• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Addition

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks a lot. Super excited about our free agency so far.....Eric Weddle would be perfect for our safety position.
He'd look good with a Star on his hat too

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didnt either but here is another one suggesting we could be? Would like this guy at $5 mill a year

Report: Eric Weddle has offers from four teams, will respond by Monday
By Sean Wagner-McGough | Staff Writer

March 12, 2016 1:10 pm ET

Despite being 31 years old, Eric Weddle might just be the best free agent left on the market.

See where Pete Prisco's Top 50 names go

In his career, he's recorded 19 interceptions, he's been voted First-Team All-Pro twice, and he's a three-time Pro Bowler. Entering free agency, CBS Sports' Pete Priscovalued him as the fifth-best player available, while Pro Football Focus rated him as the fourth-best player.

Yet days after most top players signed with their respective new clubs, Weddle remains unsigned. His current status, however, isn't due to a lack of interest.

According to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport, Weddle has offers from four teams and he'll be responding to those offers on Monday. Here's more from Rapoport:

Rapoport didn't say which four teams offered Weddle a contract, but we may be able to piece that together. As CBS Sports NFL Insider Jason La Canfora reported, the Ravens, Cowboys, and Steelers are all interested in Weddle's services.

Here's the fourth team that could be interested: the Raiders.

Bruce Irvin is certainly doing his best to recruit him. Though, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, Smith is on the Raiders' "back-burner."

So, Weddle clearly has options. And, as La Canfora reported earlier this week, he'll take his time deciding on his next team. At this point in his career, it wouldn't be unreasonable to suggest that Weddle is just looking for the situation that has the best chance to lead to a Super Bowl. But, as Rapoport included in his report, Weddle will be taking his family into consideration as well.

Given his age, negotiations might prove to be tricky, as teams probably won't want to overextend and tie themselves to an aging player for the long-term. On the other hand, if any of those four teams feel as if they're on the cusp of playoff success, they also might feel like the addition of a piece like Weddle will put them over the top. La Canfora also reports that those interested view the safety in the range of $5 million per year.

Buckle in. The hunt for free agency's best remaining player is just getting started.

View attachment 97239
Eric Weddle reportedly has offers from four teams. (USATSI)
At $5M per I'm all over Weddle. I was thinking he'd get more than that. If you have to go 4 years at $20M and regret the 4th year it's not horrible and well worth the risk IMO. Still guessing he averages more than that. Will take 6 and maybe 7 per year IMO

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted they were re-signing Hannah yesterday, in a response to GG's post about a TE
Moat know I can and will be an ass. I was just pointing that while GNG said Hanna WILL be resigned this morning he was in fact resigned yesterday.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moat know I can and will be an ass. I was just pointing that while GNG said Hanna WILL be resigned this morning he was in fact resigned yesterday.

HAHA! yeah i was a little slow on the uptake there, I should have recognized the cynicism ass i am about as sarcastic as it gets

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dashon Goldson anyone? I wanted this guy a few years ago, but he isn't anything special these days. I don't have a link, but I think it was Jerry the other day who said they would like to bring in another Safety, possibly Goldson, so they can move Byron Jones to CB full time. I swear this team just doesn't get it when it comes to understanding the need for good Safety play.

Just reading the tea leaves, but maybe this is foreshadowing a pick along the Dline at #4. Or maybe QB?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dashon Goldson anyone? I wanted this guy a few years ago, but he isn't anything special these days. I don't have a link, but I think it was Jerry the other day who said they would like to bring in another Safety, possibly Goldson, so they can move Byron Jones to CB full time. I swear this team just doesn't get it when it comes to understanding the need for good Safety play.

Just reading the tea leaves, but maybe this is foreshadowing a pick along the Dline at #4. Or maybe QB?
Me too, but he was HORRIBLE last year and it's been a while since he was decent at all. Plus he is in his 30's.
Found this:
Cowboys 2016 Free Agency: Dallas Bringing In Dashon Goldson For A Safety Look

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rand Getlin of NFL Media reports that the Cowboys are working towards an agreement with DE Benson Mayowa.

The Raiders elected to use a low-round tender on Mayowa a few weeks ago.

The low-round tender would cost the Raiders $1,671,000 for the 2016 season and give them the right of first refusal on any contract offer they receive. However, if they elect to not match an offer sheet, Oakland would not receive any compensation for him.

Mayowa, 25, wound up signing on with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent out of Idaho back in 2013. He lasted over a year in Seattle before he was waived at the start of the 2014 season and later claimed off of waivers by the Raiders.

In 2015, Mayowa appeared in 12 games for the Raiders and recorded 16 tackles, one sack, a forced fumble, two recoveries and a safety.

Another for the rotation?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rand Getlin of NFL Media reports that the Cowboys are working towards an agreement with DE Benson Mayowa.

The Raiders elected to use a low-round tender on Mayowa a few weeks ago.

The low-round tender would cost the Raiders $1,671,000 for the 2016 season and give them the right of first refusal on any contract offer they receive. However, if they elect to not match an offer sheet, Oakland would not receive any compensation for him.

Mayowa, 25, wound up signing on with the Seahawks as an undrafted free agent out of Idaho back in 2013. He lasted over a year in Seattle before he was waived at the start of the 2014 season and later claimed off of waivers by the Raiders.

In 2015, Mayowa appeared in 12 games for the Raiders and recorded 16 tackles, one sack, a forced fumble, two recoveries and a safety.

Another for the rotation?
Honestly I don't think his name even sounds familiar to me so I can't even comment. But going by what you wrote, yeah looks like a rotation guy. Also wonder if it is a guy we ultimately don't even have room for once Gregory comes back if we end up hitting on a couple of DEs in the draft or UDFAs. I guess they have reason to believe he is better than some of what we already have here or they wouldn't be bringing him in (if they really are).

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't think his name even sounds familiar to me so I can't even comment. But going by what you wrote, yeah looks like a rotation guy. Also wonder if it is a guy we ultimately don't even have room for once Gregory comes back if we end up hitting on a couple of DEs in the draft or UDFAs. I guess they have reason to believe he is better than some of what we already have here or they wouldn't be bringing him in (if they really are).
The thing that gives me hope for this move is our outstanding scouting department. The David Irving move last year was kind of under the radar, but I expect him to have a major role this year

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that gives me hope for this move is our outstanding scouting department. The David Irving move last year was kind of under the radar, but I expect him to have a major role this year

I tend to agree. I have no issue with this move and view it more of a bringing in a guy to compete move, which I like. My point is more looking at the final 53 man roster and figuring out how many DEs will be on it, does he fit? And If guys we have been bringing in lately that we want to give credit to the scouts for being so good about have such a chance at a bright future here (Irving, J Crawford, Russell, etc) is there room for everyone?

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree. I have no issue with this move and view it more of a bringing in a guy to compete move, which I like. My point is more looking at the final 53 man roster and figuring out how many DEs will be on it, does he fit? And If guys we have been bringing in lately that we want to give credit to the scouts for being so good about have such a chance at a bright future here (Irving, J Crawford, Russell, etc) is there room for everyone?
I'll be very interested in who we take at 4. With the way FA has gone, unless Ramsey is there, it almost has to be DE or WB. I think Bosa is a better scheme fit, but Buckner is a superior talent. I'm anxious to see how the Cowboys view it

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be very interested in who we take at 4. With the way FA has gone, unless Ramsey is there, it almost has to be DE or WB. I think Bosa is a better scheme fit, but Buckner is a superior talent. I'm anxious to see how the Cowboys view it
I'm fairly certain Dallas will land a solid football player at 4 and like you, intrigued with what this team is thinking

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested in who we end up with as well. As long as we get a guy that helps us, then I don't care who it is.

One of the reasons to try to strengthen your biggest holes through FA is it allows you to draft how you are supposed to - best player. If we force a pick as high as #4 in the draft because of a need and end up passing on a player we thought was much more talented then we deserve to live with it for the next 5 - 10 years...

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am interested in who we end up with as well. As long as we get a guy that helps us, then I don't care who it is.

One of the reasons to try to strengthen your biggest holes through FA is it allows you to draft how you are supposed to - best player. If we force a pick as high as #4 in the draft because of a need and end up passing on a player we thought was much more talented then we deserve to live with it for the next 5 - 10 years...
Nail on the head. That's why if we were to land a DE starter in FA, I would take(I know I'm the only one) Elliott from OSU. I think he would be awesome here