• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Flyers sign right wing Zherdev

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This is cross-posted in the Flyers board.

Flyers sign right wing Zherdev - Philadelphia Flyers - News

The Philadelphia Flyers announced today that they have signed 6’2’’, 203-pound free agent right wing Nikolai Zherdev (NIH-koh-ligh ZHAIR-dehv) to a one-year contract, according to club General Manager Paul Holmgren. Per club policy, financial terms were not disclosed.

“Nik is a highly-skilled player who, at 25-years-old, we feel will be a good fit to our core of forwards,” said Holmgren. “Prior to playing last season in Russia, Nik ranked as one of the top young point-producers in the NHL. We are pleased to add him to our team.”

Zherdev, 25, appeared in 52 games with Atlant-Moscow of the Kontinental Hockey League in 2009-10 where he recorded 39 points (13G,26A) and 79 penalty minutes during the regular season. He led the team in penalty minutes (79), while also finishing second on the team in assists (26) and third in points (39) this past season.

In 2008-09, his last season in the National Hockey League, he recorded 58 points (23G,35A) and 39 penalty minutes and appeared in all 82 regular season games with the New York Rangers. He led all Rangers in goals (23) and tied for the team lead in points (58), while finishing second on the club in assists (35).

Over parts of five seasons in the NHL with the Columbus Blue Jackets (2003-04 to 2007-08) and Rangers (2008-09), Zherdev has compiled 239 career points (99G,140A) and 203 penalty minutes in 365 regular season games. He has also appeared in seven Stanley Cup Playoff games, going scoreless.

A native of Kiev, Ukraine, Zherdev was selected by the Blue Jackets as the fourth overall pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he doesnt show up i'm not worried about it. I heard the same story about Ville Leino but I thought he was one of our best forwards in the playoffs. I think as long as 2 out of the 3 in Giroux, Leino, Zherdev show up...we'll has some pretty solid depth.

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's 2 mill that is a great deal in terms of risk/reward.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he doesnt show up i'm not worried about it. I heard the same story about Ville Leino but I thought he was one of our best forwards in the playoffs. I think as long as 2 out of the 3 in Giroux, Leino, Zherdev show up...we'll has some pretty solid depth.

It will be interesting to see what he can do with his incredible skills. Those are two talented players who kind of had the opposite problems. Zherdev was thrust into the league before he was ready, grew a big head, and then disappeared up his own ass due to improper development and attitude. Leino actually seemed to need more ice time, but never really got a proper shake in Detroit. I'm glad he's blossomed in Philly, hopefully he can continue to find success. Zherdev as well has an excellent chance to rebuild his confidence and show he can be a good player and a good guy in the locker room.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It will be interesting to see what he can do with his incredible skills. Those are two talented players who kind of had the opposite problems. Zherdev was thrust into the league before he was ready, grew a big head, and then disappeared up his own ass due to improper development and attitude. Leino actually seemed to need more ice time, but never really got a proper shake in Detroit. I'm glad he's blossomed in Philly, hopefully he can continue to find success. Zherdev as well has an excellent chance to rebuild his confidence and show he can be a good player and a good guy in the locker room.

So it wasnt Leino's lack of work ethic it was not getting enough ice time? Thats weird I thought I heard he was lazy. Either way good deal because he'll get some solid time on that second line.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there were some work ethic questions with leino. from what i heard the red wings were hoping he would help out more and when he did not they sent him to the 4th line and scratched him a few time. we got him for nothing.

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it wasnt Leino's lack of work ethic it was not getting enough ice time? Thats weird I thought I heard he was lazy. Either way good deal because he'll get some solid time on that second line.

I don't know about off the ice, I heard some rumblings of attitude problems, mostly regarding ice time. On the ice I don't remember him looking particularly lazy, just a little lost. You could tell he had skills, but something wasn't clicking.

I remember my first job out of high school, I was a line cook at a busy restaurant. I absolutely sucked, no matter how hard I tried I was absolutely no good at cooking. I ended up quitting (or maybe I got fired, I don't remember) and took another similar job at a similar restaurant. For some reason, even though the work was the same, I was 10x the cook over there and ended up moving up the ladder quickly. I didn't do anything different, the work was the exact same, but the change of scenery just seemed to cause something to click.

I think the same kind of thing happens with hockey players sometimes. Sometimes there isn't necessarily anything "wrong" with the player or the situation, they just need to shake things up a bit. For some reason I get the feeling that is what happened with Leino.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hmm thats interesting. I never bought into that whole "change of scenery" nonsense. I just thought that was an excuse. The only thing I credited to a player who stepped up on a new team was that the system was a better fit for that player.

When I played hockey the only thing that made a difference to me was my confidence, if I was feeling lost or not pulling my weight it would just get worse. So but as far as the other mental issues of players I just dont get it.

Maybe the intangibles are a lot more intense in the pro's...I definitely cant speak for experience on that front lol

Eddie_Shack

likes oatmeal lumpy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm thats interesting. I never bought into that whole "change of scenery" nonsense. I just thought that was an excuse. The only thing I credited to a player who stepped up on a new team was that the system was a better fit for that player.

When I played hockey the only thing that made a difference to me was my confidence, if I was feeling lost or not pulling my weight it would just get worse. So but as far as the other mental issues of players I just dont get it.

Maybe the intangibles are a lot more intense in the pro's...I definitely cant speak for experience on that front lol

I was a pretty consistent hockey player, so I don't remember having many ups or downs. Then again, when you're 16 you don't have to worry about contracts, agents, fans, or really much of a system at all.

h X c Chris

foul-mouthed
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well im i'm Zherdev i'm wondering why i'm only making 900k more than Jody Shelley...nothing makes me lazier than some asswipe getting paid more than he's worth while i'm getting underpaid.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

laughingapeavatar.gif

gtown27

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Not that I thought the Sabres would've signed him, but man, at $2 million, I'd take that ANY day.

Drew Stafford is a waste. Why not take a shot with a guy just as big and with more talent. Ignore the fact that Lindy Ruff hates euros as much as Don Cherry does...