• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Grant Cohn on Smith's Strengths and Weaknesses

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'll say one thing. there were countless times where smith needed to make a big play in the 4th quarter of games and he came through. u can count off a million reasons why games were close, but the way our games went was basically:

we get a lead
we protect the ball by staying in 1st gear
we go to 6th gear if we lose the lead

the margin for error was very low. we rolled tampa like they were a female flag football team, then things just went to dog do-do

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
i'll say one thing. there were countless times where smith needed to make a big play in the 4th quarter of games and he came through. u can count off a million reasons why games were close, but the way our games went was basically:

we get a lead
we protect the ball by staying in 1st gear
we go to 6th gear if we lose the lead

the margin for error was very low. we rolled tampa like they were a female flag football team, then things just went to dog do-do

No, there weren't. As Imac points out, why did we become conservative with the lead? Would we have done that with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or Eli at QB? I think the answer is obvious.

Smith played fairly well this year, very well if we factor in the short offseason and new system. But he's got to make a pretty significant jump this year IMO.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, there weren't. As Imac points out, why did we become conservative with the lead? Would we have done that with Rodgers, Brady, Brees, or Eli at QB? I think the answer is obvious.

Smith played fairly well this year, very well if we factor in the short offseason and new system. But he's got to make a pretty significant jump this year IMO.

Who's saying Alex is Rodgers, Brady, or Brees? You can have a very good season despite the coach being conservative with leads, despite not being in the Top QBs list. There were a few times where Harbaugh was conservative with Standford and leads (of, course, there were also USC blowouts). I think him not being the above players played a factor, the way he played the previous seasons played a factor, but I also think being a first time NFL coach in a shortened off-season without a full playbook (where every player needs to be in good timing) played a role. I see Harbaugh as a guy saying "we gotta get this one, we gotta get this one" not "Shit, I have Smith! Shit, I have Smith!" That'll bring conservatism with most quarterbacks, including ones that are having their first very good season. So, I don't expect "let's ram it down their throats" quite yet. I'll concede that it's obvious with a Peyton Manning, he wouldn't have been conservative with the lead, but with Freeman, Cutler, Vick, Hasselbeck, Flacco*, etc. that were listed, it's not so obvious. It may still be, but I'd have to see it play out before I would say it with certainty like I did with Manning.

Last edited by a moderator:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
OK......8 pages in, has anyone's opinion changed one iota?

The answer, of course, is no, like in the last 200 Smith threads. Its an outlet for frustration or killing time or whatever. So lets take it more seriously and we'll all bring our preferred stats to support our point and act like one day we'll settle this.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The answer, of course, is no, like in the last 200 Smith threads. Its an outlet for frustration or killing time or whatever. So lets take it more seriously and we'll all bring our preferred stats to support our point and act like one day we'll settle this.

Going into the thread, I simultaneously thought Smith was on Brees/Brady's level and that he was worse than the backup QBs, but I've been educated that he's better than half the QBs if you include Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen's of the world. Also, as highlighted by Aker's QB rating, Alex is no Brees.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

but that's my point, smith was put under huge pressure to basically flick a switch and make plays. there's no flow to the offense because of how conservative it was when we had the lead.

it really bit us in the ass in the loss to the cards and in the playoffs.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Who's saying Alex is Rodgers, Brady, or Brees? You can have a very good season despite the coach being conservative with leads, despite not being in the Top QBs list. There were a few times where Harbaugh was conservative with Standford and leads (of, course, there were also USC blowouts). I think him not being the above players played a factor, the way he played the previous seasons played a factor, but I also think being a first time NFL coach in a shortened off-season without a full playbook (where every player needs to be in good timing) played a role. I see Harbaugh as a guy saying "we gotta get this one, we gotta get this one" not "Shit, I have Smith! Shit, I have Smith!" That'll bring conservatism with most quarterbacks, including ones that are having their first very good season. So, I don't expect "let's ram it down their throats" quite yet. I'll concede that it's obvious with a Peyton Manning, he wouldn't have been conservative with the lead, but with Freeman, Cutler, Vick, Hasselbeck, Flacco*, etc. that were listed, it's not so obvious. It may still be, but I'd have to see it play out before I would say it with certainty like I did with Manning.

I don't have as many categories of QBs as you do. To me, a guy has had a very good season, an ok season, or a bad season. Maybe there are degrees within those, but you have five categories of guys who are apparently above average. Who was elite vs. great vs. very good? Are there only 2.5 guys in each category?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

boobs are nice

i think we can settle on that

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have as many categories of QBs as you do. To me, a guy has had a very good season, an ok season, or a bad season. Maybe there are degrees within those, but you have five categories of guys who are apparently above average. Who was elite vs. great vs. very good? Are there only 2.5 guys in each category?

If I were a true analyst, I would divide the QBs into three tiers and Alex would be a little above the mid-second tier or high up in the third/lower fourth of five tiers. I only have so many categories because I don't like thinking in categories or in black and white. Not every category has players in them, so that explains my convoluted system that I know won't fit anyone else's standards. For example, not every year do you get a Leaf and it's too easy to put someone in the average level, so I put them above or below, typically. I haven't actually mapped it out and I likely won't do so. I don't think THAT high of my opinion.

I try to get as specifically as I can and I thought Alex's season was a 8 of 10 (there are 4-5 that'd get a 10), whereas as Alex as a QB would be like a 5-6 of 10 altogether. Much of it is team-dependant and it is no scientifically based at all. I always say in advance that it's just an opinion, so I won't debate that you or anyone else is wrong. I just explain my thoughts. Alex, I think, has an opportunity to be 6-7 of 10 if he improves and shows he can have two very good seasons in a row. Above that would be 2013, unless he shocks us all with an elite season.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

The answer, of course, is no, like in the last 200 Smith threads. Its an outlet for frustration or killing time or whatever. So lets take it more seriously and we'll all bring our preferred stats to support our point and act like one day we'll settle this.[/QUOTE]

haaa, what would some of us do without this 49er board?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You dug your own grave with that fact.
That is the single biggest factor in being not a bad QB but a good QB. Turnovers.

That is largely how he got his 90+ QB Rating and why he had a very good year.

It's not a deep grave.

Would you rather have a QB that has a 1:1 TD:INT ratio over 16 games but throws only 8 INTs (therefore 8 TDs) or a QB with 3:1 TD:INT ratio who throws 12 INTs and 36 TDs?

One QB turned the ball over less, but which one would you say had a better year?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1:1 td ratio would be like 75 passer rating

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what happens when apparently calling Smith mediocre is offensive to some people.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dug your own grave with that fact.
That is the single biggest factor in being not a bad QB but a good QB. Turnovers.

That is largely how he got his 90+ QB Rating and why he had a very good year.

Really? So, oh I dunno, actually making PLAYS takes a backseat to that?

Manning had 11 more INTs than Smith in 2011. Who was the better QB?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Guys. How stupid do you think we are?

Were over 100 replies in and it should obvious something more than pee-wee football level of knowledge is needed to counter what I have posted.

imac_21's question is retarded.

Making plays takes maybe not a backseat but it is riding shotgun. A QB can't just make a TD happen. WR has to do something right to some degree.

A INT can be completely on a QB handing it to the other team. Then there is no chance for a QB RB or Kicker or anyone to make a play to score.

Eli excelled it other ways so he made up the difference and had a slightly better year.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So throwing TDs and making plays all over the field rides shotgun to...not throwing it to the wrong uniform?

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes. I explained why. It is pretty simple. You need the ball to score 90% of the time a team scores they started the play with possession.

there is no chance for a QB RB or Kicker or anyone to make a play to score when you don't have the ball because of an INT.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That doesn't explain anything. That's actually pretty stupid.

GTFO.

ViperVisor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
American football is a sport played between two teams of eleven with the objective of scoring points by advancing the ball into the opposing team's end zone. Known in the United States simply as football, it may also be referred to informally as gridiron football.[1][2] The ball can be advanced by running with it or throwing it to a teammate. Points can be scored by carrying the ball over the opponent's goal line, catching a pass thrown over that goal line, kicking the ball through the opponent's goal posts or tackling an opposing ball carrier in his own end zone.

American football - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL, I can - today - go on a football field against an NFL team and not throw an INT. I'll just take sacks or throw the ball out of bounds every play. I won't throw throw a single INT.

Apparently that makes me a good QB.