• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florio and the Burrow story

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow on Bengals: If they select me, they select me

Florio is trying his best to push the Burrow won't play for the Bengals story. I've noticed on Twitter that the ESPN beat writer for the Bengals (Ben Baby) and the Athletic (former enquirer) beat guy for the Bengals (Dehner) both are sort of rolling their eyes about the Florio reports. Prisco also thinks it's a whole lot of nothing.

What say you guys? I can see the Bengals playing chicken if it came to it.... But that could be a dangerous position with Chase Young on deck and other potential qb options in play and with only Finley expected on the roster.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe Burrow on Bengals: If they select me, they select me

Florio is trying his best to push the Burrow won't play for the Bengals story. I've noticed on Twitter that the ESPN beat writer for the Bengals (Ben Baby) and the Athletic (former enquirer) beat guy for the Bengals (Dehner) both are sort of rolling their eyes about the Florio reports. Prisco also thinks it's a whole lot of nothing.

What say you guys? I can see the Bengals playing chicken if it came to it.... But that could be a dangerous position with Chase Young on deck and other potential qb options in play and with only Finley expected on the roster.

It is a big bag of nothing. Burrow has said repeatedly that he has NO problem playing for Cincinnati. His dad has said the same thing.

They are taking the comment he made about wanting to play for a team that wants to win - and running with it. Of course he wants to be drafted by a team that wants to win. EVERYONE wants to be drafted to a team that wants to win. It's a non-story, but Brown, and the Bengals, are an easy target.

I mean, the Bengals went to the playoffs 5 straight years. They've had some really good years in the 2010's. It's not like they were doormats like in the 90's. Yes, the last few years have been rough. It's been a mix of injuries, bad drafts, and other things that have kind of all mixed in there resulting in what it has been - but it's not like they've gone out of their way to simply just not be good. The 90's Bengals refused to be better. For all of Brown's faults - he hired Lewis, and Lewis got them on the train to being at least respectable. Some good years with Palmer - and the team was respected offensively. When that window closed - they rebooted and made 5 playoffs with Dalton/Green and co.

I'll agree that Brown's way of winning isn't going to win any awards, or maybe even win consistently - but the guy does want to win, he cares about his players, and the organization as a whole takes care of them. This entire narrative is lazy, uneducated - and quite frankly - embarrassing for anyone who continues to push it.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Florio's also a Steelers fan, so there's that.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a big bag of nothing. Burrow has said repeatedly that he has NO problem playing for Cincinnati. His dad has said the same thing.

They are taking the comment he made about wanting to play for a team that wants to win - and running with it. Of course he wants to be drafted by a team that wants to win. EVERYONE wants to be drafted to a team that wants to win. It's a non-story, but Brown, and the Bengals, are an easy target.

I mean, the Bengals went to the playoffs 5 straight years. They've had some really good years in the 2010's. It's not like they were doormats like in the 90's. Yes, the last few years have been rough. It's been a mix of injuries, bad drafts, and other things that have kind of all mixed in there resulting in what it has been - but it's not like they've gone out of their way to simply just not be good. The 90's Bengals refused to be better. For all of Brown's faults - he hired Lewis, and Lewis got them on the train to being at least respectable. Some good years with Palmer - and the team was respected offensively. When that window closed - they rebooted and made 5 playoffs with Dalton/Green and co.

I'll agree that Brown's way of winning isn't going to win any awards, or maybe even win consistently - but the guy does want to win, he cares about his players, and the organization as a whole takes care of them. This entire narrative is lazy, uneducated - and quite frankly - embarrassing for anyone who continues to push it.

It should also be noted that Cincinnati is hardly the QB wasteland of most bad franchises..... Outside of that rough patch in the 90s with Klingler and Smith, the franchise has had a lot of stability at the position.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way Mike Brown turns this guy down for anyone else. Just can't, and won't happen.

*Anything in italics is from the article, anything in regular print is my commentary. There is so much in this article, I just pulled out highlights I really enjoyed.

The Roots And Rising Of Joe Burrow

"Joe being Joe?" he is asked in his office among three generations of Athens helmets and a ball from the 2014 state championship game Joey nearly pulled out in the 56-52 loss to Toledo Central Catholic. "If we had 30 more seconds …"

Athens has never been known as an Ohio football power, but for the three years Burrow quarterbacked them the Bulldogs were. They're going to name the stadium after him this upcoming season and they're sure this sign that hangs in the end zone on the outside of a weight room wall is still going to be in fashion: "2014 Athens Bulldogs. 861 Points. Highest scoring team in OHSAA history."
- He also won 2014 Ohio's Mr. Football Award.

What does he do with LSU, oh yeah, went undefeated his final season, set damn near every single season QB record in the NCAA, won the Heisman, and the National Championship.

He missed out on the State Championship in High School by a slim margin, did it in college, now it is just time for him to win a Superbowl with THE BENGALS!

"As soon as people started saying, 'LSU isn't a good fit, not sure if he can go there and win, I was thinking, 'Well, that locks it down, he'll go to LSU,''' White says. "He certainly likes being the underdog, the chip on his shoulder type guy, but I think he also thrives on the big stage. I think he loves playing in big games.

"It goes all the way back to high school. We are historically not a great program. He took us to the state championship game. Then he went to LSU, a double-tight-end-pound-the-ball team and you can't win doing that anymore and Joe went down there and they won (in a new scheme.) It's funny. To hear people say he can't win in Cincinnati, I want to say, 'Wait a minute. People have been telling him that forever.' To me maybe it's the best situation."

"He can motivate with very few words," Adam says. "Just how he carries himself on and off the field. The facial expression and body language. You'll never see him freak out when things aren't going his way."

Adam says he was also one of those guys who knew what he had. The Saturday after football games the team made a practice of going to eat at a Bob Evans. Before they left one day, Adam noticed Burrow grab a to-go box, put some food in it and without saying anything drove it to a nearby homeless man.

"It's something he would talk about," Adam says. "He'd say how lucky we were."

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
heard some radio jockeys talking about this on the radio. Apparently a lot of people in Cincinnati think Burrow doesn't want to be here. They are idiots, I know.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if that is truly the case, he better get used to it. Every expert in the country seems to be predicting the Bengals take Burrow with the #1 pick, unless some mother load of booty is anted up for that pick. I still don't think we trade it away.

Combine this weekend. He will get a chance to talk to Zac Taylor, the staff, etc. I am sure being this close to home, how young and inventive Taylor can be with his offense will intrigue Burrow.

I already have my #9 Burrow jersey on order. Hope he gets used to the idea if he is not just playing media hype. If he is not going to be participating in some off season activities, it is always best to keep yourself relevant someway, even if it is gossip, otherwise he could slide out of that #1 talk arena.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if that is truly the case, he better get used to it. Every expert in the country seems to be predicting the Bengals take Burrow with the #1 pick, unless some mother load of booty is anted up for that pick. I still don't think we trade it away.

Combine this weekend. He will get a chance to talk to Zac Taylor, the staff, etc. I am sure being this close to home, how young and inventive Taylor can be with his offense will intrigue Burrow.

I already have my #9 Burrow jersey on order. Hope he gets used to the idea if he is not just playing media hype. If he is not going to be participating in some off season activities, it is always best to keep yourself relevant someway, even if it is gossip, otherwise he could slide out of that #1 talk arena.

I just had the thought of the slim chance you might have to return the jersey. maybe you can get on the news?