• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

General Manager.........Bruce Allen?

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You claimed this team is a mess off the field as well... and Bruce is the GM since 2009. So who do we blame for that stuff?

ok we are going to go round and round on this ? shanahan had control of it so from a player stand point he is .

from a drama aspect some of the players some of the coaches , the press

look allen will be exposed soon enough but after one off season in which it is beyond all doubt who was calling the shots of the operation i think he gets more time

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to consider all options at this time since I am tired of rooting for a loser team almost every year. If - and only if - the Redskins could persuade a younger GM who worked for a successful organization to take control of this team I would be for it with one extra condition - also get rid of Gruden.

To date - Gruden has shown absolutely nothing to indicate that he is a competent head coach. It is not simply a matter of his record - everything about him as a coach is terrible. On a regular basis they are terrible at things that are indicative of coaching - penalties, turnovers, clock mgmt, miss assignments, locker room issues, etc, etc. At this pt the only thing that makes you believe that he could coach is his last name.

I agree that you should not fire a coach after one year & believe most likely he will be back. However - do you simply retain a coach on that basis? If you knew for a fact that your head coach was awful would you retain him regardless simply because of the "you can't fire a coach after one year" unwritten rule?

I am trying to find hope in Gruden or anyone else with this organization, but I am losing faith. Help me out here. Skinsdad - are your beliefs simply based on blind faith or do you actually see any promise with this team? Don't you sometimes think that hey my predictions/hopes/etc are the same ones that I stated 3, 5 or even 8 years ago? What leads anyone to believe that this organization will ever figure it out when you basically have the devil for an owner? Looking for a way to again find hope for this team.

Last edited by a moderator:

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to consider all options at this time since I am tired of rooting for a loser team almost every year. If - and only if - the Redskins could persuade a younger GM who worked for a successful organization to take control of this team I would be for it with one extra condition - also get rid of Gruden.

To date - Gruden has shown absolutely nothing to indicate that he is a competent head coach. It is not simply a matter of his record - everything about him as a coach is terrible. On a regular basis they are terrible at things that are indicative of coaching - penalties, turnovers, clock mgmt, miss assignments, locker room issues, etc, etc. At this pt the only thing that makes you believe that he could coach is his last name.

I agree that you should not fire a coach after one year & believe most likely he will be back. However - do you simply retain a coach on that basis? If you knew for a fact that your head coach was awful would you retain him regardless simply because of the "you can't fire a coach after one year" unwritten rule?

I am trying to find hope in Gruden or anyone else with this organization, but I am losing faith. Help me out here. Skinsdad - are your beliefs simply based on blind faith or do you actually see any promise with this team? Don't you sometimes think that hey my predictions/hopes/etc are the same ones that I stated 3, 5 or even 8 years ago? What leads anyone to believe that this organization will ever figure it out when you basically have the devil for an owner? Looking for a way to again find hope for this team.

I can't argue a word of this. He has shown nothing to date. But since we all agree that next year is a lost cause regardless I think you can do more harm than good by having another one and done coach. Now if the rift between management's preference to stick with Griff and the coach's desire to move on becomes a huge problem, now that's another story

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't argue a word of this. He has shown nothing to date. But since we all agree that next year is a lost cause regardless I think you can do more harm than good by having another one and done coach. Now if the rift between management's preference to stick with Griff and the coach's desire to move on becomes a huge problem, now that's another story

I am OK with bringing Gruden back for another year & would love for the guy to prove me wrong about his ability to coach. However - I just don't see any signs of it at the current time. Perhaps - just like RG3 - he needs to use the offseason to become a better coach. You just can't have 100 yd+ penalties per game, constant blown assignments & numerous other mistakes & expect to win in this game. I put this on Gruden almost entirely. He needs to set the tone. For starters - if he somehow retains Haslett then he will prove that he doesn't belong in this league.

Please, please Jay prove me wrong!

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still wondering why people are so hell bent on absolving Dan and Bruce for the clusterfuck that is the current roster and in specific the trade and drafting of Griffin.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wonder why some people are so hell bent on rewriting history ?

ok so allen called all the shots and is also responsible for bringing in williams , garcon , reed , morris , kerrigan robinson baker hall helu as well right ?

you link allen to snyder and want to twist things

and what its all said and done you guys want to junk everything yet again in yet another snyder move that all of you say you cant stand ?

as for gruden , it is year one in his career and you guys want to get rid of a guy after a loss

patience is what you all lack and this team will suffer for it

fire them all then get rid of everyone , we get a new mouth piece for snyder and a HS coach to build this team because frankly guys there isnt too many options if you continue to make this team into a circus

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or why cant it be something more realistic like all dan really cares about is the head liner type players. He wasnt going to involve himself in the signing of a 3rd string QB or the drafting of a 6th round safety. thus Allen likely wasnt going to get involved, so odds are those truly were all on Mike good or bad. But the likelihood of Dan ( and thus Bruce) being heavily involved and in fact the driving force behind the RG3 trade sounds alot more realistic than saying a coach of 30+ years throws his ingrained habits straight the frak out the window and makes the kind of move that is totally against Character for a player that goes totally against anything he has ever wanted in a QB.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or why cant it be something more realistic like all dan really cares about is the head liner type players. He wasnt going to involve himself in the signing of a 3rd string QB or the drafting of a 6th round safety. thus Allen likely wasnt going to get involved, so odds are those truly were all on Mike good or bad. But the likelihood of Dan ( and thus Bruce) being heavily involved and in fact the driving force behind the RG3 trade sounds alot more realistic than saying a coach of 30+ years throws his ingrained habits straight the frak out the window and makes the kind of move that is totally against Character for a player that goes totally against anything he has ever wanted in a QB.

look you cant pick and choose bad things for person "X" and ignore the good things

for the record i dont think shanny is at fault here he did some good things but advocating that allen gets the full 3 years to actually do his job shouldnt be a huge issue

if shanny didnt exercise his contract rights that is on him

i believe all 3 wanted the guy and that they most likely missed on him and i may start a thread with my interpretation of what went down

i did that before didnt i ?

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look you cant pick and choose bad things for person "X" and ignore the good things

for the record i dont think shanny is at fault here he did some good things but advocating that allen gets the full 3 years to actually do his job shouldnt be a huge issue

if shanny didnt exercise his contract rights that is on him

i believe all 3 wanted the guy and that they most likely missed on him and i may start a thread with my interpretation of what went down

i did that before didnt i ?

Who is picking and choosing?? I have said from day one... THE TRADE FOR RG3 SCREAMS Dan Snyder. I have said, I dont believe Dan is capable of giving up total power. Case in point, if Bruce Allen is supposed to be where the buck stops... why on earth does Dan need a personal talent evaluation consultant??

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still wondering why people are so hell bent on absolving Dan and Bruce for the clusterfuck that is the current roster and in specific the trade and drafting of Griffin.

Are you serious? The jury is out on Allen & it is hard to tell for certain where his responsibilities lie both for the past offseason & the ones prior to that. That is something none of us know for sure.

However - in regards to Snyder - who is absolving this POS of anything? Do you actually know anyone (who is not related nor paid well by the guy) who likes him & doesn't consider him the root cause for just about everything that is wrong with the Redskins?

You need to get off your RG3 kick - there is plenty wrong with this organization that goes well beyond simply the QB position & that trade.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW - with these questions & related analysis I certainly hope that you are not making Mike Shanahan out to be a victim or someone who could have been the savior if things were played out differently. I would argue strongly against both. The guy is a snake & past his prime as a coach. I would say that he is most likely a better coach then Gruden at this time, but that is not saying much.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you serious? The jury is out on Allen & it is hard to tell for certain where his responsibilities lie both for the past offseason & the ones prior to that. That is something none of us know for sure.

However - in regards to Snyder - who is absolving this POS of anything? Do you actually know anyone (who is not related nor paid well by the guy) who likes him & doesn't consider him the root cause for just about everything that is wrong with the Redskins?

You need to get off your RG3 kick - there is plenty wrong with this organization that goes well beyond simply the QB position & that trade.

Gotta say I agree here. Dan Snyder is the root of all problems with this franchise. Was he behind the RG3 trade? Probably in some form. But lets remember who was in charge. Shanahan. And he was in full power mode at that time. The guy has a strong personality and I seriously doubt he could have been pressured into RG3 if he didn't agree with it on some level. Bruce had very little power or influence at that time. I guess I still don't understand why we need to manufacture issues for Bruce. There are real concerns about his abilities as GM without trying to rewrite history and blame talent acquisition on him during the Shanahan tenure. Every player taken or signed during Mike's stretch here was all him. There were some good and a bunch not so good, but Mike had final say on every one. The guy is just too much of a control freak to believe it was any other way.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Socal... I worded that question exactly as it was supposed to sound. According to some, Mike Shanahan was the sole reason for the problems of the past four years. The belief that is being pushed is that Dan had no say in things like trading for McNabb or the deal to move up for Griffin.

The Griffin trade is just the most spectacular example of things at the moment. But any one who thinks Dan and Bruce had little or nothing to do with how things ran from 2010 to 2013 have bought into the pay no attention to the man behind the curtain line.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta say I agree here. Dan Snyder is the root of all problems with this franchise. Was he behind the RG3 trade? Probably in some form. But lets remember who was in charge. Shanahan. And he was in full power mode at that time. The guy has a strong personality and I seriously doubt he could have been pressured into RG3 if he didn't agree with it on some level. Bruce had very little power or influence at that time. I guess I still don't understand why we need to manufacture issues for Bruce. There are real concerns about his abilities as GM without trying to rewrite history and blame talent acquisition on him during the Shanahan tenure. Every player taken or signed during Mike's stretch here was all him. There were some good and a bunch not so good, but Mike had final say on every one. The guy is just too much of a control freak to believe it was any other way.

Believing anything else leaves open two possibilities no one really wants to accept.

1. Bruce is just a puppet for Dan
2. It just feels more comforting to blame it all on the guy who is gone. Because if Mike wasnt really as in control as many hope, then it means the root of the problem not only still exists, but it has grown deeper and managed to hide in plain sight.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Believing anything else leaves open two possibilities no one really wants to accept.

1. Bruce is just a puppet for Dan
2. It just feels more comforting to blame it all on the guy who is gone. Because if Mike wasnt really as in control as many hope, then it means the root of the problem not only still exists, but it has grown deeper and managed to hide in plain sight.

Why are those the only 2 possibilities? Why couldn't it be true that Mike had final say on all talent acquisition, Bruce was (and probably still is) just a puppet for Dan, and Dan is the root of all problems because of the overriding negative culture and meddling he has instituted? Not everything (in fact usually nothing) is black and white. Its usually a blend. There is no one that is blameless in the debacle called the shanahan era. Don't see how you can try and pin it on one guy. My only point, and I believe this is echoed by others, is that while shanhan was here, he had final say on all talent. Bruce had very little influence. Dan probably tried, and may have to some extent, to meddle in Shanahan's affairs. But I seriously doubt he ever convinced Mike to do something he was against.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess what I'm really confused about is what is the point of this thread? To highlight that Bruce is weak at talent evaluation? If so, I haven't seen anyone comparing him to Ozzie Newsome. Or is it that he had a title but wasn't really the GM? If so, what differnece does it make?

Bottom line is he is now 100% responsible. We can judge him from last offseason going forward on how he does as our GM. He actually did ok in the draft, but not so much in FA. But he deserves more than one offseason before we crown him a genius or declare him a bust.

KickSaveDave

Message Board Migrant
America's safest and most boring city: Irvine, CA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are those the only 2 possibilities? Why couldn't it be true that Mike had final say on all talent acquisition, Bruce was (and probably still is) just a puppet for Dan, and Dan is the root of all problems because of the overriding negative culture and meddling he has instituted? Not everything (in fact usually nothing) is black and white. Its usually a blend. There is no one that is blameless in the debacle called the shanahan era. Don't see how you can try and pin it on one guy. My only point, and I believe this is echoed by others, is that while shanhan was here, he had final say on all talent. Bruce had very little influence. Dan probably tried, and may have to some extent, to meddle in Shanahan's affairs. But I seriously doubt he ever convinced Mike to do something he was against.

As has been reported, its not really true that Bruce had very little influence. Its been reported that Bruce not only preferred to make the trade for RGIII, that Shanny was initially opposed to paying that price, but that Bruce persisted in "influencing" Shanny to make the trade for RGIII. If those reports are to be believed, and only the Ostrich's among us would simply blow the reports off entirely, then Bruce not only had significant influence on Shanny, he actually got his way over Shanny's objections on the biggest transaction the club has made in the last several decades.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As has been reported, its not really true that Bruce had very little influence. Its been reported that Bruce not only preferred to make the trade for RGIII, that Shanny was initially opposed to paying that price, but that Bruce persisted in "influencing" Shanny to make the trade for RGIII. If those reports are to be believed, and only the Ostrich's among us would simply blow the reports off entirely, then Bruce not only had significant influence on Shanny, he actually got his way over Shanny's objections on the biggest transaction the club has made in the last several decades.

Reported by whom? I saw the reid piece, if thats what you are referring to. He has no credibility as far as I'm concerned. So who else? I'm not saying its not possible, just not putting any stock in a blogger known for making shit up to see what sticks.

And, again, what's the point of this thread? I'm not defending Bruce, he has a ways to go in my eyes, but I also think we need to be fair in the ass kicking we give him.