• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread Lions vs. Bears

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The lions could give him 36 mil guaranteed over that time.. and still cut his cost.. my numbers are just an estimate... literally... the lions could give him what he would get on the open market.. AND save money. The Lions could give him a 4 year deal at 60 mil and guarantee the first 3 years and 45 mil if they wanted and still save money... I doubt that is needed... I would bet they could get it done with far less guaranteed.
What would open market and still saving be? I'm not trying to challenge you or anything here. Just curious what you think he'd be looking at for an offer in that scenario.

Like I said, Id like your way to be what happens.

Just don't see it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is this.. Detroit isn't in a position where they have to make any changes. Their cap space is actually in a VERY good place moving forward. Most of the teams cap issues came during the old labor deal when rookie draft picks were getting mega guarantees to sign.. and the Lions were busy drafting top 10 every year and blowing the picks. After the new labor deal.. the lions have been able to slowly purge those shit contracts... now the only big contracts they have on the books are Calvin's and Stafford... and the Cap keeps going up by about 10 mil a year every year... That being said... Stafford's deal is on par with what a above league average QB is going to get paid... Moving forward the Lions are going to have a ton of cap space regardless what they do with Calvin's contract.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not like Calvin Johnson is a free agent.. if the Lions want to keep him... they can as they have him under contract until 2019. After 2016 his dead money hit is only 4 mil. They could literally keep him without it really affecting their salary cap situation at all if they wanted without changing anything. I think this entire thing has been blown up by the media. The Lions don't even need to do anything. I bet they do.. but they could wait a year if they wanted. Its not like he is a complete liability or something.
You have no idea how much TPaul has been in need of a vacation.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would open market and still saving be? I'm not trying to challenge you or anything here. Just curious what you think he'd be looking at for an offer in that scenario.

Like I said, Id like your way to be what happens.

Just don't see it.
I doubt that he would get more than 15 mil a year on the open market.. and I seriously doubt there are going to be to many teams willing to go 4 yrs or more on a 30 yr old WR at that rate. The only team that has a reason to do that is the Lions. My guess is he would get a deal for 45-50 mil over 3 years on the open market with 25 mil guaranteed or something close to that.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is this.. Detroit isn't in a position where they have to make any changes. Their cap space is actually in a VERY good place moving forward. Most of the teams cap issues came during the old labor deal when rookie draft picks were getting mega guarantees to sign.. and the Lions were busy drafting top 10 every year and blowing the picks. After the new labor deal.. the lions have been able to slowly purge those shit contracts... now the only big contracts they have on the books are Calvin's and Stafford... and the Cap keeps going up by about 10 mil a year every year... That being said... Stafford's deal is on par with what a above league average QB is going to get paid... Moving forward the Lions are going to have a ton of cap space regardless what they do with Calvin's contract.
Hi, I'm Smitty.

I've been here for like a thousand days in a row....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning in for the Broncos

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The key is a new deal... not just a restructuring. Fitzgerald did a new deal last year for arizona. if the lions gave Calvin a deal for 3 years / 45 mil and guaranteed 20 mil..it would make sense for Calvin to take it as he is only has like 16 mil left guaranteed on his current deal.

He can get that from a contending team. He's in the driver seat here imo.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can get that from a contending team. He's in the driver seat here imo.
He really isn't... The Lions don't have to release him... They can easily just pay him next year under his current deal and release him next year.. and take a much smaller hit with only 4 mil in dead cap next year. The Lions will have plenty of cap space to do what ever they need without even touching that contract.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Lions needed cap space.. he might have a position. they don't... and they need him or his equal at WR next year... The media would like you to believe that he is going to get cut... but there literally is no reason to do it this year... holding him for at least 1 more season would be the smartest move if he won't redo his deal.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He really isn't... The Lions don't have to release him... They can easily just pay him next year under his current deal and release him next year.. and take a much smaller hit with only 4 mil in dead cap next year. The Lions will have plenty of cap space to do what ever they need without even touching that contract.

I swear I read this like four post back, not sure though?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear I read this like four post back, not sure though?
Probably because the two of you keep posting the same shit that isn't true.. so I keep posting the same response.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MiamiVice, you read like you know what you're talking about. I hope you're right. I think Calvin still has a few productive seasons left and I'd hate to see him spend them in another uniform.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably because the two of you keep posting the same shit that isn't true.. so I keep posting the same response.

It was a mistake, I think that's what you called it earlier. Because there is no way Miami can save 15-20 million right? At least once you do the math.

I guess sometimes we just gotta be corrected.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a mistake, I think that's what you called it earlier. Because there is no way Miami can save 15-20 million right? At least once you do the math.

I guess sometimes we just gotta be corrected.
Lol... Yeah.. I can be wrong sometimes... You got me.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You and smitty seem to have problems with people that disagree with you.. I like that. Its entertaining.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly... I have never seen people that are so quick to try to pick arguments and fights with fans of the same team... You guys take everything personal. Its kind of funny. You take this site way to serious.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kinda think you might have given TPizzle your password though.