• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Future Cap Planning - Trades and Releases 2015

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To move up where?

I'm confused. Are you saying Fairley and a 2nd round pick to get someone's 1st round pick?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sometimes you have to sacrifice one of your best players.

Sacrifice for what is the question I have. If it is the sacrifice, so we can get a top 5 pick to draft a WR. It would be a dumb move.

If it is to move up to draft an impact player for the defense, like a Clowney or Mack. I could see why they would do that.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, to get a first round pick. Sorry, that was confusing. Lol

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I say trade up, I'm not talking about a WR all the time.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, to get a first round pick. Sorry, that was confusing. Lol

I would trade Fairley and a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat for the chance to draft Clowney or Mack. Then use the 10th pick to draft Gilbert, Dennard, Donald, Clinton-Dix or Pryor.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a fan of any of the other 31 teams, I would think a 2nd for Fairely would be a steal.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time I say trade up, I'm not talking about a WR all the time.

I know the two guys you want first and foremost are Watkins or Evans. It is no big deal, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

I'm just saying -- if you want to use a player like Fairley or Suh in any type of deal, you are going to have to replace them and in Suh's case, you will need multiple players to replace his value.

So to answer your question -- I would trade Fairley and a 2nd round pick for a top 10 pick, IF the player being selected was Mack or Clowney. Preferrably Clowney, as he would give Detroit an elite pass rusher opposite Ansah.

If it is to select anything to do with the offense, whether it be TE, OL, WR, or anything else -- no, I wouldn't make the deal, as the defense already has multiple holes and making another hole to spend a top pick on the offense makes no sense.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was a fan of any of the other 31 teams, I would think a 2nd for Fairely would be a steal.

Unless I misunderstood his post, which is possible, as it was worded kind of confusing. I believe he is asking -- Would we be fine if Detroit traded Fairley and OUR 2nd round to get a top 10 pick this year. So basically we would keep our 10th pick AND get another top 10 pick, but lose Fairley and a 2nd rounder.

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would you trade Fairley and a 2nd to move up?

Yes, but that doesn't solve the real problem, which is this: One of Stafford, CJ, or Suh must go to keep the cap healthy. It isn't going to be the QB because that position is too difficult to replace. It isn't going to be the greatest WR ever to play the game. That leaves the DT, a position where talent can be had in free agency every year and which is relatively cheap.

I would rather bite the bullet and trade Suh, whose ability should be enticing to a rebuilding team with lots of cap space. In some ways it will be addition by subtraction as Suh seems unable to control himself on the field AND the league office now wants to James Harrison him to death.

Taking Watkins at 5 and then the best DT available at 10 would weaken the defense, but make the offense the Greatest Show on Turf II. It'll be fun to win 38-31 all year long.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taking Watkins at 5 and then the best DT available at 10 would weaken the defense, but make the offense the Greatest Show on Turf II. It'll be fun to win 38-31 all year long.

If Detroit trades away a piece on defense and their 2nd round pick to draft a WR, they might as well use the 10th pick on Eric Ebron and just try to win every game 63-60. We can go Arena Football on the NFL.

They should then go out and trade for whatever kicker has the best % of onside kicks recovered and just do an onside kick every time. They would probably fare better doing this.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know the two guys you want first and foremost are Watkins or Evans. It is no big deal, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.

Tampa trading Williams to Buffalo all but tells me Evans at #7. With out trading up. May not be no WR at #10 anyway.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Detroit was planning on trading Fairley -- they would have picked up the team option for 2015, so he would have two years left on his deal for the team he would be traded to.

In reality -- neither Suh or Fairley will be traded. Suh isn't going to be dealt, because he is a FA after this season and the package to get him from Detroit would have to be big and it would have to be draft picks, as Detroit had a 19 million dollar cap hit, whether they keep Suh or trade him, because of all the restructuring.

Fairley isn't being dealt because, once again, Detroit wouldn't get any value out of dealing him. He is in the last year of his contract and no team is going to deal away any type of talent to get a player on the last year of his deal, especially for a player who is so hit or miss.

It's common practice when trading a player who is on their last yr of a contract to come to terms in principal on a new contract/extension prior to said trade. So, your point isn't valid. I'm strictly talking about Fairley for a draft pick(s) for this year and possibly next year also. It would be stupid for Mayhew to gamble on Fairley playing hard this year to earn a new contract that would possibly require 6.5-8 mil avg. per yr. on a new contract in 2015 and beyond, then to return to his non-motivated ways. I watched this kid play, in person, as a high school (Williamson or Blount h.s. cannot remember) and college player, having lived just across the bay from mobile for more than a decade. He has the same work ethic now as he did in high school. Other teams knowing his lack of work ethic may very well bring down his value. If Mayhew lets him walk after this season, the most the Lions could get in return for Fairley would be a 3rd round comp pick in 2016 for him signing with another team in 2015 FA. Get a 2nd rd. draft pick in 2014 and conditional 3rd/4th round draft pick in 2015 or ride the wave with him in 2014 regular season and likely have to pay him what I mentioned above per year. I'll take this years draft pick of a 2nd rounder for trading Fairley and go get Donald at #10, JMO.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa trading Williams to Buffalo all but tells me Evans at #7. With out trading up. May not be no WR at #10 anyway.

yep. LP and I were discussing that earlier.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's common practice when trading a player who is on their last yr of a contract to come to terms in principal on a new contract/extension prior to said trade.

Maybe I've been missing these type of deals going on. When is the last time a team traded away a 1st round for a player in the last year of his contract?

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with Micro and Smitty on this one. Not even going to try to argue with people who believe a CB has a bigger impact on a defense than a DT.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team and Suh are obviously far apart on a deal, and if so, the team should be on the horn right now with every team in the top 15. If the teams wants to continue to kill themselves by holding on to Suh, then they must trade Fairley for a draft pick.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evans has become a attractive player for Tampa but they have a few needs at pass rushers, OT and CB. It probably depends on who's available when they pick. Plus, we all know the draft is deep with WRs.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Blue,

With Fairley, no pre-negotiated contract could be done in a draft-day trade though, right? I wouldn't think that it could happen that fast, unless both sides agreed to some type of deal before before the draft.