• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Cap Review Athletic

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They listed the Kings 30th on CAP space.

30. Los Angeles Kings​

2022-23 salaries: $78,061,667
RFAs estimate: $6.582 (not including Adrian Kempe’s extension)
Dead money deals: Dion Phaneuf buyout ($1,062,500), Mike Richards ($900,00), Austin Wagner ($8,333)
Notable unsigned UFAs: Alex Edler, Olli Maatta, Troy Stecher
Problem contract: Drew Doughty

Projected cap space: -$1,435,792

I’m not sure any team has a more interesting RFA group than the Kings. Adrian Kempe broke out for a 35-goal last season, and he’s still only 25. Evolving Hockey’s cap hit prediction was $6 million for five years. His actual deal ($5.5 million AAV) was close. Like Kempe, defenseman Sean Durzi is coming off the best season of his career and has arbitration rights. If Kings GM Rob Blake can get Durzi and fellow defenseman Mikey Anderson each signed to two-year bridge deals worth a total of $5 million or so, it’ll be a tidy bit of work.

Those three should be Blake’s priorities, but other young Kings (Gabe Vilardi) are up for new RFA deals. It’s easy to see the vast majority of LA’s remaining cap space getting split among them all. Consider the lineup turned over; their projected cap issues will be alleviated whenever they decide who is on the NHL roster.”

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Ducks are in a weird spot $10mil under the minimum with 4 open spots.
I thought they were going to sign someone big.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They jettisoned out quite a few players, and Getzlaf retiring has freed up a ton of money.

They didn't tender MQOs to Milano and Steel, Steel I'm not surprised about because he is a former 1st round pick who just can't seem to put it all together but Milano was a surprise because of his chemistry with Zegras and they have to hit the cap floor. Apparently the underlying analytics on him are not good, he can't produce on his own and Zegras does the driving with him on that line. Still surprised to see another of their 1st round picks on the open market, he could be a cheap supporting winger somewhere with his speed and skill.

Verbeek definitely us putting his mark on the team and moving Barstool Bob's picks, they are going for full tank mode. Signing Strome and Vantrano are good deals but still have to spend a bunch. There will be overpays foe whatever is left on the market but they're going to be a losing team again, hard to attract players.

As for LA, crazy how a year ago Bowlby had all this cap space ans a year later they are close to the cap. I 2as hoping they'd address that LHD slot, but it looks like someone will be moved to make that happen. Walker's name has been coming up but coming off ACL and MCL surgery, not playing in basically a year and not knowing how he will perform after the surgeries, I don't see a market for him just yet.

I actually like the guy and hope the Kings keep him but that RHD position is just so overloaded.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sort of feel like Iafallo might be the odd man out and a nice trade piece if they want to fill a void on D. He doesn't crack the top 6 and I like the kid line for 3rd line and there be another kid that steps up as well. That makes for an expensive 4th liner that is probably deserving of a little more ice time.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He definitely came to mind too, that's a lot of money for a B6 player. He may be a jack of all trades here but on a contending team he would be a depth player.

Two issues I see though are he has a lot of term left at a $4 million hit for 3 more years including 2022-23, making him a hard sell for what he brings and also his play with Kopitar. Kopitar is a very unique player, not a lot of players have been able to adjust to his style of play for whatever reason - only Williams, Gaborik, Brown and maybe Kempe (not enough data being his breakout year) come to mind over the laat 15-17 years - so if Fiala can't adjust to him on L1 Iafallo always seems to move up and down the lineup and plays his role well with Kopitar. I wish he produced more playing with him, especially at that cap number, but it is what it is. And this is hoping Kempe has arrived and isn't just a blip playing on that line. That would be a whole other issue in itself, just because guys gelled one year doesn't mean it'll be replicated the following year.

Detroit is making a lot of moves, all signaling they are ready to turn the corner. They have space, and a guy like Iafallo would be a great veteran influence on a young team like that. If Blake can even get a 3rd round pick for him and moves that contract out I'd consider that a win.

He rewarded hard work and loyalty, but that 4 year/$16 million deal is not aging well and is a bit of a problem now.

Last edited:

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings didn’t make any changes to get better other than the young guys are are year older. However, so are the old guys. The biggest change is Brown is gone. Sure that frees up a spot but for whom?
Besides an LHD the next thing is a goalie.. Quick’s deal ends next year and Petersen is already being paid but hasn’t stepped up.
If Quick stays it has to be a big pay cut.

Preseason prediction from me is Kings will be a bubble team again: wild card or just out.

xis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings didn’t make any changes to get better other than the young guys are are year older. However, so are the old guys. The biggest change is Brown is gone. Sure that frees up a spot but for whom?
Besides an LHD the next thing is a goalie.. Quick’s deal ends next year and Petersen is already being paid but hasn’t stepped up.

Preseason prediction from me is Kings will be a bubble team again: wild card or just out.
While I agree with you on the need for an LHD and can even see goaltending needing to be shored up a bit too, I do think that Fiala is an upgrade over Brown. I still don't think Blake is done. So far, this year he's done a good job. He'll need to pry another player to fill that LHD spot and if it's even a decent stay at home LD then I'd give him an A this offseason.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brown's roster spot was replaced by Fiala, the dollars are almost identical too. However it's a better potential ROI because Fiala is about 10-11 years younger and brings much needed speed and skill into that T6. I'm almost positive he won't hit 33 goals/85 points again but even if he pops in 25/60-65 I'd consider that good value.

The Kings haven't had a goal scorer like him since Gaborik, I have no problem with this trade at all especially considering they didn't lose a roster player and gave up a 1st in a weak draft. Fiala's criticals are moodiness when he doesn't score which can affect his play, hopefully being around some veterans will help him grow in that sense.

As good as the Kings were defensively their offense has been on rinse and repeat for the better part of 10+ years - they just can't score goals at a decent clip. So Blake addressed that need and didn't hurt the roster in the process.

The LHD and size issues have dragged out for some time, and I think unless they completely tank by December that will be addressed at the TDL. The Kings have way too many prospects and some have diminished in value (The Legend and Turcotte to be specific) so I expect those to be flipped for that LHD need.

Petersen is a question mark for sure, he regressed last season but this carries over to the end of 2020-21 as well, he was giving up softies left and right. I expected him to take a step this season to justify that contract, he has to show he was worth paying a starters salary. Quick played very well overall this season but at his age and injury history that's suspect as well. Bottom line, Petersen needs to earn and keep that status throughout the year. I don't believe Quick wants to go anywhere else and will finish out his career on a short term low dollar deal.

I'm with you, they overachieved last season, they were a year early from my predictions. Now there's added pressure, improved teams. I'm also thinking WC or out.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of possible trades.

Tkachuck wants out of Calgary.