong argument could be made Altman has done better than Griffin in NO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That may be how he felt,

and this is one thing wrong in sports....you want to believe baseless reports and ignore what Griffin actually said? By what you read here or here in the media are you of the opinion most do not believe Griff is a far better GM than Altman? Is that what you've seen in the jobs they have done for their respective teams, considering what each walked into?

thinking with the #1 pick he expected them to be more than a 35-40 win team....and maybe they will eventually. I don't think he's a bad GM by any stretch. He's OK.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is Zion really that great though?

He is fun to watch. Not particularly close to being a superstar type player in terms of impact in the win column.
This is all true, but then again they didn't get all that far with AD as their best player either. As you mentioned, seems like he did not do so well in putting the right pieces around him in the frontcourt with Adams and Hayes....neither of whom can shoot.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Their current guy (Altman)? I'd say considering what each has dealt with in current situation a strong argument could be made Altman has done better than Griffin in NO.

I don’t think he’s done a great job either.

his draft picks have certainly not maximized value.

the love extension is really bad.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think he’s done a great job either.

his draft picks have certainly not maximized value.

the love extension is really bad.
I mean, he had a bottom 2 record and picked 5th last 2 seasons. Figured to get a top 3 pick with Brooklyn pick and a guy no one knew about at the time (Dimwiddie) caught fire last 2-3 weeks and they got the 8th pick. Turned them into Sexton, Garland and Okoro. First 2 picks seem solid at worse and too early on Okoro. who should they have taken that was so much better who was a reasonable pick in those spots. I guess SGA, but Sexton looks like at worse a borderline all star.

He also had just lost arguably the best player ever and because we had an owner with an extreme will to win they have no cap room. and despite what you might believe, even if they do not resign Love, they still would have little to no cap space. so hard to call the extension "relly bad" as it's not as though we were bringing in a stud FA to rebuilding Cleveland if only they did not pay Love.

Enough in their core, IMO, that IF they get some lottery luck they could contend in the East within a couple years. But possible their lottery luck ran out when they won the #1 pick in the Wiggins draft.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and this is one thing wrong in sports....you want to believe baseless reports and ignore what Griffin actually said? By what you read here or here in the media are you of the opinion most do not believe Griff is a far better GM than Altman? Is that what you've seen in the jobs they have done for their respective teams, considering what each walked into?

thinking with the #1 pick he expected them to be more than a 35-40 win team....and maybe they will eventually. I don't think he's a bad GM by any stretch. He's OK.

I didn’t say I believed it. Just what was reported

But also, just because Griffin said that, doesn’t make it true. Sometimes people lie about stuff like that to rationalize a difficult personal situation.

And no, I don’t think either is great. But Altman was inexperienced and left Cleveland with no shot to retain LBJ.

That is literally the only reason I knocked Gilbert. Has nothing to do with ability of either man to do the job.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn’t say I believed it. Just what was reported

But also, just because Griffin said that, doesn’t make it true. Sometimes people lie about stuff like that to rationalize a difficult personal situation.

And no, I don’t think either is great. But Altman was inexperienced and left Cleveland with no shot to retain LBJ.

That is literally the only reason I knocked Gilbert. Has nothing to do with ability of either man to do the job.
So let's maybe not believe what the man actually says, but offer your own baseless speculation as though it is factual? OK?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, he had a bottom 2 record and picked 5th last 2 seasons. Figured to get a top 3 pick with Brooklyn pick and a guy no one knew about at the time (Dimwiddie) caught fire last 2-3 weeks and they got the 8th pick. Turned them into Sexton, Garland and Okoro. First 2 picks seem solid at worse and too early on Okoro. who should they have taken that was so much better who was a reasonable pick in those spots. I guess SGA, but Sexton looks like at worse a borderline all star.

He also had just lost arguably the best player ever and because we had an owner with an extreme will to win they have no cap room. and despite what you might believe, even if they do not resign Love, they still would have little to no cap space. so hard to call the extension "relly bad" as it's not as though we were bringing in a stud FA to rebuilding Cleveland if only they did not pay Love.

Enough in their core, IMO, that IF they get some lottery luck they could contend in the East within a couple years. But possible their lottery luck ran out when they won the #1 pick in the Wiggins draft.

they have had some bad luck. I’d say porters off the court stuff counts there too.

doubling down on small pgs is something. I would’ve happily taken the same offer Phoenix did to trade down with minny and get saric.

and they could’ve cashed in love for value without that awful extension. He’s untradeable with it.

they also failed to use jr smiths valuable non guaranteed deal to do anything to extract assets before the NBA stupidly changed that rule.

the only pick I might’ve made that was the same as Altman is okoro, and maybe not if he did the things I would’ve done earlier in his tenure

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
they have had some bad luck. I’d say porters off the court stuff counts there too.

doubling down on small pgs is something. I would’ve happily taken the same offer Phoenix did to trade down with minny and get saric.

and they could’ve cashed in love for value without that awful extension. He’s untradeable with it.

they also failed to use jr smiths valuable non guaranteed deal to do anything to extract assets before the NBA stupidly changed that rule.

the only pick I might’ve made that was the same as Altman is okoro, and maybe not if he did the things I would’ve done earlier in his tenure
Cavs had Love, Nance and TT so not sure how much they needed Saric. I'm perfectly fine with the Garland pick. Kid's still only 21 and has shown tremendous improvement this year. Admittedly, I was concerned a little after last season as did not see the improvement throughout the year like I did in Sexton's rookie year. You might not have taken Sexton, but hard to rip him for that pick at 8. Hope you are right about Okoro...as for JR, we don't know what if anything they were offered.

Funny you mention KPJ as that might be one area they might have screwed the pooch. Admittedly I say this not knowing what went down but hard to believe was so bad they couldn't just dismiss him from the team for a while. Gonna need to explain some things if he turns into a stud.

That said, not gonna crush him yet as only been 2 games and Houston was blown out in both. Nice overall game but did not shoot so well. If he can keep his head out of his and play well into next season, though? Of course, many Browns critics were ripping them after JG had a couple good games for NE.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cavs had Love, Nance and TT so not sure how much they needed Saric. I'm perfectly fine with the Garland pick. Kid's still only 21 and has shown tremendous improvement this year. Admittedly, I was concerned a little after last season as did not see the improvement throughout the year like I did in Sexton's rookie year. You might not have taken Sexton, but hard to rip him for that pick at 8. Hope you are right about Okoro...as for JR, we don't know what if anything they were offered.

Funny you mention KPJ as that might be one area they might have screwed the pooch. Admittedly I say this not knowing what went down but hard to believe was so bad they couldn't just dismiss him from the team for a while. Gonna need to explain some things if he turns into a stud.

That said, not gonna crush him yet as only been 2 games and Houston was blown out in both. Nice overall game but did not shoot so well. If he can keep his head out of his and play well into next season, though? Of course, many Browns critics were ripping them after JG had a couple good games for NE.

I liked trading for nance. But they should’ve gotten, not given a first in that trade

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let's maybe not believe what the man actually says, but offer your own baseless speculation as though it is factual? OK?

I don’t care why Griffin left. And I pretty clearly stated my baseless speculation was nothing more than speculation.

You are the one presenting his statement as if it was fact when there are more than a couple reasons he might lie to make it seem like he was unhappy in Cleveland and happy in NO.

Not saying he is lying, just that I don’t automatically believe him.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? (Jordan discussion on the other thread)

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked trading for nance. But they should’ve gotten, not given a first in that trade

What? The got Nance and Clarkson in that trade, giving the corpse of Isaiah, Frye, and a late 1st.