• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agent Addition

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets are going to struggle to fit a starting QB under their cap. Wonder if the asking price for Wilkerson is dropping. Give up our 2nd, cut Carr with a post 6/1 designation, restructure Smith and make an offer??? Would be our best DL and change our entire defense.
I would be winning to give the Jet's #4 overall for Wilkerson and #20 overall. The Jets's would be moving up 14 spots, which value wise would be a 2nd rounder. I think that could be beneficial for both teams. The Jets could draft Goff at #4, the Cowboys would gain a dominant DT and still have #20 and a high 2nd fill holes

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see the Jets doing that deal. If just swapping first rounders, it would likely cost us our 3rd pick too. If he were to be tendered as a restricted FA, he would likely cost two firsts. If the Jets really wanted to move him, they would set the price at a first and a third. Swapping firsts is worth a back-end first rounder. Then we'd likely have to pony up something else. But then looking ahead, we have to deal with fitting him under our cap. This is not the Jets' problem -its ours. No doubt the Jets could get that kind of offer from a team with more cap room. I don't think it would benefit us long term by doing that deal.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't see the Jets doing that deal. If just swapping first rounders, it would likely cost us our 3rd pick too. If he were to be tendered as a restricted FA, he would likely cost two firsts. If the Jets really wanted to move him, they would set the price at a first and a third. Swapping firsts is worth a back-end first rounder. Then we'd likely have to pony up something else. But then looking ahead, we have to deal with fitting him under our cap. This is not the Jets' problem -its ours. No doubt the Jets could get that kind of offer from a team with more cap room. I don't think it would benefit us long term by doing that deal.
The Jets are talking about Kaepernick if they can't get a deal done with Fitzpatrick. If the Jets see Goff as a franchise QB, I think they would consider it. Look at it this way, if the Jets called and offered the Cowboys #20 overall and their 2nd rounder for #4, I think the Cowboys turn that down. I can't see them trading down past 11 or 12 for a 1st and a 2nd. This way, the Jets would get their QB and keep their 2nd rounder. If they don't think they can afford to keep Wilkerson long term, I think it might make sense for them

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be winning to give the Jet's #4 overall for Wilkerson and #20 overall. The Jets's would be moving up 14 spots, which value wise would be a 2nd rounder. I think that could be beneficial for both teams. The Jets could draft Goff at #4, the Cowboys would gain a dominant DT and still have #20 and a high 2nd fill holes
I think moving up from #20 to #4 costs you (value wise) a lot more than their 2nd rounder

I'm not giving up that #4 pick for a guy I have to pay $100M to. For the 2nd rounder I likely do it, but not that first pick.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think moving up from #20 to #4 costs you (value wise) a lot more than their 2nd rounder

I'm not giving up that #4 pick for a guy I have to pay $100M to. For the 2nd rounder I likely do it, but not that first pick.
Even if we got their #20 coming back? I think it's at least interesting, in that Husker thought the Jets wouldn't do the deal, and you think the Cowboys shouldn't give up the #4. I'm not saying either of you are wrong at all, just spit balling. I do agree with you that the money you would have to pay Wilkerson would be an issue, but he is a guy that would be worth what he makes, and it never hurts your team to pay guys that are worth their money IMO

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scouting Report: Thornton Brings Versatility, Power To Dallas D-Line
Friday, March 11, 2016 10:04 AM CST

Name: Cedric Thornton
Position: DT
College: Southern Arkansas
Height: 6-4
Weight: 309
Draft: Undrafted in 2011

Games Studied: 2015 vs. Dallas, Miami, Carolina

Report: Thornton lined up as a defensive end in Philadelphia’s 3-4 scheme, but he should project as a one or three-technique defensive tackle for the Cowboys.

There are snaps where you see him playing reduced down inside, over the guard. He has nice short area quickness and plays with a burst. When he hits the gap, he can go. He plays well laterally – an important trait for a one-tech – and he will work down the line and chase the ball.

This is not the type of player that is going to stand around and allow the grass to die under his feet. He plays on the move, and he does a good job of fighting off the block. Against Dallas last year, he was snatched one time by Travis Frederick before he knew it and was taken out of the play.

One thing you notice from Thornton is he has upper body power and strength. I was impressed with the way that he was able to walk Zack Martin back on a couple of different pass rushes. He doesn’t have many pass rush moves – it’s more about initial quickness and power. He can put the blocker in a bad position and he can get push. You’ll see him spin to try and free himself, and he strikes with his hands. When he does that, you will see him jolt blockers.

Bottom line: Thornton can get off blocks and work his way to the ball. He can anchor down at the point, and he will hold up double-team blocks. He did not appear to have problems finding the ball. When in position, he can finish.

If there is a trait that bothered me in watching him play, it had to be there were snaps where he played out of balance. He wasn’t on the ground much, but I thought he could have done a better job of staying square and playing on his feet. I can see him being the starter as the one-technique and backing up Tyrone Crawford as the three when needed.

Read

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if we got their #20 coming back? I think it's at least interesting, in that Husker thought the Jets wouldn't do the deal, and you think the Cowboys shouldn't give up the #4. I'm not saying either of you are wrong at all, just spit balling. I do agree with you that the money you would have to pay Wilkerson would be an issue, but he is a guy that would be worth what he makes, and it never hurts your team to pay guys that are worth their money IMO
Here is why I am normally against trades for top players. If that same player is a FA you are paying them full value to sign them and giving up nothing. Why am I going to give Wilkerson that same full value contract I would if he were a FA AND give up a #4 pick in the draft for him (even swapping for #20) just because hte Jets tagged him?

Every player has a contract value at which they are an asset to your team. Anything above that and they are a liability. You can take the greatest player in history and if he is making $50M per year your team is better of without him than with him and his $50M cap hit that prevents you from doing other things with that money. So if we get Wilkerson for the #4 pick the alternate (totally making up and not trying to be exactly accurate) scenario could be drafting player X (insert whomever you want the most at #4) and signing Weddle and Amukamura. He is a good player, but is he worth all 3 of those things? That is the decision to make and we don't all necessarily have to agree on which is better for this team.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is why I am normally against trades for top players. If that same player is a FA you are paying them full value to sign them and giving up nothing. Why am I going to give Wilkerson that same full value contract I would if he were a FA AND give up a #4 pick in the draft for him (even swapping for #20) just because hte Jets tagged him?

Every player has a contract value at which they are an asset to your team. Anything above that and they are a liability. You can take the greatest player in history and if he is making $50M per year your team is better of without him than with him and his $50M cap hit that prevents you from doing other things with that money. So if we get Wilkerson for the #4 pick the alternate (totally making up and not trying to be exactly accurate) scenario could be drafting player X (insert whomever you want the most at #4) and signing Weddle and Amukamura. He is a good player, but is he worth all 3 of those things? That is the decision to make and we don't all necessarily have to agree on which is better for this team.
I see your point. Not a move I see the Cowboys making anyway, more of a Jerry type move than Stephen. I think the Cowboys will continue to try and build the team through the draft and resign their own FA's for the foreseeable future

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see your point. Not a move I see the Cowboys making anyway, more of a Jerry type move than Stephen. I think the Cowboys will continue to try and build the team through the draft and resign their own FA's for the foreseeable future
i agree with you, but I do think we will pounce if the right move is there - not saying this is it or not.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree with you, but I do think we will pounce if the right move is there - not saying this is it or not.
It kind of looks like they are taking the same approach as a couple of years ago, signing solid but unspectacular FA's at need positions to allow themselves to take the best talent available in the draft. The only thing that worries me right now is the fact that Johnny Football has been released, and we haven't signed a vet backup. Can Jerry help himself?

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It kind of looks like they are taking the same approach as a couple of years ago, signing solid but unspectacular FA's at need positions to allow themselves to take the best talent available in the draft. The only thing that worries me right now is the fact that Johnny Football has been released, and we haven't signed a vet backup. Can Jerry help himself?
One of the reasons I hope we grab a QB soon. Still like Hoyer as the best of what seems to be out there.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of the reasons I hope we grab a QB soon. Still like Hoyer as the best of what seems to be out there.
I like Hoyer, I also wouldn't be opposed to trading a 4th or so for Glennon from TB

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glennon totally sucks. A 7th round at best.

tylerTX88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that they are following that formula from a few years ago which is good for me. I would hate to see them slide back into cap hell behavior after cleaning things up for a few years. With continuing to get better draft picks things should continue to improve. Sign solid FA to fill some holes or add some depth and build through the draft. I really hope we can keep Durbar. I think they just (finally) started to stratch the surface of how to use him, I would hate to see some other team benefit from his talents.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about the need for another TE.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Long already visited?

David Moore of the Dallas Morning News reports that free agent Chris Long is expected to visit with the Cowboys next week.

While no visit has currently been scheduled, the Cowboys have “definite interest” in him, according to Moore.