• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Addition

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Looney - G - Cowboys
Cowboys signed G/C Joe Looney, formerly of the Titans, to a two-year contract.

Looney is a reserve who has always struggled when pressed into starting duty. He'll have to be excellent in camp to claim the final bench spot along the Cowboys' dominant offensive line.
Related: Titans

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Looney - G - Cowboys
Cowboys signed G/C Joe Looney, formerly of the Titans, to a two-year contract.

Looney is a reserve who has always struggled when pressed into starting duty. He'll have to be excellent in camp to claim the final bench spot along the Cowboys' dominant offensive line.
Related: Titans
Cheap contract???? Camp body/roster hopeful????

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cheap contract???? Camp body/roster hopeful????
I've heard of the guy, but have no clue what kind of player he is. Looks like he could be a depth or "in case of injury" guy, but who knows. I'm just waiting for someone to say how good a signing it is. Probably Jerry...

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've heard of the guy, but have no clue what kind of player he is. Looks like he could be a depth or "in case of injury" guy, but who knows. I'm just waiting for someone to say how good a signing it is. Probably Jerry...

Well Jerry has never signed a bad player. As for Loney I have nothing. Will have to take the wait and see approach

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Purely depth it appears

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back up center.
Center? Like the prospects for him better if he can play center. I thought he was a Guard with Tenn? Like I said, I really don't know too much about him. We lost MB who filled the reserve G/C spot well. We will have Leary (and Brown) as our top backup at Guard or starter if Collins kicks out to T. So having another guy in the stable is always good to me and gives us the competition Garrett craves. We always seem to come out of the draft and UDFA with a couple OL we like too. Plus we have a couple guys that ended the year on the PS who may compete. OL for us is all about depth and injuries. 4 Starters are immovable and Free likely will hold onto the spot for another year. But would love to see Green step up and push him for the job.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw this on DC.com if anyone wants a little analysis of him:

Scouting Report: Looney Excels More At Guard, But Can Also Play Center
Scouting Report: Looney Excels More At Guard, But Can Also Play Center
Tuesday, March 29, 2016 5:29 PM CDT

Name: Joe Looney
Position: OG/C
College: Wake Forest
Height: 6-3
Weight: 309
Draft: 117th overall by San Francisco, 2012

Games Studied: 2015 Tennessee vs. Carolina, Jacksonville; 2014 San Francisco vs. Seattle

Report: Looney is a similar type of player in what they had in Mackenzy Bernadeau, given his athletic ability and position flexibility. He has lined up at center and guard during his NFL career. Belly-to-belly blocker that likes to get tight to his man in order to control him.

One knock against him is that he tends to play upright and a little stiff. There’s not much knee bend or flex. He plays with a wide base when it comes to pass protection. He plays with some upper body power and strength, and this allows him to hold his man in place. He also shows some punch and power in his hands.

When Looney gets his hands inside, he can be tough to disengage from in this position. There are snaps where his hands get outside the frame of the defender and it will put him in a terrible blocking position. Like Bernadeau, he’s not the smoothest athlete when it comes to getting to the second level. He’s often out of balance and left trying to adjust in space. If he gets close to his man, he has enough power to push him past the play. He can position block all day when he’s one-on-one and he can keep the defender tight.

One thing I’ll say for him is that he has really nice awareness to help in the pocket when he is uncovered. As a center, he showed more initial quickness but had his troubles when he had to execute back blocks. Against Seattle in 2014, the opposing defensive linemen were just too fast up the field for him to get in front. He was beaten badly to his off-hand side for a penetration. However, he was aware to adjust to the blitz. He wasn’t fooled by the game upfront and was able to make the correct read.

Bottom line: this is a limited athlete that plays with power and smarts. I liked him better as a guard than center but the fact that he can do both helps this team’s situation.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pizz upon him give me the center from Missouri Evan Boehm or Ryan Kelly if he is there late 4th or Martin from Notre Dame of he is there late all good back ups for our OL

Thank God after a desert for years

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part time starter, I thought he was pretty good when he was with the Niners. Quality depth

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd Archer reports that the Cowboys have agreed to a one-year contract with DE Jack Crawford.

• Clarence Hill confirms that the agreement between the Cowboys and Crawford is signed.
———

David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Cowboys are in final stages of deal to retain DL Jack Crawford.

• Clarence Hill reports that Crawford receives a one-year contract from the Cowboys.
Crawford took a few visits with the Jets and Steelers, but it appears as though his best option is to return to Dallas and continue his career with the Cowboys.

Crawford, 27, is a former fifth-round pick of the Raiders back in 2012. He spent just two years in Oakland before he was waived at the start of the 2014 season.

The Cowboys later signed him to a contract and was testing the open market as an unrestricted free agent.

In 2015, Crawford appeared in all 16 games for the Cowboys and recorded 21 tackles and four sacks. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 119 interior defensive lineman out of 123 qualifying players.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Todd Archer reports that the Cowboys have agreed to a one-year contract with DE Jack Crawford.

• Clarence Hill confirms that the agreement between the Cowboys and Crawford is signed.
———

David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports that the Cowboys are in final stages of deal to retain DL Jack Crawford.

• Clarence Hill reports that Crawford receives a one-year contract from the Cowboys.
Crawford took a few visits with the Jets and Steelers, but it appears as though his best option is to return to Dallas and continue his career with the Cowboys.

Crawford, 27, is a former fifth-round pick of the Raiders back in 2012. He spent just two years in Oakland before he was waived at the start of the 2014 season.

The Cowboys later signed him to a contract and was testing the open market as an unrestricted free agent.

In 2015, Crawford appeared in all 16 games for the Cowboys and recorded 21 tackles and four sacks. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 119 interior defensive lineman out of 123 qualifying players.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

———

Good signing. Perfect bottom of the roster guy to fight for PT. I like Crawford and I like his flexibility. The only thing is the details...if we really hit on a few draft picks and UDFAs someone needs to be cut. For that reason I hope this comes with not too much guaranteed $ even though I think Crawford will win a job. I was concerned we were going to lose him when he was out visiting other teams and the Cowboys signed Mayowa (or whatever his name is). One of our DL is likely only to be ion the roster for 4 games.

I'm guessing his rating was due to not many snaps and not poor production per snap. Although I've never agreed with those PFF rankings any way

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Crawford will improve this year. He seemed to be getting better last year. Glad he stayed.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Crawford will improve this year. He seemed to be getting better last year. Glad he stayed.
He needs to get a lot better against the run if he wants to get a lot of PT but agree. Hope he makes the final roster

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He needs to get a lot better against the run if he wants to get a lot of PT but agree. Hope he makes the final roster
I agree he is not there yet. But I saw enough improvement last year to want him to stay.