• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Addition

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What to do and how to do it?

The Cowboys will be roughly $13 million under the 2016 cap once it is set, which puts them in the bottom third in the league. So why did I rate them among the teams with average cap flexibility? With the swipe of a pen, the Cowboys can have as much as $34-35 million in space. Dallas will be able to restructure the contracts of Tyron Smith and Tyrone Crawford, which could create nearly $12 million in room. Cutting Brandon Carr would result in as little as $6.4 million or as much as $9.1 million in savings depending on the route they go. What Dallas almost assuredly won't do is restructure the contracts of Dez Bryant and Tony Romo. When free agency begins the Cowboys will be able to do whatever they want to do. They will not be hamstrung by the cap. -- Todd Archer

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great cap news in what seems like in forever.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only guy I restructure is Smith. Crawford after last year I wouldn't push money out into future years. I think one "big" FA signing and then a couple filler type guys. Also look for a big contract for Frederick which will eat up a lot of that space.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only guy I restructure is Smith. Crawford after last year I wouldn't push money out into future years. I think one "big" FA signing and then a couple filler type guys. Also look for a big contract for Frederick which will eat up a lot of that space.

don't see the "big" FA signing unless you are talking 3-5M as big

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys will have money but I expect "Thrift" store shopping not ordering from the Nieman Marcus Christmas catalog

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A "bigger" type free agent will be nice followed by fill in guys. In all honesty 2 guys our team sorely missed last year were Henry Melton and Bruce Carter. Neither of those guys are superstars but their absence was greatly noticeable. Would love to big up a few reliable guys to rotate in and out.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have not even decided what surgery Romo needs. They are still looking at X-rays.
So it's March surgery on a bone that at 100% could stand up to today's NFL.

What do you think plan is going to be for opposing defenses come September? It will be send everybody
..the one thing the the Cowboys never seem ready for.

It kills me to say it but the chances of Romo getting through the season is 50-50. Everybody is talking about finding Romo's successor ..as in clip board holder, "a project"

How has that ship not sailed? We are well past that now. The point is we need a real starter right fucking now. Otherwise we will be sailing right into 2015 part 2.

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just say no to Murray, think his best days are behind him. JG basically said to the fan base song expect any splash signings In free agency.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have not even decided what surgery Romo needs. They are still looking at X-rays.
So it's March surgery on a bone that at 100% could stand up to today's NFL.

What do you think plan is going to be for opposing defenses come September? It will be send everybody
..the one thing the the Cowboys never seem ready for.

It kills me to say it but the chances of Romo getting through the season is 50-50. Everybody is talking about finding Romo's successor ..as in clip board holder, "a project"

How has that ship not sailed? We are well past that now. The point is we need a real starter right fucking now. Otherwise we will be sailing right into 2015 part 2.

I have been making that argument for a while now. Why do others don't see this?

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dallas should look to cut Church as well. He isn't very productive, and with Wilcox on the roster Church is redundant. That move would save Dallas 4.25 million (I think), with no dead money. Re-invest that money into an upgrade at the position, like Eric Weddle. I also wouldn't mind seeing Dallas go after Danny Traveython(sp?), LB from Denver - although I have no idea what his price tag is going to be.

Agree that the only contract that should be restructured is Tyron Smith's. That deal was always supposed to be restructured, and is the only one it makes sense to touch. Leave Crawford alone. A new deal for Frederick would mean a small cap hit this year for signing bonus, and then going forward the cost can be mitigated to a certain extent with dead money coming off the books in future years - so long as Dallas doesn't add dead money in coming years.

It's time for Carr to go, as well. I think Dallas can make upwards of 25-30 million in cap space this off season with only restructuring Smith, cutting Carr, cutting Church and a few other minor moves. We should be able to make a a couple quality mid level acquisitions to go along with various filler type moves. Not saying that the team will spend all that money this off season, but it should be available if they so choose.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Cowboys need to be as shrewd as possible with free agent signings. They need to make the kind of free agent acquisitions that the Broncos have made in the past few years. The Broncos made shrewd acquisitions while not spending a ton of money on players at a premium position like Ware, Chris Harris, Emmanuel Sanders, and Talib. All four of those players make peanuts compared to what they are truly worth. Carr made 10 million a year for the Cowboys. None of those players but Talib are even close to 10 million a year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Stephen has already stated the Cowboys won't be major players in FA. I'd expect them to sign maybe a DE(Adrian Claiborne?) Veteran QB(Colt McCoy) and maybe low risk CB so that they can feel free to take their top rated players each round of the dradt

Eastbay

We Dem Boyz!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pacman.....I hope not.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been there, done that. Pac Man isn't coming here...

Don't be so sure, JJ has done crazier things!

Report: Cowboys likely to cut Brandon Carr, Pacman a potential option

By Will Brinson | NFL Writer

March 2, 2016 8:12 am ET

Several years ago, the Cowboys made a pair of bold moves to fix their secondary. Dallas used millions of dollars to sign Brandon Carr in free agency and used a second-round pick to move up and acquire Morris Claiborne in the draft. Neither move worked out real well.

Claiborne is a free agent in a week and Carr apparently won't be far behind (or might be ahead) because, according to Charles Robinson of Yahoo! Sports, the Cowboys are preparing to cut the expensive cornerback.

Carr is going to cost the Cowboys a whopping $13.8 million in cap space for 2016, which puts him in the neighborhood of the most expensive corners in the league. (Josh Normanand Trumaine Johnson, franchise tagged by the Panthers and Rams, respectively, will make $13.9 million next year.)

Cutting Carr would generate $6.38 million in cap space before June 1 and $9.1 million if he was a post-June 1 cut.

So who are the Cowboys going to find to replace him? How about a familiar face in Adam Jones.

640AdamJones091615.jpg
Would Jones even consider wearing black and gold? (USATSI)

According to Robinson, there's interest in Jones returning to Dallas if he doesn't end up sticking with the Bengals. Jones returned from a season-long suspension in 2007 to play for the Cowboys in 2008, his lone season with the Texas club.

Jones is 32 and coming off a strong season with the Bengals but didn't exactly end the season well, with Jones exploding on the field against the Steelers and helping Cincy meltdown in what would have -- and should have -- been Marvin Lewis' first playoff win.

The irony of all that is Jones would be interested in playing for the Steelers next year.

"I wouldn't say I wouldn't play for the Steelers," Jones said Tuesday. "I don't have no problem with the Steelers but that would be hard for me to do that, though. I would prefer to play [for] a team that plays against the Steelers."

Good luck getting Pittsburgh to reciprocate it.

There will be a market for Jones, though, and it sounds like the Cowboys will be heavily involved.