• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Manager.........Bruce Allen?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On December 17th 2009, Bruce Allen was named Executive vice president/General Manager of the team. One season ago, after firing another head coach announced to the world that there was a new sheriff in town. A new sheriff? Really? Here's a question for you Bruce........whatcha been doing since 2009??..........Bruce?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On December 17th 2009, Bruce Allen was named Executive vice president/General Manager of the team. One season ago, after firing another head coach announced to the world that there was a new sheriff in town. A new sheriff? Really? Here's a question for you Bruce........whatcha been doing since 2009??..........Bruce?

shanahan was president of all football operations and HC . your point ?

this has been gone over a number of times shanny had final say on ALL player moves and what kind of staff he had

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

this has been gone over a number of times shanny had final say on ALL player moves and what kind of staff he had

I agree. Allen had very little, if anything, to do with talent acquisition while Shanahan was here. He may prove not to be a good GM, but you can't pin the Shanahan talent decisions on him.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. Allen had very little, if anything, to do with talent acquisition while Shanahan was here. He may prove not to be a good GM, but you can't pin the Shanahan talent decisions on him.

So basically, although he was indeed general manager during that time, he pulled a Haynesworth, got paid to do nothing. Got it!

I can fault him for ceding his responsibilities as GM to his coach. This speaks of a dysfunctional organization, one where a GM is not a GM, but must adhere to the wishes of his employee.

Last edited by a moderator:

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So basically, although he was indeed general manager during that time, he pulled a Haynesworth, got paid to do nothing. Got it!

I can fault him for ceding his responsibilities as GM to his coach. This speaks of a dysfunctional organization, one where a GM is not a GM, but must adhere to the wishes of his employee.

From our vantage point, it could appear so.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, what else "could" it be?

I have no idea. But clearly he provided some value to his boss otherwise he wouldn't have been made Pres. of Ops. I don't get hung up on titles. Maybe he was titled as GM while shanahan was here but his role obviously wasn't as a traditional NFL GM. What I do know is he handles the cap and contact issues very well. His skills in developing and managing a scouting dept are in question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea. But clearly he provided some value to his boss otherwise he wouldn't have been made Pres. of Ops. I don't get hung up on titles. Maybe he was titled as GM while shanahan was here but his role obviously wasn't as a traditional NFL GM. What I do know is he handles the cap and contact issues very well. His skills in developing and managing a scouting dept are in question.

Any one ever consider the fact that the last thing we needed was a cap guru that would basically enable our owner to play fantasy football?? Yes Allen is a cap and contracts wiz. So now we have a guy who can basically get us out of any cap trouble, an owner who loves shiny new toys, and a first year head coach who may well be in over his head with these two. Oh yes, and a likely top five draft pick in a draft that once again is sporting two once in a generation QBs right as half the planet has soured on our last once in a generation QB from three drafts ago. Brings to mind a movie title..... The Perfect Storm

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any one ever consider the fact that the last thing we needed was a cap guru that would basically enable our owner to play fantasy football?? Yes Allen is a cap and contracts wiz. So now we have a guy who can basically get us out of any cap trouble, an owner who loves shiny new toys, and a first year head coach who may well be in over his head with these two. Oh yes, and a likely top five draft pick in a draft that once again is sporting two once in a generation QBs right as half the planet has soured on our last once in a generation QB from three drafts ago. Brings to mind a movie title..... The Perfect Storm

You always need a cap guru. What you don't need is an owner that meddles and uses a cap guru to fund his meddling. As far as contracts, Allen has done a very good job with the contracts he has executed limiting future damage if the player doesn't work out.

I tend to agree with Dad here. I think Snyder/Allen/Gruden have gotten the message. I bet they go heavy in this draft on position players (OL, DL Secondary) and don't even go after a QB until Round 4 or later. Primarily because there isn't a QB worth taking in the first, although someone with take one (or two).

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i really don't understand this thread. It was very clear that when Shanny was here he had final say over the roster with little if any input from Allen. Bruce's role was to work the numbers and sign manageable contracts, unlike in the past.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shanny had final say on all personnel decisions. You sure? Was Bruce's only job to bring in players and coaches from Tampa? Snyder kept the guy who didn't do anything except be in charge of pants & picnics and fired the guy who did everything else, including running the defense?

C'mon guys I have some cheap swamp land in North Dakota for sale.

I understand that it is not fun to know your owner is involved in every decision made by the team but it is a fact. Don't believe it if you want. Who are AJ Smith and Bruce Allen. They are what Snyder has surrounded himself with his entire career. They are Snyder yes men.

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah i really don't understand this thread. It was very clear that when Shanny was here he had final say over the roster with little if any input from Allen. Bruce's role was to work the numbers and sign manageable contracts, unlike in the past.

Generally, when there is confusion it comes from seeing/understanding things as one believes them to be rather than as they really are. That said, ask yourself , what role does a GM play. Once you've answered that question, see if it matches the role that Allen has played since 2009 when he became GM. Then answer one other question.......what respectable GM cedes his responsibilities to his HC and employee.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what you are saying is snyder was responsible for joe gibbs 2 making the playoffs twice and shanny's one year wonder in DC ?

so i can make the argument that he knows how to win but his yes men arent executing his belief systems the past few seasons and if they did their jobs like snyder mandates then we would be winning

the first few seasons were his learning curve :whistle:

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what you are saying is snyder was responsible for joe gibbs 2 making the playoffs twice and shanny's one year wonder in DC ?

so i can make the argument that he knows how to win but his yes men arent executing his belief systems the past few seasons and if they did their jobs like snyder mandates then we would be winning

the first few seasons were his learning curve :whistle:

Who's post are you replying to?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who's post are you replying to?

that was a general question for all the snyder bashers

me personally i dont like the guy . i think he is a rich arrogant spoiled bitch

but for the last 13 weeks all i hear is how jacked up he is and the following doom and gloom associated with this team

i cant tell you for certain he has lessened his meddling or not but some of you think he should do nothing but sign checks but really that isnt realistic . no owner will do that

now if you want to say he made the calls during shanny's reign then he gets to say' i was right on Rg3 and my jackwagon coach screwed him up by playing him when he wasnt 100% " and its his fault my toy has gone wrong . and he would be justified by surrounding himself with yes men like gibbs 2 who made the dumb call on JC

trading up for players rarely works . some wanted us to gut 2 drafts for bradford and sanchez and when we do it for Rg3 its a wrong move its a wrong move no matter who the guy is if you look at history

i believe all 3 people allen shanahan and snyder wanted Rg3 and agreed trading up to get him and snyder paid the price

there was no way Rg3 was dropping and the consolation prize would have been tannehill and he would be spoken as a bust at 6 as well

no one thought wilson or foles would do as well as they have done

so if he has meddled (which he did early and most likely with zorn ) and he can never change then it stands to reason gibbs was also part of the yes men crew and snyder gets credit for the 2 playoff appearances and he ordered the sean taylor drafting the rak drafting the kerrigan drafting

and when shottenhiemer had the reigns he gave us 50-50 gardner

but i say he let gibbs call the shots mostly , spurrier , and shanahan did it as well i also believe to this point he has let gruden call them too .

sure they talk but why would snyder endorse mccoy ? there is nothing that says he couldnt have garretted his ass. and made him play Rg3 no matter what but that didnt happen did it . why? the fan base , the country , the north korean secret service knows he "meddles" so why cover up the supposed obvious ?

now snyder will expect some wins if he lets this mccoy thing go on and let go of gruden at the end of the year or he could have seen on film what Rg3 lacks and why gruden supports mccoy at this time and then support him

allen , snyders mouth piece , has said that gruden is staying so there you all have it now if he fires him then we will know that gruden was shotty part dew and snyder is still in meddling mode

vent on snyder all you want . but he isnt going anywhere no matter how much the collective pisses and moans

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that was a general question for all the snyder bashers

me personally i dont like the guy . i think he is a rich arrogant spoiled bitch

but for the last 13 weeks all i hear is how jacked up he is and the following doom and gloom associated with this team

i cant tell you for certain he has lessened his meddling or not but some of you think he should do nothing but sign checks but really that isnt realistic . no owner will do that

now if you want to say he made the calls during shanny's reign then he gets to say' i was right on Rg3 and my jackwagon coach screwed him up by playing him when he wasnt 100% " and its his fault my toy has gone wrong . and he would be justified by surrounding himself with yes men like gibbs 2 who made the dumb call on JC

trading up for players rarely works . some wanted us to gut 2 drafts for bradford and sanchez and when we do it for Rg3 its a wrong move its a wrong move no matter who the guy is if you look at history

i believe all 3 people allen shanahan and snyder wanted Rg3 and agreed trading up to get him and snyder paid the price

there was no way Rg3 was dropping and the consolation prize would have been tannehill and he would be spoken as a bust at 6 as well

no one thought wilson or foles would do as well as they have done

so if he has meddled (which he did early and most likely with zorn ) and he can never change then it stands to reason gibbs was also part of the yes men crew and snyder gets credit for the 2 playoff appearances and he ordered the sean taylor drafting the rak drafting the kerrigan drafting

and when shottenhiemer had the reigns he gave us 50-50 gardner

but i say he let gibbs call the shots mostly , spurrier , and shanahan did it as well i also believe to this point he has let gruden call them too .

sure they talk but why would snyder endorse mccoy ? there is nothing that says he couldnt have garretted his ass. and made him play Rg3 no matter what but that didnt happen did it . why? the fan base , the country , the north korean secret service knows he "meddles" so why cover up the supposed obvious ?

now snyder will expect some wins if he lets this mccoy thing go on and let go of gruden at the end of the year or he could have seen on film what Rg3 lacks and why gruden supports mccoy at this time and then support him

allen , snyders mouth piece , has said that gruden is staying so there you all have it now if he fires him then we will know that gruden was shotty part dew and snyder is still in meddling mode

vent on snyder all you want . but he isnt going anywhere no matter how much the collective pisses and moans

I don't vent on Snyder as much as I realize what he is as well as have insight from my brother and a couple of friends who worked for him. You are right, he isn't going anywhere and that is sad. He will have the occasional good season but I expect they will be every 3 or 4 years. I hope I am wrong.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we arguing the FACT that Shanny had final say over personnel? It's a fact guys. It was the condition he insisted on before accepting the job, it was the role he played in Denver. It's a fact, Allen was brought in as a GM to handle the contracts and the cap. That's a role every GM plays.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we arguing the FACT that Shanny had final say over personnel? It's a fact guys. It was the condition he insisted on before accepting the job, it was the role he played in Denver. It's a fact, Allen was brought in as a GM to handle the contracts and the cap. That's a role every GM plays.

I'm with you. I'm not sure why this is an issue. As for if Allen ceded his responsibilities to his "employee". Shanahan never reported to Allen. Shanahan came in as HC and President of Operations. a direct report to Snyder. Allen also reported directly to Snyder. Allen may have his flaws, but we don't need to manufacture issues for him. He does some things very well (contracts, cap, etc) and is questionable in other areas (talent acquisition). Lets see how he handles this offseason that will be a true litmus test. He has a full slate of picks and a pretty healthy cap space. But a couple of really difficult decisions.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This isn't really completely true. By all reported accounts lately, Shanny had to be talked into trading for/drafting RGIII, by Mr Bruce Allen. I've posted the links which make these claims before, but its been reported so it has to be considered as possible that Bruce, maybe acting as a proxy for Snyder, pressured Shanny to acquire RGIII.

If there is any truth to those reports, then it paints Bruce far more responsible for this mess and much less the innocent victim of Shanny's "final say".

Also if it can be said that Bruce was involved in the decision to acquire RGIII, it should be assumed he had some role in other personnel decisions. Much like Haslett threw Shannty under the bus to keep his job, its very possible that Bruce threw Shanny under the bus to get his promotion to become "the new sheriff". Think about how these things work, the guy that sticks around always trashes his former boss to get himself a promotion. Haslett being a perfect example. But we've all found out the fraud there. Slowly we will find out about the fraud that is Bruce Allen as GM.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't really completely true. By all reported accounts lately, Shanny had to be talked into trading for/drafting RGIII, by Mr Bruce Allen. I've posted the links which make these claims before, but its been reported so it has to be considered as possible that Bruce, maybe acting as a proxy for Snyder, pressured Shanny to acquire RGIII.

If there is any truth to those reports, then it paints Bruce far more responsible for this mess and much less the innocent victim of Shanny's "final say".

Also if it can be said that Bruce was involved in the decision to acquire RGIII, it should be assumed he had some role in other personnel decisions.

who is making the claim ?