• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golf for the average hacker

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're 1962 Hogan Power Thrusts, 3-iron to Equalizer (wedge).

One day I might get fitted and get a modern set, but I really want to stick with blades. I thought about getting some 3 and 4 hybrids, but then I'd have big gaps in my yardage. So i just keep playing with these antiques.
growing up I dreamed a set of Hogans... or Kenneth Smiths. bought a used set of Lynx irons in 1973... enjoyed them until 2021, when I finally relented, took the advice of a good friend - who is also a great golfer - and called these folks, got fitted, got this set:

things are fantastic... have much to teach me.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good idea, but there no way to enforce it

what if you break 101 one time in 50 rounds?

are you a gold?
I don't see it as being something that needs to be enforced...just honored. That's a big thing with golf, right? You are expected to own every missed swing, etc...own that you aren't good enough to play from the whites. I think it would improve enjoyment for many golfers...for you, those playing with you, and those in the group behind you.

the biggest thing about all this is pride and there are plenty of golfers who won't be able to suck it up and play from the tees they should be at

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited:

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you think about this idea?

personally I think egos would get in the way and some dudes would hate to be put in a position where they look like less when playing with their bros.

View attachment 314183

no way... only the good golfers care about their scores... the average golfer is there for fun... its one thing if you are playing by yourself... but if you are playing with a 4 some, whether of your peers or random... it speeds up the game if everyone plays the same tees... or at least play similar tees...

also... most male golfers, whether good or not, irrelevant to how far they can actually hit all think they can hit further than they can... the closer they are the slower the game will be, because they will wait longer for the people in front of them...

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow.. you're really old school still. I switched to cavity backed irons 30 years ago and ditched every iron > 7i for hybrids & woods 15 years ago. Cavity backed irons and hybrids are sooo much easier to hit and control. But to each his own.
Yeah, someday I will have to ditch this set completely, and get fitted. But I don't like the idea of hitting cavities. they just don't feel right.

"Power Thrusts."

Heh
I do this with every stroke

episode 15 duff man GIF

I had a 1-iron back in the day but used it off the tee only. I think it was Trevino who said said if caught in a thunderstorm with lightening on the course, just hold up a 1 iron because even god can't hit a 1-iron. That guy was a treasure.. still is. Golf needs more like him.
Hahah, yeah, loved that guy, except for his mugging in Happy Gilmore. I've hit mine off a tee at the range, but it's so hard to hit it consistently. It's actually an Apex "Channel-back," was an early edition of the modern cavity backs:
1718047200046.png

My 2-Iron is a Bounce Sole Hogan muscleback:

1718047270036.png

growing up I dreamed a set of Hogans... or Kenneth Smiths. bought a used set of Lynx irons in 1973... enjoyed them until 2021, when I finally relented, took the advice of a good friend - who is also a great golfer - and called these folks, got fitted, got this set:

Same, Fam. I loved Hogan's books and his swing style, I knew I wanted a set of his and this was the first one I came across. I know there are more modern clubs that bear his name, but I really wanted blades. Like I said above, I know I will need to get a completely modern set one day. My son is getting ready for his first full set/fitting, so mine will have to wait a few more years.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.. and this all started with me posting that length has little to do with breaking 80, which is also a true statement and a point that you have now confirmed by stating your own experience of "doing it all of the time". Do you remember posting that? I think it was today.
No. That I don't believe is a true statement. It has a lot to do with it. I did post that but I don't see why you've got your panties all in a bunch over this. I simply disagree that length is not a huge factor in breaking 80. I'm not saying it is the only factor

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. That I don't believe is a true statement. It has a lot to do with it. I did post that but I don't see why you've got your panties all in a bunch over this. I simply disagree that length is not a huge factor in breaking 80. I'm not saying it is the only factor

Me disagreeing with you <> my panties being in a bunch.

Did you not say that you are not a big hitter and that you break 80 "all the time"?
Wouldn't a claim like that confirm that distance is not all that important wrt breaking 80?

I almost forgot... you're the LIV troll. So you're just going to continue to ignore what you have said and keep going around in circles about this, aren't you?

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I can bridge the gap between the two of you: I'm really accurate with my short irons, and with shots of 100 yds or less. I get inconsistent with shots over 120-150. And it seems like this is a common plague for most duffers.

Now, if I was straight and accurate over 150 yards, then yes, absolutely I agree that length would help me break 80 or 90 (or 100!) But since I'm not, I have a better chance of scoring lower with my short game.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so you think it IS a huge factor in breaking 80?

I think they play equal parts. If you can hit the ball a mile but you can't find the fairway, you ain't breaking 80.

I think breaking 80 has more to do with the short game and not 3 putting or being able to get up and down cleanly. 80 is one of those scores that you need to be able to fine tune your game to get to as opposed to being a neanderthal who just goes up there and smashes the ball

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I can bridge the gap between the two of you: I'm really accurate with my short irons, and with shots of 100 yds or less. I get inconsistent with shots over 120-150. And it seems like this is a common plague for most duffers.

Now, if I was straight and accurate over 150 yards, then yes, absolutely I agree that length would help me break 80 or 90 (or 100!) But since I'm not, I have a better chance of scoring lower with my short game.
it's much more likely ou will be able to get that <150 yd game dialed in than it is to drive the ball 300 yds.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And how do you think you get to those short irons? By hitting it farther, that's how. If I can hit my 9 iron 150 yards (I can't) but you need a six iron to thit it 150, who do you think is going to hit the green more often?

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And how do you think you get to those short irons? By hitting it farther, that's how. If I can hit my 9 iron 150 yards (I can't) but you need a six iron to thit it 150, who do you think is going to hit the green more often?
depends on how accurate you are from 150, regardless of the club.

what if someone hits the ball a mile but his short irons suck?

it works both ways

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think they play equal parts. If you can hit the ball a mile but you can't find the fairway, you ain't breaking 80.

I think breaking 80 has more to do with the short game and not 3 putting or being able to get up and down cleanly. 80 is one of those scores that you need to be able to fine tune your game to get to as opposed to being a neanderthal who just goes up there and smashes the ball
Yes. With all things being equal, the longer player will usually be better. Can you think of any PGA player who is a short hitter? Length is everything in the game today.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

breaking 80 by someone that cant hit over 200 on any hit, then we are likely talking pitch and putt

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, someday I will have to ditch this set completely, and get fitted. But I don't like the idea of hitting cavities. they just don't feel right.

I do this with every stroke

episode 15 duff man GIF

It is important to keep the hips active in the swing.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
depends on how accurate you are from 150, regardless of the club.

what if someone hits the ball a mile but his short irons suck?

it works both ways
I hear you but a 9 iron will always be easier to control than a 6 iron, that's just the way it is. Sso if you have a 9 iron in your hand at 150 you have a huge advantage over the guy who has to pull out a 6 or 5. Believe me, I know through painful experience,

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. With all things being equal, the longer player will usually be better. Can you think of any PGA player who is a short hitter? Length is everything in the game today.
if they can hit fairways, then they certainly set themselves up better for an easier approach shot to the green...but only if they have that part of the game dialed in.