• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

GDT - San Jose at Nashville - Feb 15, 5:00PM

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thornton did a nice job back checking to put pressure on the Nashville guy (forget who it was) but Huskins was the one with the poke check and then he also was the one who turned the play around with the outlet to Marleau. What's with all the points that Huskins is putting up lately? I'm glad that Thornton got a point for his sake, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they take his assist away because I'm not sure he ever touched the puck.

I think it was Goc with the TO on that play. Huskins is on fire now, 2 assists tonight. Weird that the box score shows his +/- as 1 and not 2 for the game. Nashville's goal was on the PP.

UTVolCountry

(>',')> Laser_Mike_89
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, are you NSH_PREDS on ESPN? Anyway, wish your team good luck for the rest of the season. Predators should make the playoffs because they play hard and gritty hockey consistently, something the Sharks should learn from. The last game of the season series in SJ should be another tight 1-goal game, as they each have been so far.

I guess the copy and past gave it away, lol. :)

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about ANOTHER game winner and +2 for Captain Blinky, eh?

30+ goals and another "subpar" year but nobody cares.. he still sucks, right?

shrksfn9192

SJ Sharks Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well it was nice to hear the Sharks won tonight. Just keep up the solid play.

We all know how well a hockey team responds during their first home game after a long road trip!

I hope the Sharks are ready for Thur against the Caps, cuz I plan on being there to watch a good game.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Gotta give Thornton some props for that game winner as he forced the turnover.

He did? i just watched the OT and it was a great poke check by Husky Pants then an even better outlet pass by Husky Pants. Was Junky Joe just in the area?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ah backside pressure forcing the forward into the bad play with husky pants

Slimpikins

Well, fuck it
Hoopla Cash
$ 330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I noticed Drew mention that Joe was leading the league in takeaways. I went to NHL.com to check the stats and they don't even keep the takeaway/giveaway stat.

Is he talking out of his ass again or am I just to stupid to work the interwebs correctly?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I noticed Drew mention that Joe was leading the league in takeaways. I went to NHL.com to check the stats and they don't even keep the takeaway/giveaway stat.

Is he talking out of his ass again or am I just to stupid to work the interwebs correctly?

On NHL.com you need to go to the real-time-stats chart. TkA is the take away stat. Thornton leads with 81, 2nd is Toews with 68.

Take Away Stats

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
the problem is that giveaways and takeaways arent a useful stat. Someone can have zero giveaways if he never touches the puck or have tons of takeaways if the other team always has the puck. Datsyuk is a far better pickpocket than jumbo, but when jumbo is out there, the other team seems to have the puck a ton and after jumbo gets the takeaway, he simply gives it right back.

Lastly, what constitutes the official definition of giveaway or takeaway? Seems to me that making a bad pass behind the guy that gets turned the other way may not count as a technical giveaway, but it has the same effect just as intercepting a pass may not count as a takeaway but it has the same effect.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
the problem is that giveaways and takeaways arent a useful stat. Someone can have zero giveaways if he never touches the puck or have tons of takeaways if the other team always has the puck. Datsyuk is a far better pickpocket than jumbo, but when jumbo is out there, the other team seems to have the puck a ton and after jumbo gets the takeaway, he simply gives it right back.

Lastly, what constitutes the official definition of giveaway or takeaway? Seems to me that making a bad pass behind the guy that gets turned the other way may not count as a technical giveaway, but it has the same effect just as intercepting a pass may not count as a takeaway but it has the same effect.

Uh, your kind of defeating your item argument, of course it doesn't reflect on a guy who doesn't have the puck its not a stat that is meant to reflect on guys who don't have the puck.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thornton would probably cut his giveaway total in half if he'd quit with the blind passes into the slot from below the goal line.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As I understand it, takeaways are only given out when you put pressure on someone forcing a turnover. The play in OT last night that led to Marleau's winner I would classify as a takeaway. But yeah it is like hits, it's all dependent on who is doing the scoring. Still it does give you a fairly good idea of who is good at forcing turnovers and who is good at giving the puck up.