• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: 2023 Lions regular season game thread

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did not expect James Houston to be inactive

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why you don't return punts. There's like 3 punt return TDs in the whole league per tear, and 300 penalties. It's not worth it

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see them go back to running the ball in. The two passes were frustrating - just pound it in!

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of mistakes in this one. At least they got the W. Sutton needs help. I would play Nickle the whole game and dime in obvious passing downs. The 46 defense would probably work better for us but 3 safeties on the field at all times.

We will need everything to go right next week to have a shot. Even the weather has to cooperate. That was as big a factor in the Ravens loss early this year as anything else. Goff was throwing ducks.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of mistakes in this one. At least they got the W. Sutton needs help. I would play Nickle the whole game and dime in obvious passing downs. The 46 defense would probably work better for us but 3 safeties on the field at all times.

We will need everything to go right next week to have a shot. Even the weather has to cooperate. That was as big a factor in the Ravens loss early this year as anything else. Goff was throwing ducks.
Pass D is still a concern, but Glenn continues to dial up db blitzes at the right time to generate enough drive-killing plays. I had real concerns when it looked like we lost 2 lineman, but Ragnow continues to be the toughest mother fucker in the game and that was the key swing in the game IMO. I hope his feet last long enough to give him another decade.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Ertz learn the offense in 6 days?

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The full offense? Probably not. A subset of the offense, say six plays, sure he can. He also becomes a bit of a distraction and a wild card for opposing teams to puzzle out.

It’s like getting Houston back and active for the upcoming game. After being out as long as he has, I wouldn’t expect him to be an immediate contributor on defense. Yet, he could be used for some plays to give the opposition something to think about. Does he signify blitz, or maybe they think they need to increase pass protection because of what Houston is known for.

Both of these players have a history. The question for the opposition is, do they take into account that history?

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was playing for LaPorta then he would need to. He doesn't need to learn the whole offense though. He only needs to learn the 7 plays a game that Brock Wright is in there.

And I think NFL offenses are pretty systemic these days. The play calls are long, but you have the formation first, then the blocking scheme, then the type of motion if any, and finally the route tree. Maybe not in that order but whatever. I know Ben Johnson gets a lot of credit for being innovative and calling good plays at the right time, but he didn't reinvent the wheel. Ertz might have to learn some new verbiage, but I don't think the blocking schemes or routes are going to be completely differemt than he's been doing for years. They might use different combinations of routes or blocking from different formations than he is used to, but I'm willing to bet if he hears the play call he can figure out what to do on 95% of this offense on the first day.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No Ertz. Not sure about Houston. Hopefully he can go. Need some pressure on that other side.