• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game #16 Miami Dolphins (8-6) vs NE Patriots (7-8) Sunday January 1, 2023 1:00 PM CBS

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is blocking dirty? Far as I understand that is a legal block
He could have pushed the guy out of the way. Second, whom was he blocking for? The play occurred when a linebacker picked off a pass and rean it back for a TD. Mac cut the legs of a DB at the ten yard line.

It was a dirty play. Now Mac's a target for DLs, LBs and DBs by his own making. This was the second time he's been fined for a low cut.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could have pushed the guy out of the way. Second, whom was he blocking for? The play occurred when a linebacker picked off a pass and rean it back for a TD. Mac cut the legs of a DB at the ten yard line.

It was a dirty play. Now Mac's a target for DLs, LBs and DBs by his own making. This was the second time he's been fined for a low cut.
But is it illegal? I ask because I legitimately thought that was a legal block

Mac stated he saw Thornton chasing the LB and Apple chasing the play, he threw the block in an effort to prevent Apple from slowing Thornton.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But is it illegal? I ask because I legitimately thought that was a legal block
The answer is simple. If it was legal, the NFL would not have fined him $11,139.
He got fined about $6000 for his first one and got away with one at LV.
He's got the rep with Defenses across the league now and we shouldn't be surprised to see someone take his ass out.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The answer is simple. If it was legal, the NFL would not have fined him $11,139.
He got fined about $6000 for his first one and got away with one at LV.
He's got the rep with Defenses across the league now and we shouldn't be surprised to see someone take his ass out.
So RBs can throw that block at LB and DBs, DBs can tackle WRs and TEs with that same style play and it's not illegal? That is what I am getting at seems there is a double standard with the rule.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On to the game...................

The Dolphins could be Tua=-less on Sunday. The league is investigating why he was not taken out of the game this past Sunday and was allowed to play after taking a head shot. He's in the Concussion Protocol and the Dolphins have to be extremely careful about letting him come back and possibly being hit again.

Teddy Bridewater is taking all of the first team snaps and will most likely be taking Tua's place against the Patriots.

This game opens the back door to the playoffs for the Patriots.

1. If they win, both they and the Dolphins will be 8-8.
2. The Patriots have a better conference record
3. The Bills will have to decide whether or not to play their starters against the Patriots in the final game and risk injuries.
4. The Chiefs will be going all out for the bye. BUT, big BUT, the Bills beat them and they would lose if they tie.

Hence, if the Patriots get their shit together and beat the Fins, they will have an open road to the playoffs by beating the starter-less Bills on Jan.8.

Then comes the last question. Do the Patriots really want to play a game against the Chiefs on Jan. 15 and get blown away? It would also put them in the 15th or 16th position in the draft. If they lose their last two games they could conceivably be in the top 12 in the draft. Great position to draft or trade out for a lower first round and a second round pick.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So RBs can throw that block at LB and DBs, DBs can tackle WRs and TEs with that same style play and it's not illegal? That is what I am getting at seems there is a double standard with the rule.
The rule states that no one can ""block"" at the knees or below. You can ""Tackle"" anywhere. It's not a double standard. We all thought Ward's method of tackling Grank was cheap and dirty. The league says it's legal because of the difference in size and the ability to bring down a runner.
That and the runner has to anticipate being hit from anywhere. A DB trailing a play getting taken out like Mac did is totally unnecessary as neither he or Mac was in position to alter the play because they both five yards behind Thorton who was five yards behind the LB.

IMO, Mac was frustrated and intended to make someone pay for his FU. Dirty play.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On to the game...................

The Dolphins could be Tua=-less on Sunday. The league is investigating why he was not taken out of the game this past Sunday and was allowed to play after taking a head shot. He's in the Concussion Protocol and the Dolphins have to be extremely careful about letting him come back and possibly being hit again.

Teddy Bridewater is taking all of the first team snaps and will most likely be taking Tua's place against the Patriots.

This game opens the back door to the playoffs for the Patriots.

1. If they win, both they and the Dolphins will be 8-8.
2. The Patriots have a better conference record
3. The Bills will have to decide whether or not to play their starters against the Patriots in the final game and risk injuries.
4. The Chiefs will be going all out for the bye. BUT, big BUT, the Bills beat them and they would lose if they tie.

Hence, if the Patriots get their shit together and beat the Fins, they will have an open road to the playoffs by beating the starter-less Bills on Jan.8.

Then comes the last question. Do the Patriots really want to play a game against the Chiefs on Jan. 15 and get blown away? It would also put them in the 15th or 16th position in the draft. If they lose their last two games they could conceivably be in the top 12 in the draft. Great position to draft or trade out for a lower first round and a second round pick.
Your last comment implies some form of tanking, which I hope they would never consider. I would rather win out and make the playoffs and take what is in the draft. Should we lose a very big question loom's. Do they take an OT or Michal Mayer TE ND?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rule states that no one can ""block"" at the knees or below. You can ""Tackle"" anywhere. It's not a double standard. We all thought Ward's method of tackling Grank was cheap and dirty. The league says it's legal because of the difference in size and the ability to bring down a runner.
That and the runner has to anticipate being hit from anywhere. A DB trailing a play getting taken out like Mac did is totally unnecessary as neither he or Mac was in position to alter the play because they both five yards behind Thorton who was five yards behind the LB.

IMO, Mac was frustrated and intended to make someone pay for his FU. Dirty play.
We see running backs do this all the time to rushing LBs and DBs in an effort to get to the QB. As it relates to the size of the player how the heck does the league rationalize that. If a LB did that to Thornton it would be legal because he is a defensive player yet he outweighs Thornton by 60 lbs. The size of the player rationalization makes no sense

I am not debating with you simply with the way the rules are defined by the NFL. Why this league can't write clear and precise rules boggles my mind.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not debating with you simply with the way the rules are defined by the NFL. Why this league can't write clear and precise rules boggles my mind.
I agree. Especially on "Roughing the Passer". IMO, it all depends on WHO the [passer is.

Allen, Mahomes, Hebert and Brady get some pretty petty calls while others take some nasty, unnecessary hits and are ignored.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less as far as where we draft. 12th.... 17th.... you can draft a bust at any spot. You can draft a HOF at any spot. Total crap shoot.

Play to win.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less as far as where we draft. 12th.... 17th.... you can draft a bust at any spot. You can draft a HOF at any spot. Total crap shoot.

Play to win.
I do not agree it's a total crapshoot. But you are correct about a player can be a bust or a HOF.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A block is one thing, targeting their legs is another. That's why chop blocks for instance are illegal, def a dirty play

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There you go reading minds again.

Players make mistakes in the heat of the battle.
As a pro, I have personally been there.

Players are often fined when they deserve a penalty and the refs missed it.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm giving MY guy the benefit of the doubt. Was it a dirty play? Absolutely. Was the intent by Mac to be dirty or injure? I can't read his mind but dumb actions by someone trying happens all the time. Mac is a competitive fuck and making a bad choice while being competitive happens, especially on plays where he's out of his element, especially the week after not making a great effort on a game changing play.

Most of his other dirty plays have been exaggerated by referencing actions caught with slow motion. Simple movements look different.

cheerupcharlie

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't Mac Suh Jones make that effort trying to tackle Chandler Jones of the Raiders on that final play? Maybe because he wasn't some 175lb DB? Mac is a pussy.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why didn't Mac Suh Jones make that effort trying to tackle Chandler Jones of the Raiders on that final play? Maybe because he wasn't some 175lb DB? Mac is a pussy.
I won't try to convince you that you are wrong. I see everything you have seen and but reach a different conclusion. But it's not an absolute conclusion. I see "maybe you are right" too. I hope I'm right but so what if I'm wrong. The QB position just seems like playing a game with Monte Hall and you never know what's behind any door until it's been practice tested, game tested and crisis tested.