• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Micro and Smitty on this one. Not even going to try to argue with people who believe a CB has a bigger impact on a defense than a DT.

the positions, in general, are a wash. an elite CB though has much more impact than an elite DT, in today's NFL.

an offensive line can negate a DT by doubling him, limiting his ability to effect the game. that is why Suh was 1st team all-pro, even though he only had like 40 tackles and 5.5 sacks.

an elite CB, like say Richard Sherman can completely take a team's WR out of a game.

until Detroit added Ansah and Levy developed into a quality OLB, Detroit rushing defense ranked anywhere from 16-24th in the NFL in 2010-2012. This is while having Suh and Fairley at the DT positions most of that time.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Darelle Revis, 2013.

I forgot about him. TY. Is there any other trades you can think of? The only other one I can think of is Carson Palmer and he was basically retired when Oakland made that boneheaded trade.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and Levy developed into a quality OLB
Imo he always was a quality LB. They had him play both inside and outside, but we saw what finally having a quality DE did for him. Playing behind KVB and his "high motor" made it hard to look good.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imo he always was a quality LB.

I'm not saying he was terrible. But if I'm not mistaken, he was a guy who was at or near the top of the league in missed tackles for his 1st couple years. He also struggled in coverage at times.

Last year, it all seemed to come together for him, from his tackling to his coverage, etc.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cost us a TD last year, apparently defiant with his coach, late to meetings ect.

Just speculating, but stay with me for a second. Players voted Suh dirtiest player in the league. Lions have trouble attracting FA's. There could be a connection.

Also since Suh has come to the D we've had problems with players and discipline. Again, maybe a coincidence. Maybe not.

People are quick to blame Mayhew for not bringing in FAs, players not growing ect. If the problem is as simple as noone wanting to play with Suh, or young guys seeing him act a fool and get a pass and figure they can too, then he's not worth it. Trade him for another talent who doesn't have these problems. Peterson certainly fits that bill, or see if the Browns are still looking to shop Gordon, maybe Keenen Allen to shore up our offense.

Yeah, you are definitely speculating. Players want to play for winners and not many players want to be im detroit because the city is a shithole. Suh isnt a factor. In the end most times it boils down to money though. Unfortunately the lions have to pay more to many players becaue of these two reasons.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

With Fairley, no pre-negotiated contract could be done in a draft-day trade though, right? I wouldn't think that it could happen that fast, unless both sides agreed to some type of deal before before the draft.

A draft day trade regarding a player for a pick(s), is initiated many days prior to that draft. In this case with Fairley or Suh having only 1 year left on their contract, team acquiring said player has come to "terms in principal on a new contract/extension" prior to trade as both GM's, player and his agent have mutually agreed to said deal. When considering draft day trade of pick(s), up or down, those too are normally sought out as feelers/convos prior to draft day.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, you are definitely speculating. Players want to play for winners and not many players want to be im detroit because the city is a shithole. Suh isnt a factor. In the end most times it boils down to money though. Unfortunately the lions have to pay more to many players becaue of these two reasons.

Those are definitely factors but guys also want to play with guys they like.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

You don't think this is what Detroit has done with Fairley do you?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

You don't think this is what Detroit has done with Fairley do you?

Yes I do. Mayhew not picking up Fairley's club option for his 5th yr pretty much signifies a deal is in the works, JMO. Whether said deal occurs now/draft day or just before the regular season trade deadline, I believe it will happen. Had Mayhew picked up that option, it would have been guaranteed, meaning the Lions would be on the hook for that 5.5 mil 5th yr plus this years $$, even in a trade. I posted several times in here that Mayhew has had issues with Fairley going back to mid-season 2012. Freep writer, Dave Birkett, made several comments in his weekly blogs about Fairley's continued laziness while attending dozens of practices dating back to his rookie season.

Keep in mind, should Fairley play out his final season with the Lions and sign elsewhere next year as a UFA, the best we could possibly get out him at that juncture is a 3rd round comp pick. What's better ? Let him walk next year, sign him to a 6.5-8 mil a year contract, or put out feelers now for a trade ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I forgot about him. TY. Is there any other trades you can think of? The only other one I can think of is Carson Palmer and he was basically retired when Oakland made that boneheaded trade.

Percy Harvin, same year. It's not super-common, but it does occur pretty regularly. the two teams work out a deal in principle, the new team is given permission to negotiate with the player's agent, and if an extension can be signed then the trade occurs.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting Big Blue.

It makes tons of sense to trade him now but it is possible that Mayhew simply didnt pick up the option and plans to evaluate it at seasons end. I pray he's smarter than that.

Don't you think some of the information would leak if it were true?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's interesting Big Blue.

It makes tons of sense to trade him now but it is possible that Mayhew simply didnt pick up the option and plans to evaluate it at seasons end. I pray he's smarter than that.

Don't you think some of the information would leak if it were true?[/QUOTE]

No, I do not expect any 411 to be leaked. These are usually kept under raps prior to said deal being agreed upon by all parties "in principal", meaning a physical and all contract language ironed out. Once an agreement is verbally agreed upon then and only then could Schefter/Mortenson get wind of it.

Mayhew could very well be attempting to motivate Fairley by not picking up that club option, however, that will usually come back to haunt a GM. If Fairley actually goes all out this year, plays great or even exceptional, WHY THE FUCK would you trust a kid to give him a 2nd contract if he has shown a history towards laziness ? Some team is going to think they'll be able to change his work ethic and pay him a 5 yr 40 mil contract. Coaches/GM's always think they have the right formula to make someone better, right ? If Mayhew wanted to keep him thru 2015 and relatively cheaply at 5.5 mil, don't you think he would have picked up that option versus having to possibly pay him 7-8 mil a yr over 4-5 yrs on a new contract should Fairley play lights out this year.

Think about the whole situation for a moment from it's origin. Fairley in H.S. (I saw this kid play in person whether it was FB or BB) was a 3-star prospect as an OG. He had work ethic issues then, couldn't become academically elgible even tho he had a full year to improve his grades after being offered by Auburn. He went to a JC (lots of kids fail to qualify for a major college or university) and still had difficulty meeting requirements academically there. After 2 yrs at JC, he goes to Auburn and still had to wait up until end of summer camp to get cleared by the NCAA Clearing House. There was a lot of suspect surrounding his grades/classes etc. Then HC Chizik had problems with Fairley not being in the weight room or trying to get into shape. Fairley didn't do shit his 1st year at Auburn. He had a really good year in their 2010 championship campaign but it well talked about down here in the Mobile Press Register regarding his non-motivated ways. He was a potential 1st overall pick for 2011 until the shit reared it's head at the combine. Lazy, Non-motivated, appears aloof at times while at the combine. All the above shows why he was available to us at #13. Mayhew knew this too, don't think for 1 minute he didn't.

So are you going to risk getting nothing from Fairley, outside of a possible comp pick should he leave next year, let him play this year and attempt to negotiate a new contract with him while Fairley's prolly saying to Mayhew, FU Man, you should have given me my 5th year option, I'll get paid elsewhere big time. Adios mr. douche (mayhew).

My apologies to ALL for the long winded spew.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes I do. Mayhew not picking up Fairley's club option for his 5th yr pretty much signifies a deal is in the works, JMO. Whether said deal occurs now/draft day or just before the regular season trade deadline, I believe it will happen. Had Mayhew picked up that option, it would have been guaranteed, meaning the Lions would be on the hook for that 5.5 mil 5th yr plus this years $$, even in a trade. I posted several times in here that Mayhew has had issues with Fairley going back to mid-season 2012. Freep writer, Dave Birkett, made several comments in his weekly blogs about Fairley's continued laziness while attending dozens of practices dating back to his rookie season.

Keep in mind, should Fairley play out his final season with the Lions and sign elsewhere next year as a UFA, the best we could possibly get out him at that juncture is a 3rd round comp pick. What's better ? Let him walk next year, sign him to a 6.5-8 mil a year contract, or put out feelers now for a trade ?

Either Mayhew is going to try to to trade him or the declined option is simply just to motivate him. Problem with motivating him and then signing him to a multi year trade is that if he plays big and gets a decent contract he could go right back to lazy once paid.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LionStop

Furthermore, how in the hell are the Lions going to afford Fairley after this season, assuming he plays lights-out with Staff, Suh and CJ. Sure, everyone is counting on the cap rising 8-10 mil with previous reports stating the likelihood of it "possibly rising" that much. Lewand has stated that extending Suh wasn't paramount to any signings this year whether in FA or for the draft and that people are mis-lead into thinking that there will be a tantamount of $$ available when/if Suh does sign. Lewand also stated, in a Freep report, that extensions/re-structures have to be looked at long-term as to how it fits with the teams cap 3-4 years out. Everything hinders on Suh, right now, for the future and should they extend him, you're pretty much swapping Suh's and CJ's cap hits in 2014 to 2015. Most in here forget that all these players from the last 3 years that are still with the club and hopefully remain will be coming up on their 2nd contracts. Just to give you an idea of some of the players up for UFA in 2015; (11) Suh, Fairley, Sims, LeShoure, Palmer, Hilliard, CJ Mosley, Raiola, Moore, Mulbach, C. Greenwood... Now the 2016 UFA; (13)Levy, J. Jones, Reiff, Broyles, Ihedigbo, Bentley, Whitehead, Williams, Waddle, Fauria, J. Green, T. Lewis, R. Austin,

Suh...... 2014 cap hit 22.41 mil....... 2015 cap hit ?14 mil?..... -8 mil
CJ........ 2014 cap hit 13.05 mil....... 2015 cap hit 20.5 mil...... +7 mil
Staff.... 2014 cap hit 15.85 mil........ 2015 cap hit 17.7 mil...... +2 mil
Fairley.. 2014 cap hit 3.14 mil......... 2015 cap hit ?7.0 mil?..... +4 mil (these 4 combined = +5mil)

This doesn't include multiple players receiving 100k raises and several 700k to 1+ mil raises

Tulloch.....750k raise in 2015
Quin........600k raise in 2015
Ansah......850k raise in 2015
Levy......1.25m raise in 2015
Tate......2.25m raise in 2015
Bell.......1.20m raise in 2015
Petti......1.60m raise in 2015
Reiif........360k raise in 2015......................... (these 8 combined = 7.42m in raises + above = 12=Mil)

Don't forget LG Sims being gone in 2015 and needing a replacement for him. Mayhew retain Failey with all this mentioned above ? Not to mention all these lesser draft picks gettin 80k to 150k+ raises... Like Bentley, Green, Greenwood, Slay, Fauria, Waddle etc.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either Mayhew is going to try to to trade him or the declined option is simply just to motivate him. Problem with motivating him and then signing him to a multi year trade is that if he plays big and gets a decent contract he could go right back to lazy once paid.

I stated this earlier as a possibilty.

So NO, I would not keep Fairley regardless of "maybe he plays great/exceptional this year". There's no way in hell I would take that chance of keeping him outside of there are no takers right now as a trade possibilty. When the new season begins and players become injured, those teams in need/desperate need of a DT beofre the trade deadline, Fairley's value goes way up "if he's playing great ball".

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents live in Foley, I'm living in Fairhope currently. Been back here for about a year working for the family business until I go crazy from it and move back west.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My parents live in Foley, I'm living in Fairhope currently. Been back here for about a year working for the family business until I go crazy from it and move back west.

I'm right down off Hwy 59 and Michigan ave. Near the Winn Dixie and old Blockbuster or about a mile north of the Tanger Outlet. I was born in AnnArbor, Mi. but have deep southern roots up in north bama. Muscle Shoals, Russleville, Hamilton, Hackleburg

I'm only here until May or June, hopefully, then back to Vegas where I lived for decade +

Fairhope Pirates, Foley Lions. Daphne Trojans... Those are some heated HS battles. Foley is Kenny Stabler's old HS, that drunkin bastid