• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Manager.........Bruce Allen?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As has been reported, its not really true that Bruce had very little influence. Its been reported that Bruce not only preferred to make the trade for RGIII, that Shanny was initially opposed to paying that price, but that Bruce persisted in "influencing" Shanny to make the trade for RGIII. If those reports are to be believed, and only the Ostrich's among us would simply blow the reports off entirely, then Bruce not only had significant influence on Shanny, he actually got his way over Shanny's objections on the biggest transaction the club has made in the last several decades.

all i ask KSD is put a name to it . give me a redskins person who will put their name to it

dont give me a GD theory from jason ried or espn

then i will buy it

and if shanny didnt stand on his principals that is on him period

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reported by whom? I saw the reid piece, if thats what you are referring to. He has no credibility as far as I'm concerned. So who else? I'm not saying its not possible, just not putting any stock in a blogger known for making shit up to see what sticks.

And, again, what's the point of this thread? I'm not defending Bruce, he has a ways to go in my eyes, but I also think we need to be fair in the ass kicking we give him.

Not for nothing, but Mike Florio and Stephen A Smith also reported that Shanahan actually did NOT want to move up to take Griffin and would have preferred to stay put and grab Tannehill. Now I know most will simply say these guys are just glorified bloggers along with Reid and Jones. And all have an ax to grind with Snyder and would have no problem throwing Drama out there. But fact is Russ Lande who worked with Shanahan came out BEFORE the trade and stated he thought Shanahan would prefer Tannehill over Griffin. So lets not act as if the thought was impossible.

Side note, the difference between a blogger and All the guys I mentioned including Jones and Reid.... A blogger doesnt get paid to give his opinion. Most of these guys get paid for their work, and at some point if there were no truth to what they were saying, you dont think Dan would slap them with an injunction of some sort?? remember we are talking about the guy who filed suit against Grandma because she refused to buy season tickets for what turned out to be a 3-13 season.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for nothing, but Mike Florio and Stephen A Smith also reported that Shanahan actually did NOT want to move up to take Griffin and would have preferred to stay put and grab Tannehill. Now I know most will simply say these guys are just glorified bloggers along with Reid and Jones. And all have an ax to grind with Snyder and would have no problem throwing Drama out there. But fact is Russ Lande who worked with Shanahan came out BEFORE the trade and stated he thought Shanahan would prefer Tannehill over Griffin. So lets not act as if the thought was impossible.

Side note, the difference between a blogger and All the guys I mentioned including Jones and Reid.... A blogger doesnt get paid to give his opinion. Most of these guys get paid for their work, and at some point if there were no truth to what they were saying, you dont think Dan would slap them with an injunction of some sort?? remember we are talking about the guy who filed suit against Grandma because she refused to buy season tickets for what turned out to be a 3-13 season.

If you start hearing it from more sources, it starts to become something that you would consider. Just to clarify again. I don't doubt that Dan was involved in the RG3 trade. But I still maintain that Mike was not forced into this. Mike had the authority and the power to nix it if he was dead set on it. Lets also remember that the deal was done with Mike's good buddy so you know mike was intimately involved in the negotiations.

My whole contention is what stroke bruce had during this period. For argument's sake, I'll give you that bruce was involved in the RG3 transaction (probably just representing Dan's point of view). But that doesn't mean he was calling the shots for all talent acquistion during this period, as some have suggested in this thread. That's just blatantly wrong. Anyone that has followed Shanahan knows that he was calling the shots on all players we signed or drafted.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y... I will openly concede that Bruce Allen had NOTHING at all to do with actual talent scouting over the four years Shanahan was here. But I think he played a major role in getting the Griffin deal done. And that had nothing what so ever to do with the scouting of talent and everything to do with name hunting for the owner. Lest we all forget that the original plan was to make the trade for Griffin AND fill out the roster in free agency in 2012.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all i ask KSD is put a name to it . give me a redskins person who will put their name to it

dont give me a GD theory from jason ried or espn

then i will buy it

and if shanny didnt stand on his principals that is on him period

This really has nothing to do with Shanny at this point. This is simply a counter to the seemingly accepted notion that we cannot grade Bruce Allen yet because he A) had no influence prior to 2014 (false) or B) he wasn't actually involved in player decisions while Shanny was here (false). The whole point of posting this isn't the demonstrate the relationship between Shanny and Bruce, its to demonstrate that Bruce's tenure here didn't simply magically begin in January 2014 after Shanny left. The claim that we cannot grade Bruce yet is just hollow. He's been shaping this team since his arrival, and after his 5 years here being the guy in the owners box with Dan Snyder, with Dan Snyder's trusted ear, he's delivered two consecutive 3-13 seasons. Wanna know what GM never delivered two 3-13 seasons, let alone two straight 3-13 seasons? Vinny FUCKING Ceratto! Yeah, you heard that right, Bruce Allen as GM has a worse record than Vinny Ceratto. Vinny of the Spurrier years and the Jim Zorn years. All four of those years were actually better than the last two years under Bruce Allen!

But hey, keep defending the guy because, well... I have no fucking idea why anyone is still defending Bruce Allen around here. This place has been as bad of a circus this year as any under Snyder. There isn't an ounce of leadership in the front office today, none, zip, nada.

But hey, keep on defending ole Bruce, because his previous track records was sooooo magnificent, and his record here only counts for this single 3-13 circus season.

:facepalm5:

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
j_y... I will openly concede that Bruce Allen had NOTHING at all to do with actual talent scouting over the four years Shanahan was here. But I think he played a major role in getting the Griffin deal done. And that had nothing what so ever to do with the scouting of talent and everything to do with name hunting for the owner. Lest we all forget that the original plan was to make the trade for Griffin AND fill out the roster in free agency in 2012.

Other than being the General Manager responsible for hiring and managing the entire scouting staff? WHy would you concede that Allen "had nothing to do with scouting" when the entire scouting department reported to him?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Other than being the General Manager responsible for hiring and managing the entire scouting staff? WHy would you concede that Allen "had nothing to do with scouting" when the entire scouting department reported to him?

Dave... I can concede that because I have spent years working for companies that have senior managers of departments that could not perform the actual work of the lowest member on their team. Allen is a paper pusher and PR man for the most part.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dave... I can concede that because I have spent years working for companies that have senior managers of departments that could not perform the actual work of the lowest member on their team. Allen is a paper pusher and PR man for the most part.

Well, on this we agree, and its why I think he has absolutely no business being the GM of this or any NFL team. But others seem to want to "give him more time" to which I simply see him as being entirely unqualified, so why does he deserve more time?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just to be clear, this team redefined the responsibilities of it's GM to the point where in interviews, public pronouncements and moves requiring approval, everyone turned to the wrong person? We all should have , instead , turned to his boss and employee, MS the general manager in fact and not the guy who wore and was paid for the role?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW: I know that this team got royally reamed by the league, but that cap hit had Bruce Allen's fingerprints all over ii, as well as the coaching staff, and scouting team.

Last edited by a moderator: