• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greatest NBA Player of all-time

Who is your GOAT?

• Magic Johnson

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Wilt Chaimberlain

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Michael Jordan

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • LeBron James

Votes: 5 8.9%
  • someone else (please explain whom)

Votes: 11 19.6%

• Total voters

knowyourenemy

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Had to go with someone else.

tenor.gif

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does it possibly mean though that he isnt a winning player?

Sure, he could shine in a losing situation in Minny, but is it on him a bit that he cant blend into a winning team?

I think it means he can never be a #1 on a contending team. He could be fine as a #2 or #3 on a contending team. But he's never going to be that guy that you build around.

It also means that he has to be in the right situation with a team that moves the ball consistently.

There's nothing wrong with that either. There are lots of guys in the Hall of Fame or who have been all stars/all NBA players who can't be a #1 on a contending team or who played in a system that caters to their skills.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finals losses also count. If they don't, then why is Kareem not the GOAT?

Kareem:

10 finals appearances
6-4 Finals record
2 Finals MVP's (including one at age 38)
6 regular season MVP's
19 All Star games
10 All NBA first teams
Rookie of the Year

etc. etc. (the list of accomplishments is amazing)

And he's the all time leading scorer.

I don't think it's the finals losses that hurt Kareem...it's that for the second half of his career he didn't play like an all-time great on the whole. He had a significant dropoff the second half of his career and his averages were about 20ppg and 8rpg, which are obviously very good but not really spectacular.

Jordan obviously had a shorter career, but a good case can be made that 11 of his 13 full seasons were historically great.

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pooh Richardson

End of thread

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's the finals losses that hurt Kareem...it's that for the second half of his career he didn't play like an all-time great on the whole. He had a significant dropoff the second half of his career and his averages were about 20ppg and 8rpg, which are obviously very good but not really spectacular.

Much of that was due to being on the Showtime Lakers. They didn't need his scoring like the Bucks and then the pre-Showtime Lakers teams that he was on. Throughout the 2nd half of his career, when the Lakers needed him he always came up big. Like in 1985 when he was finals MVP at age 38.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jordan obviously had a shorter career, but a good case can be made that 11 of his 13 full seasons were historically great.

Agreed.

Kareem wasn't the best player on his own team for at least half of his rings. That is what hurts him against MJ, not the Finals losses.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Much of that was due to being on the Showtime Lakers. They didn't need his scoring like the Bucks and then the pre-Showtime Lakers teams that he was on. Throughout the 2nd half of his career, when the Lakers needed him he always came up big. Like in 1985 when he was finals MVP at age 38.

Perhaps, but we can't go giving him credit based on hypotheticals and 'what ifs' (ie - if they needed him to score more, he could've risen to the challenge)...we can only give him credit for what did happen, and what did happen is that the second half of his career overall wasn't historically great.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps, but we can't go giving him credit based on hypotheticals and 'what ifs' (ie - if they needed him to score more, he could've risen to the challenge)...we can only give him credit for what did happen, and what did happen is that the second half of his career overall wasn't historically great.

His entire career, however, was historically great and it's the entire career that is looked at.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His entire career, however, was historically great and it's the entire career that is looked at.

IMO the GOAT should be historically great throughout most/all of their career than just roughly half of it.

Babe Ruth was historically great throughout most of his career for example, and many consider him the baseball GOAT. I see the same thing with Jordan.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the GOAT should be historically great throughout most/all of their career than just roughly half of it.

Babe Ruth was historically great throughout most of his career for example, and many consider him the baseball GOAT. I see the same thing with Jordan.

Don't think there's ever been a finals MVP older than Kareem when he won it at age 38. That seems pretty late in his career. lol

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't think there's ever been a finals MVP older than Kareem when he won it at age 38. That seems pretty late in his career. lol

That's what, 5-6 games?

Sample size? You can't just ignore the other 700+ games in that portion of his career because of one NBA finals...doesn't make any sense.

jon2tanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,129.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'll take Kareems best 11 over Jordans.