• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Gary Brown DFA'd

GiantsPackersChamps2011

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cardinals DFA'd Brown today. He is once again out there.

Was hitting .160 in nine games for the Memphis Redbirds

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SS on the phone to his agent in 3, 2, 1....
I doubt it.

He didnt like the Giants and the Giants didnt like him.

Yet another player who doesnt want to play with us :(

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, the Giants MIGHT put in a claim. Brown still has options, and the Giants have an opening on the 40-man...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bust. Not sure what happened to this guy. I guess he just can't make the leap to Major League hitting

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this guy was going to be our CF of the future. What the heck happened?

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought this guy was going to be our CF of the future. What the heck happened?

What happens to 90% of prospects....he didn't pan out.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which means that the Giants passed on him, even with an open 40-spot.

Speaks volumes.

Well, yeah. The Giants know what he provides (and more importantly, what he doesn't).

Brown is a great example of why I don't get excited about 'top prospects' at any 'A' level - they have to have at least 2 years of pro ball, and make it to at least AA before I consider them a 'top prospect'. (Or do a 'Lincecum' or pull a "Posey' :D )I call bullsheet on the 'experts' who rank a guy in the top 5 who hasn't played a single inning of pro ball because they 'have a high ceiling'. That happens a lot with the Giants for some reason, and very few make it to the bigs and stick. We've been lucky the last few years, seeing Cain, Timmy, Pablo, Posey, MadBum, Craw, and Belt not just make the majors, but be pretty damn impressive. Most of those guys are true stars (Craw because of his glove). And we might see Panik, Susac, and Heston make the leap to star status this year or next. Face it guys, we have been spoiled (and I *like* being spoiled :heh: ).

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What happens to 90% of prospects....he didn't pan out.

Understood, but what were the details of his not panning out? Did he have a bad Spring Training? Did his minor league work simply show that he wasn't good enough? Maybe I'm just confused because I don't follow minor league baseball and prospects too closely, but I do remember him getting called up last season for limited action, which included appearing in the post season albeit a very limited appearance. Because of that, I thought he was on track, but obviously that wasn't the case.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understood, but what were the details of his not panning out? Did he have a bad Spring Training? Did his minor league work simply show that he wasn't good enough? Maybe I'm just confused because I don't follow minor league baseball and prospects too closely, but I do remember him getting called up last season for limited action, which included appearing in the post season albeit a very limited appearance. Because of that, I thought he was on track, but obviously that wasn't the case.
No one knows fr certain what happened. But here is what the blogosphere basically believes (this has been put together through the past few years of watching his box scores, seeing him get passed over for promotions, and subtle comments by beats guys, FO personal, etc)...

He had success in college and A+ ball, so he basically got stubborn in that his approach got him to the pros, so it must work. The Giants tried to change his stance, approach (whatever) and he would not listen. Well, he struggled in AA and AAA, with only short spans of success. He finally got his shot in the bigs last year, but it was assumed it was a kind of "shit or get off the pot" situation, and apparently, the org was not impressed with him. It is ASSUMED that it has to do with his attitude, but there is nothing that I am aware of that confirms that.

Everything in this post COULD BE complete BS. None of it has ever been confirmed by anyone in the know (that I am aware of). However, it is BASICALLY accepted by those who follow the Giants farm.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Minor league stats :
Gary Brown Minor League Statistics & History | Baseball-Reference.com

He was fast, but got caught stealing a lot. He didn't hit great for either AVG or SLG and had no injuries (Pacific Coast League is a hitter-friendly league), and fielded well. He just was a 5th OF, and we have plenty of those. He had ONE great year in 'A' ball, and not much after. Maxwell may simply take his place in the org.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, fellas. I've come to rely on the posters of this site to fill me in on what's going on in the minors. The MLB season is 162 games long excluding Spring Training and postseason. How do you guys find the time to pay attention to the farm, too? LOL. I need to go check out some minor league baseball some day. I've heard it's usually a fun atmosphere.

Brown had options, right? Isn't it unusual to drop a guy who has options? Did we have to keep him on our 40-man roster to keep him in our organization? I'm unclear on all the transactional rules and whatnot.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, fellas. I've come to rely on the posters of this site to fill me in on what's going on in the minors. The MLB season is 162 games long excluding Spring Training and postseason. How do you guys find the time to pay attention to the farm, too? LOL. I need to go check out some minor league baseball some day. I've heard it's usually a fun atmosphere.

Brown had options, right? Isn't it unusual to drop a guy who has options? Did we have to keep him on our 40-man roster to keep him in our organization? I'm unclear on all the transactional rules and whatnot.
When he was dropped, there was a roster-crunch. Maxwell had made the team, so he needed to be added to the 40-man roster. SOMEONE had to be removed, and the org had decided they were done with Brown (this was later proven when he was DFA'd by the Cardinals and the Giants chose not to claim him, even though they have an open 40-spot).

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I haven't uncovered as much as some of other posters here. I did sorta follow his progress in the minors over the past couple of years. It seems almost always his batting average was not very good. Can field but cannot hit for average. And he is not a youngster anymore. He wasn't progressing fast enough and based on his age he was pretty much at the end of the line to be a serious part of the Giants future.