• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Golden State Warriors vs. Cleveland Cavaliers NBA Finals Thread

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not convinced expansion waters down the league. To me, it is harder to win a title today with 30 teams than when Bill Russell was doing vs 10.

I am not arguing Kareem isn't great. Right now, in my list he would be #3 behind MJ and Magic.. #4 would be bird. But honestly I think Kareem could be as high as 2 and as low as 5. Anything outside that is a bit ridiculous. LeBron isn't in my top 5 yet.. but is knocking on the door. I have to let his career finish out so it could be looked at as a complete work. But of the current crop of NBA players, LeBron is the only one with a legit shot at passing these legends.

Yeah, my top 3 is basically the same, but I go Kareem, MJ, Magic.

Arguably the top 3 resume's in league history. I give Kareem and MJ the nod over Magic (even though he's my all time favorite player any sport) because of ring count. I give Kareem the nod over MJ, because of longevity and being the finals MVP at age 38 is just crazy.

I used to rank them Magic, MJ, Kareem. But the more I look at Kareem's career. The harder it becomes to put him anywhere but #1. Especially when you consider that he did all of that after spending 4 years in college. Imagine how much more he could have accomplished if he came straight from high school or after only a year or 2 of college.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. I don't know any player or fan base that would rather lose in round 1 vs round 4.
2. In a best of 7 series, the better team wins.
3. The best player in the series, doesn't have to be on the better team ( as we are more than likely seeing this year).

1. Not suggesting that anyone would rather lose in round 1 than round 4. Just that when looking at things historically, no one remembers who lost in round 1. They remember who lost in the finals and it whether it's fair or not, when it happens more than they win, it's counted against them.

2. Agree. Probably the best (and worst) thing about the NBA playoffs is that we don't have the huge upsets that we see in other sports.

3. Agreed. I think we've seen that a few times over the years.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, my top 3 is basically the same, but I go Kareem, MJ, Magic.

Arguably the top 3 resume's in league history. I give Kareem and MJ the nod over Magic (even though he's my all time favorite player any sport) because of ring count. I give Kareem the nod over MJ, because of longevity and being the finals MVP at age 38 is just crazy.

I used to rank them Magic, MJ, Kareem. But the more I look at Kareem's career. The harder it becomes to put him anywhere but #1. Especially when you consider that he did all of that after spending 4 years in college. Imagine how much more he could have accomplished if he came straight from high school or after only a year or 2 of college.

But who would have got the dunk banned in NCAA if not for him?

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Logical people wouldn't hold injuries against Magic, Kareem or Bird. Yet, I don't see anyone giving any of those guys a pass. I don't even see fans of those players or their teams suggesting it. Yet, we're supposed to give Lebron a pass?

Oh, and none of those other players ever stood in the corner during any NBA finals like Lebron did against the Mavs. In fact, when the Lakers lost Kareem going into game 6 of the finals in Magic's rookie season, he played all 5 positions, scored 42 points, 15 rebounds, 7 assists and 3 steals. As a ROOKIE.

I don't think anyone is giving anyone a pass or holding certain things against the others.
I'm also never just going to just use ring count or Finals record as the only measurements for greatness.

How many better QBs are there than Dan Marino?

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 26,889.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Columbian women or French women? Columbian's because they shave their snatch and armpits. And some of them are prettier.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is giving anyone a pass or holding certain things against the others.
I'm also never just going to just use ring count or Finals record as the only measurements for greatness.

How many better QBs are there than Dan Marino?

Joe Flacco > Dan Marino

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bk...You're dead to me

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Careful.....this season and these playoffs were determined by injury. Not sure that the Cavs with a healthy Love AND Irving beat the Warriors because the Cavs would not be as good on the peremeter defending and the Warriors would still be an awesome defensive team. Without Love and Irving, the Cavs can slow down the game and give themselves a real shot and provide a match up issue for GS. The Cavs got the right match up with GS. Not sure, they could wreak the same havoc against the Spurs or Clippers. Just the facts. Also, the Cavs played the Bulls without Gasol and the Hawks (another faux team) without their best peremeter defender.

GS meanwhile got lucky and did not have to play the Spurs -- they can thank the Clippers ----- or the Clippers -- thank the Clippers again this time for choking.
I disagree because they are losing because they have no Depth and they are tired. Having 2 more guys would help keep guys Fresh. Della would only play 20 min a game and he would go crazy for 20 min. He now has to play 30+ and pick when to go crazy.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than that one game where he missed open shots. He has been scoring 25 a game on 50% shooting. If that's bad then Curry must be one of the greatest players ever
Yes it is bad. Guy hasn't shown up. If you think he is playing well u are Crazy and haven't watched any of the games. He has had 1 good game, and in another game had a good 4th Q but still made 4 turnovers under 3 mins left in that come back.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors have won 80+ games this season (including playoffs). Every team that has done that has won the title. The Warriors by defensive/offensive efficiencies are an all time type team. But they have looked pathetic this series against a team that is missing 2 of it's 3 top players and likely 3 of top 5 if you count the Sideshow Bob injury early in the season. Honestly, the Cavs have made the Warriors look like paper tigers and Curry should hand back his MVP, or just bring it to game 5 and give it to LeBron.

I still say the Warriors win this thing. Likely in 6. But right now, nothing is certain, and if the lose this series it has to go down as one of the biggest upsets in recent in NBA playoff history.
I agree 100%.

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I dont like the cross sports comparisons. Judging greatness in basketball on rings is a lot different than judging QBs on rings. Way different sports. Marino was one of 22 guys on the field. Of a 60 minute football game Marino was on the field less than 30 (special teams and defense). Marino never played D. Also Marino handed the ball off on some plays. A QBs ability to effect the outcome of a game is by far the most of any position in the NFL. But pales in comparison to MJs, Lebrons, or Kobes ability.

Basketball players play 40+ minutes in the finals. They play D. They are one of 10 guys on the court..not 22. If you are the best player on the court every time you step out, then you should come back with rings at some point. LeBron has. Whether he reaches the Jordan level only time will tell. I just think comparing lack of rings across team sports is not a fair way of proving anything. The two sports are just to different.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st rd means crap, its when the Big lights are on you. Also please don't compare the East back then to the East of now. Please just stop before you embarrass yourself. Also throw in MJ stayed with the same team and had to build the team. He didn't leave his team, Go to a super power team, and then come back after reloading because of losing. Whats great about MJ is he wins 3 in a row and then takes 1 1/2 years off(baseball) and then wins 3 in a row again just to show everyone how good he is. If he never left Bulls would of won 8 in a row.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
GOAT or BOAT depends on how you define. Most championships/Most Clutch Shooting/Most Complete Game, etc. Really depends on how you weight these things. Both in the top 5. Lebron is a freakish athlete ala Jim Brown an Wilt that had the athletic skills on a build that are way ahead of his time and he has close to the scoring skills and probaly better passing and rebounding and defensive skills than Lebron.

However, Lebron is 2-3 in th finals and has both exceled and shrunk in some big moments.
I can agree with most of that post. IF he loses again he will be 2-4. That is not good. I will admit Im ok giving him a pass this year. He isn't playing great but he is giving his all with a depleted team. He is trying to will this team and I can respect that.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can agree with most of that post. IF he loses again he will be 2-4. That is not good. I will admit Im ok giving him a pass this year. He isn't playing great but he is giving his all with a depleted team. He is trying to will this team and I can respect that.

He deserves a pass for 2007 and 2015. Honestly the only finals he should get criticized for is Dallas. Even last year against the Spurs, he did his job but the rest of our roster did not and our defense was a joke

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He deserves a pass for 2007 and 2015. Honestly the only finals he should get criticized for is Dallas. Even last year against the Spurs, he did his job but the rest of our roster did not and our defense was a joke
I don't give him a pass for 2007 because that was a good learning experience. Last year no way. That miami team should of never lost a championship.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't give him a pass for 2007 because that was a good learning experience. Last year no way. That miami team should of never lost a championship.

Did you watch the finals last year? Lebron did his part. He can't go out there and score for the other guys. Basketball is a team sport and it is even more of a team sport when you play a team like the Spurs. The Spurs will never let one player beat them in a series

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1st rd means crap, its when the Big lights are on you. Also please don't compare the East back then to the East of now. Please just stop before you embarrass yourself. Also throw in MJ stayed with the same team and had to build the team. He didn't leave his team, Go to a super power team, and then come back after reloading because of losing. Whats great about MJ is he wins 3 in a row and then takes 1 1/2 years off(baseball) and then wins 3 in a row again just to show everyone how good he is. If he never left Bulls would of won 8 in a row.

Yea because those Houston teams were terrible. Also, he did come back and they lost to the Magic. People love to discount that Jordan season because somehow during a full season of play he wouldn't have let Nick Anderson make him his bitch in those finals moments of game 6. Yes.. that's it. 8 in a row would have been for sure.

Also Miami would have swept the Warriors in just 3 games in LeBron stayed. Giving away hypothetical titles is fun.