• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Golf for the average hacker

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't actually play golf to beat anyone. I'm out to have a good time and see if I can hit a couple of good shots each round. I also play with persimmon woods and a set of irons that are 60 years old, so the lofts are 2-3 clubs different from modern sets. If I hit one or two pars per round, I call it a good day. Otherwise I'm not even keeping score.

The rest of you can enjoy your dick-measuring contests
I played in FL with my future father in law...he said he had a spare set of clubs for me to use

his spare set was similar to what you have...and it was painful to see how many yards I lost playing with dated technology.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ball Cannon would be a better idea... Those things are fun to use!

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
distance certainly helps and can make it easier to hit greens in regulation.

but you can break 80 without hitting bombs
Agreed. I do it all the time. I'd sure love to have some of my distance back though.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument is not about beating someone who's considerably longer than you, it's about knocking it around in under 80 strokes. But I've played many more guys who were longer than I that I was better than than guys with a better short game than I whom I was better than. Distance always helps though, but I think that becomes more true the better the player. For guys struggling to break 80, we're talking double digit handicappers like myself. I've done it twice ftr.
Yes it is. And I still maintain that it is much, much easier to break 80 if you are a long hitter. Its a huge advantage.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is. And I still maintain that it is much, much easier to break 80 if you are a long hitter. Its a huge advantage.

I don't maintain that distance is not an advantage. It definitely is. But you can break 80 without being long. You cannot break 80 without being accurate. The woods are full of big hitters.

I'll give you Scottie Scheffler's distance but not his accuracy and I'll take his accuracy but not his length and I will beat you every single time.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and, shucks...
it's mebbe sorta possible a few strokes went forgotten.
how nutty is this?my brother after years of playing weekly golf,had never had 1 ace before getting 2 in one week a month ago.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't maintain that distance is not an advantage. It definitely is. But you can break 80 without being long. You cannot break 80 without being accurate. The woods are full of big hitters.

I'll give you Scottie Scheffler's distance but not his accuracy and I'll take his accuracy but not his length and I will beat you every single time.
Of course you can; I do it all the time. Your Scottie Scheffler scenario would be an interesting test

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course you can; I do it all the time. Your Scottie Scheffler scenario would be an interesting test

Then why are you arguing with me about it? You're a prime example of my point. lol

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how nutty is this?my brother after years of playing weekly golf,had never had 1 ace before getting 2 in one week a month ago.

I hope to get 1 before I die. I've never even had an eagle. I only reached 1 par 5 in 2 in my life and missed he putt and the few iron shots I've holed were for birdie. The closest I've come to a HIO was on a mishit 3 iron from about 190. I hit it very thin, it never got more that 6' off the ground, bounced & rolled and lipped out.

Reactions: H2S

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope to get 1 before I die. I've never even had an eagle. I only reached 1 par 5 in 2 in my life and missed he putt and the few iron shots I've holed were for birdie. The closest I've come to a HIO was on a mishit 3 iron from about 190. I hit it very thin, it never got more that 6' off the ground, bounced & rolled and lipped out.
my best friend,s late brother got one at 6.youngest ever in America for awhile in the 70s.got to go to Congress,state house,everywhere and have his pic taken in Virginia.

Brightboat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then why are you arguing with me about it? You're a prime example of my point. lol
I'm not. I made the accurate statement that it is much easier to break 80 if you are a long hitter. A wedge to the green guy will beat a 5 or 6 iron to the green guy just about every time. You can teach accuracy, but you can't teach length.

black francis

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what do you think about this idea?

personally I think egos would get in the way and some dudes would hate to be put in a position where they look like less when playing with their bros.

View attachment 314183

good idea, but there no way to enforce it

what if you break 101 one time in 50 rounds?

are you a gold?

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not. I made the accurate statement that it is much easier to break 80 if you are a long hitter. A wedge to the green guy will beat a 5 or 6 iron to the green guy just about every time. You can teach accuracy, but you can't teach length.

.. and this all started with me posting that length has little to do with breaking 80, which is also a true statement and a point that you have now confirmed by stating your own experience of "doing it all of the time". Do you remember posting that? I think it was today.

H2S

entropica robusta
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbour Pte GC, New Bern, NC... 21.SEP.2023... aced the 135-yd 17th... 9-iron.
(was, actually, a skulled crap shot stinger that raped several snakes then rolled straight in. golf :noidea:)

Interesting day - chanced on 750s of Weller Full Proof, Weller 12-yr and Eagle Rare 10-yr at the ABC store in the morning; got first ever ace that afternoon; Hurricane Ophelia made landfall that evening.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I played in FL with my future father in law...he said he had a spare set of clubs for me to use

his spare set was similar to what you have...and it was painful to see how many yards I lost playing with dated technology.
At least I know what my yardages are. I just go up 2-3 clubs on everybody else. I mean, I'm not that good anyway, I don't think new clubs would make much difference.

They're 1962 Hogan Power Thrusts, 3-iron to Equalizer (wedge). I'm missing the 6-iron. When I got them, they had original leather grips that smelled like cat piss, So I removed them and re-gripped. That was difficult, because they had this half inch of rubbery stuff under the leather, I had to scrape it off with a blade. Now, I wish I had had them professionally restored with leather. Look like this:

1718038484289.png

I can hit the 3-Iron decently. Gives me about 140-150 yards. I also have a 2- and a 1-iron, from different Hogan sets. Much harder to hit well, so I usually don't pack them. If I need more yards, Duh, I take out a wood. I have a 1, 3, 4 and 5 Spalding. Absolutely love hitting that 4 wood; somebody re-shafted it with a graphite rod, the other three clubs have the original stiff steel.

One day I might get fitted and get a modern set, but I really want to stick with blades. I thought about getting some 3 and 4 hybrids, but then I'd have big gaps in my yardage. So i just keep playing with these antiques.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least I know what my yardages are. I just go up 2-3 clubs on everybody else. I mean, I'm not that good anyway, I don't think new clubs would make much difference.

They're 1962 Hogan Power Thrusts, 3-iron to Equalizer (wedge). I'm missing the 6-iron. When I got them, they had original leather grips that smelled like cat piss, So I removed them and re-gripped. That was difficult, because they had this half inch of rubbery stuff under the leather, I had to scrape it off with a blade. Now, I wish I had had them professionally restored with leather. Look like this:

View attachment 364523

I can hit the 3-Iron decently. Gives me about 140-150 yards. I also have a 2- and a 1-iron, from different Hogan sets. Much harder to hit well, so I usually don't pack them. If I need more yards, Duh, I take out a wood. I have a 1, 3, 4 and 5 Spalding. Absolutely love hitting that 4 wood; somebody re-shafted it with a graphite rod, the other three clubs have the original stiff steel.

One day I might get fitted and get a modern set, but I really want to stick with blades. I thought about getting some 3 and 4 hybrids, but then I'd have big gaps in my yardage. So i just keep playing with these antiques.

Wow.. you're really old school still. I switched to cavity backed irons 30 years ago and ditched every iron > 7i for hybrids & woods 15 years ago. Cavity backed irons and hybrids are sooo much easier to hit and control. But to each his own.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
v'had a couple... only one worth noting was a 150-yd/8 iron second...
was great because it was witnessed by the two arrogant snots in our 4some.

I've reached a 260 yard "par 4" and a 460-ish yard par 5.. missed both putts. The longest shot I've holed was 103 yard wedge for birdie on a long par 4 after scuffing my approach. Maybe someday.

Last edited:

MTVike

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 364523

"Power Thrusts."

Heh

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 364523

I had a 1-iron back in the day but used it off the tee only. I think it was Trevino who said said if caught in a thunderstorm with lightening on the course, just hold up a 1 iron because even god can't hit a 1-iron. That guy was a treasure.. still is. Golf needs more like him.