• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fox Is in: Official OC/DC hiring thread

C

cubzzzfanincali

Ok... I hear you guys keep saying it's all about Jay Cutler- I get why you say it.
But since The Great Black Monday- IT's been VERY rare to hear anyone talk about or point out the other failures of this Bears team... AND yes, yes... I KNOW some of you have. It's been discussed. But the focus has entirely been on the Jay Cutler "Question". Can we trade him, Will Fox keep him, if so it's only ONE more year of his Crap!!
What if Fox/Fangio can get the defense to respectability? What if Gase can get a running game and balanced offense that doesn't jump off sides every other play? What if the ST coach get's our returner to take a knee? What if Fox controls Marshall and he rebounds?

This is what a 5-11 team looks like:
The bears opponents only had 3 more offensive plays...and 800 more yards!! and scored 123 more points.
On 3rd Down facing the Bear Defense:
The average QB rating on 3rd down against the Bears: 110.9 (Brady and Rodgers were perfect 158.3)
The league average is 69.0
Number of Sacks on 3rd down: ZERO. Not one sack on 3rd down. I double checked that a couple of times.
Forced 4 interceptions and 3 fumbles.
189 3rd downs... 30% of the time they gave up 10 yards or more. 58/189
11 of those 58 was for 20+
3 of those 58 was for 30+
3 of those 58 was for 40+
1 of those 58 was for 50+
1 of those 58 was for 73 yards.

The Bears were a little below average in 3rd down conversion percent on defense. 21st in the league, at 42.3%. No doubt that they could do somewhat better.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Biggs reporting today that the Bears quarterback coaching hire has nothing to do with Jay Cutler, and that they're done coddling him. Just simply that he was the best candidate in their eyes.

Not sure if I believe it, and that would actually make the hire more puzzling. Because it's underwhelming to begin with.

C

cubzzzfanincali

I know a big reason why people hate Cutler is for his paycheck. Everyone loved to mention how he was the highest paid QB. blah blah blah.... (it's not your money)

Heading into 2015, Jay Cutler ($16.5m) will be the 11th highest paid QUARTERBACK in the NFL. Not the eleventh highest paid player, he will be the 18th highest paid player equivalent to the likes of Andre Johnson ($16m) and Haloti Ngata ($16m). Cutler will only be getting paid about $800,000 more than Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith.
And that will most likely change when Luck and Wilson sign new deals.
I know for most of you- they won't matter and you will say something like- "ahhh he doesn't deserve a dime!!" well that's not how it works in the NFL.

According to Sportrac, your numbers are wrong.

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

Although it's really beside the point. No, it isn't my money, but that isn't the point either. It's my team's salary cap consumption, and in that sense it matters a lot.

I'd be fine if he plays like the 18th place player, whether he is 18th in the league or 1st in $$. I just want him to stop committing turnovers.

It isn't the money Joey. It's that he has been sucking up all the cap room while costing us games with his turnovers.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brad Biggs reporting today that the Bears quarterback coaching hire has nothing to do with Jay Cutler, and that they're done coddling him. Just simply that he was the best candidate in their eyes.

Not sure if I believe it, and that would actually make the hire more puzzling. Because it's underwhelming to begin with.

Maybe its a win just getting it in his head that they were coddling him. The way they prove it is getting real competition for the starting QB job.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Surprised the Bears are a slot ahead of St. Louis. IMO, that team is a QB away from being scary.

Yeah, I hear you. There were a few things I found to be pretty weird about the analysis, sure can't say I agreed with all of it for every team, but figured you guys might be interested in looking at it. I find the analysis of the Bears a lot more in line with my thinking than on St Louis.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised the Bears are a slot ahead of St. Louis. IMO, that team is a QB away from being scary.

Yea, and QB's are so easy to find, I have zero clue why they haven't found one. :L

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Sportrac, your numbers are wrong.

NFL Salary Rankings | Spotrac

Although it's really beside the point. No, it isn't my money, but that isn't the point either. It's my team's salary cap consumption, and in that sense it matters a lot.

I'd be fine if he plays like the 18th place player, whether he is 18th in the league or 1st in $$. I just want him to stop committing turnovers.

It isn't the money Joey. It's that he has been sucking up all the cap room while costing us games with his turnovers.

Jay Cutler Contract Details and Salary Cap Charges | Over The Cap
This is where I got that $16.5m

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Elite
  • Good
  • Average
  • Bad

• WR Jordy Nelson
    • RB Eddie Lacy
    • QB Aaron Rodgers
    • WR Randall Cobb
    • G T.J. Lang
    • G Josh Sitton
    • NFL Average: 2
    • CB Casey Hayward
    • OLB Julius Peppers
    • S Morgan Burnett
    • C Corey Linsley
    • OT Bryan Bulaga
    • NFL Average: 4.3
    • DE Mike Daniels
    • OLB Clay Matthews
    • CB Tramon Williams
    • CB Davon House
    • TE Andrew Quarless
    • DE Datone Jones
    • ILB Jamari Lattimore
    • OLB Nick Perry
    • ILB Sam Barrington
    • OT David Bakhtiari
    • S Ha Ha Clinton-Dix
    • CB Sam Shields
    • DE Josh Boyd
    • DT Letroy Guion
    • S Micah Hyde
    • RB James Starks
    • TE Richard Rodgers
    • ILB A.J. Hawk
    • NFL Average: 21
    • WR Davante Adams
    • OLB Mike Neal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Elite
  • Good
  • Average
  • Bad

• NFL Average: 2
    • DT Jeremiah Ratliff
    • TE Martellus Bennett
    • DT Stephen Paea
    • G Kyle Long
    • NFL Average: 4.3
    • CB Tim Jennings
    • WR Brandon Marshall
    • WR Alshon Jeffery
    • C Brian de la Puente
    • DE Jared Allen
    • OLB Lance Briggs
    • S Ryan Mundy
    • C Roberto Garza
    • G Matt Slauson
    • DE Lamarr Houston
    • ILB Jon Bostic
    • OLB Shea McClellin
    • CB Demontre Hurst
    • RB Matt Forte
    • S Brock Vereen
    • TE Dante Rosario
    • S Chris Conte
    • DE Willie Young
    • OT Jermon Bushrod
    • ILB D.J. Williams
    • DT Ego Ferguson
    • OLB Christian Jones
    • G Michael Ola
    • WR Josh Morgan
    • WR Santonio Holmes
    • OT Jordan Mills
    • NFL Average: 21
    • DT Will Sutton
    • QB Jay Cutler
    • WR Marquess Wilson
    • CB Kyle Fuller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got zero elite while GB has 6. lol Fuller in the bad section lol. plus many more I disagree with. BM and Jeffery are average WRs. Forte a average RB,

C

cubzzzfanincali

We got zero elite while GB has 6. lol Fuller in the bad section lol. plus many more I disagree with. BM and Jeffery are average WRs. Forte a average RB,

Well, I disagree with them on Jeffery, I would have put him in the good category. But otherwise I don't have a huge problem with their ratings on the Bears. Marshall did by most accounts have about an average season, and so did Forte. Remember, they are talking about ranking their actual plays this year, not their whole careers. And I'm not down on Fuller or anything because he was a rookie, but there is no question that he got picked apart in the latter part of the season. Hey, it's hard for any CB to just get plugged in as the #1 in your first season. I'm hopeful it was a good learning experience for him. But viewed objectively, how did Fuller's net play not warrant "bad" when there were so many bad outcomes?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I disagree with them on Jeffery, I would have put him in the good category. But otherwise I don't have a huge problem with their ratings on the Bears. Marshall did by most accounts have about an average season, and so did Forte. Remember, they are talking about ranking their actual plays this year, not their whole careers. And I'm not down on Fuller or anything because he was a rookie, but there is no question that he got picked apart in the latter part of the season. Hey, it's hard for any CB to just get plugged in as the #1 in your first season. I'm hopeful it was a good learning experience for him. But viewed objectively, how did Fuller's net play not warrant "bad" when there were so many bad outcomes?
He was targeted after his injury. I was very happy with what I saw. Also he was playing off the ball via Tucker. Not his strength.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know if this is the best thread for this question, but does anyone know if Joe Kim, the martial arts expert hired by the Bears last off-season, was retained? I didn't see him on the ChicagoBears.com site under coaching staff, but he was not a conventional coach, so he may not have been there in the first place. I also didn't see any news of him being fired or retained.

I hope we still held on to him. I thought it was a savvy hire and could only help a team that undoubtedly will be getting a lot younger very soon. Kim had an interesting bio... he was introduced into the NFL over 20 years ago by Belicheck, had worked with a handful of teams and a lot of players sing his praises for helping them raise their game to the next level (Tamba Hali swears by the guy). If we drafted a pass rusher like Gregory, Ray, Beasley or Fowler... teaching them how to win with hand technique could be a boon.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this kinda slipped thru last night

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 36m36 minutes ago

Wow. Big-time hire RT @ChicagoBears: #Bears have hired Stan Drayton as running backs coach; Helped Buckeyes win national title in '14.

I know their line was dominating, but another quality position coach added.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AI, agreed good hire.... and before OSU he was in Florida when they won Championships.
I guess they just got a Top RB to commit and as soon as he did- Drayton bolted for the Bears- and the kid sent out a pissed off tweet about it.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:tsk: I disagree and so do the stats. Stats that hold a couple NFL records. I am surprised by the number of people that say Forte was average.

He is a top 5 back, year-in and year-out, and I don't think last year was an exception. My opinion of course, but..

Tough to set positive NFL records and say it was an average season. Marty Bennett is another that had a great season.

And putting Fuller in the bad is ridiculous. As a rookie he was up against the best WRs in the league week in and week out, playing thru a hip-pointer(brutal for a DB) and broken hand(also brutal for a DB)

I thought the kid was great, and I believe he will be one of the best in the game, by the time its all said and done.

C

cubzzzfanincali

:tsk: I disagree and so do the stats. Stats that hold a couple NFL records. I am surprised by the number of people that say Forte was average.

He is a top 5 back, year-in and year-out, and I don't think last year was an exception. My opinion of course, but..

Tough to set positive NFL records and say it was an average season. Marty Bennett is another that had a great season.

And putting Fuller in the bad is ridiculous. As a rookie he was up against the best WRs in the league week in and week out, playing thru a hip-pointer(brutal for a DB) and broken hand(also brutal for a DB)

I thought the kid was great, and I believe he will be one of the best in the game, by the time its all said and done.

my reasons for saying Forte had an average year as because his yards per carry were pretty mediocre, he broke off almost a league low percentage (among starting RBs) in >20 yard runs, his once-reliable pass blocking was pretty bad this year (I don't know why, but it was), and his impressive receiving statistics were heavily influenced by a lot of "check down" yardage which, I would argue, almost any running back is going to accumulate if you put them in that circumstance.

Fuller had a really tough assignment this year, I agree. And yes he played through an injury. And he may turn into a great CB, especially with the experience he got this year. I'm not down on Fuller at all. But the tape don't lie. The kid got beat, often, and badly. The rendering "bad" is based on outcomes, not on promise or potential.