• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida AD Says They Would Schedule UCF "In The Right Situation"

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The upper tier G5 teams are good, and can win against a LOT of P5 teams in a "one off" type of game. Part of the problem for your smaller schools is that the starters are good, but the teams lack the quality depth most of the upper P5 programs have. Where this really shows itself is when you play a schedule filled with quality teams. Injuries take their toll. Last year for example Bama lost 7 LB's... SEVEN for most of the year. When you are playing against consistently weak opponents you just don't get the same type of attrition.
Yep...and such is the difference between top P5s and mid/lower P5s.

The drop off between starters and back ups for OU is a lot less than the drop off between starters and back ups for Texas Tech.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2017 they played Michigan in Texas. A true out of state road game another 25+ years. The only other home and home Florida is willing to do is Miami.

A game in Tally or in Miami isn’t a “true” road game? What is the importance of a state line if the opponent is good?

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stanford found a way to schedule us when they were a top 15 team, what's Florida's problem? I'm asking for Florida to do what other P5 schools have done the last few years. Schedule us and settle this whole "UCF is nothing" debate on the football field.

You think fsu is a cupcake? UF plays them every year. Most P5 schools do not play an OOC opponent anywhere near as tough as fsu has been over the last 40 years. Oh and Florida DID schedule you. You CHICKENED OUT of your last scheduled game with UF. Why should UF play fsu home and home and then lose money to come play at your little cracker jack box stadium? You don't rate it.

jjc2009

I Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He never elaborates what the right situation is,

If I had to guess, when the current batch of talent graduates and they’re in rebuilding mode.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First the UF AD is full of shit.

With the exception of FSU or Miami...they haven't scheduled
a home and home series against anybody in 32 years. (and that
was Rutgers)

UCF could schedule home and home with Miami. They could also
try Miss St and Ole Miss. Ole Miss played a home and home with
Wyoming. Miss St took a single game at South Alabama.

Illinois would probably go home and home with them. Rutgers
would. They need to play who they can get. And then fight
to get somebody good on the schedule on the road.

They always book way in advance but Notre Dame would do a
Home and Neutral site with them. (They would come to Orlando
but want to play at the Citrus Bowl Stadium and be given 35K
tickets)

Yeah....just fsu and miami. Two real cupcakes there I suppose right?

You know the timeline just as well as I. UF voted against the SEC expanding its conference schedule in 1987. UF lost that vote and the SEC added another game. That meant UF could no longer schedule miami every year and instead wanted to keep playing fsu and an intersectional game. UF did play Oklahoma State in 1990, Syracuse in 1991 and Louisville in 1992. The SEC then added two new members and expanded the conference schedule again in 1992. That meant UF had to chose between an intersectional opponent....ie scheduling "just like everybody else" OR playing fsu home and home every year. UF opted to keep playing fsu. Had UF not chosen that, you'd cry that UF wasn't playing y'all every year anymore. Y'all were going to cry and whine no matter what.

When the 12th game was added UF started playing miami again (who cried and whined that UF was no longer playing them every year). Of course then you cried and whined that UF wasn't playing "out of state" as if a state line meant anything for college football. So then UF plays Michigan at a neutral site. Now the whine has shifted to "out of state AND home and home".

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that was the point, they don’t schedule home/homes with other P5 teams.

I’m just calling bullshit, but if UCF thinks they deserve home/home series with teams that stand to lose money from it, and plan to hold out for such series, they’re gonna have a shitty schedule for years to come.

Well in that case I call bullshit on you. fsu and miami are P5 teams. UF plays home and home contracts with them.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well then the point was patently false, because FSU is a P5 team with an annual series. Home and homes with Miami have also been mixed in, though next season the game is in Orlando.

And the previous AD (Foley) refusing to schedule other teams shouldn't be held against the new AD. I assure you, nearly all UF fans would love to see some variety.

If UF scheduled "just like everybody else".....which means dropping fsu and playing a slate of other P5 opponents like say, Indiana, Oregon State, Wisconsin, Texas Tech and Penn State home and home over the next 10 years which would a typical OOC schedule for most P5 teams the screaming and crying would be deafening. fsu fans would cry rivers of tears about how UF was "ducking" them and act like they were entitled to have a home and home contract with UF every year. It would satisfy all the whiners' demands and we all know the whining would only get far far louder. They don't want UF to schedule "just like everybody else". They want UF to schedule far far harder than everybody else.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stop... if you’re going with Miami is the other P5 teams and they’ve played 1 P5 game at a neutral site out of state in recent history, I say the point was right on.

uh no. fsu is also a P5 team. fsu and miami are two of the winningest programs in the country over the last 40 years. They have a combined 8 national titles between them over that time and have played for many more. Playing those two a bunch of times is a MUCH tougher OOC schedule than the vast majority of programs play.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the OP’s quote is right (wouldn’t be shocked if it’s not, to be fair) he said they do home and homes with FSU and other P5 leagues. If that’s his plan moving forward, awesome, but that hasn’t been the case in at least decades. So they don’t. I’d hate the lack of variety too. I get it’s worked okay for your program, but god damn... I’m sure it has gotten boring for you guys.

It has gotten boring. It does lack variety. What it does not lack is quality. There are literally only a handful (as in fewer than 5) programs in America who have played more OOC opponents who finished ranked than UF over the last 40 years. Remember when fsu had that run of 14 years straight of top 5 finishes? UF was playing them every year. Remember when miami won national titles in the 80s? UF played them two of those years (and went 1-1 against them in those years). Look at what most teams play in their OOC schedule. Their "big" OOC game is only rarely the quality of an fsu or miami in most seasons.

Surfahgal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
UCF does need to be tested.
That will be the only way for the credibility issue to be addressed.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a very nice stadium IN Orlando you could use for a "neutral site" game instead of the tiny "bounce house". You would still have the game in your city, and would benefit from the home crowd, but it would make it more fiscally appealing to one of the larger P5 teams.
Yes it is.. but it only sits 65000 people.. the swamp sits 99,800ish.. it would wouldn't be beneficial for UF...UCF can travel the hour and 30 minutes to Gainesville along with their 500 fans.. I was at the last game they played us.. .it was cute

RTR...USN (ret)

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes it is.. but it only sits 65000 people.. the swamp sits 99,800ish.. it would wouldn't be beneficial for UF...UCF can travel the hour and 30 minutes to Gainesville along with their 500 fans.. I was at the last game they played us.. .it was cute
They could. I was being more general, and not speaking just about UF.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A game in Tally or in Miami isn’t a “true” road game? What is the importance of a state line if the opponent is good?
Claiming that Florida plays home and home games with FSU “and other P5 programS” is false. It’s only two teams that they play home and homes with out of conference, Miami and FSU, no one else.

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Claiming that Florida plays home and home games with FSU “and other P5 programS” is false. It’s only two teams that they play home and homes with out of conference, Miami and FSU, no one else.
We literally have to play FSU every single year.. it's actually legislated through the state government we get no choice with FSU

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No its not. miami is another P5 program.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We literally have to play FSU every single year.. it's actually legislated through the state government we get no choice with FSU

Woah! No its not legislated. It was never legislated. That is fsu propaganda. Some legislators sympathetic to fsu brought forward a bill in the state legislature in the late 50s. They LOST the vote. The then governor ASKED the ADs to schedule each other. Wanting to keep the state government sweet, the UF AD agreed.

That's it. There is not and was never any kind of legal requirement that the two play and certainly no legal requirement that they play every year. If anybody disputes that just ask them to cite which state statute requires it. Ask them the precise statute number so that we can all read it for ourselves. This is where they hem and haw and try to back away........

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woah! No its not legislated. It was never legislated. That is fsu propaganda. Some legislators sympathetic to fsu brought forward a bill in the state legislature in the late 50s. They LOST the vote. The then governor ASKED the ADs to schedule each other. Wanting to keep the state government sweet, the UF AD agreed.

That's it. There is not and was never any kind of legal requirement that the two play and certainly no legal requirement that they play every year. If anybody disputes that just ask them to cite which state statute requires it. Ask them the precise statute number so that we can all read it for ourselves. This is where they hem and haw and try to back away........
Well that isn't the story my great grandfather told.. They were Ordered to play by the Governor and even though there is no "writen" law.. .there it's a contractual agreement between them.. that they must play each other every year.

Huddie Leadbetter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Google knows everything, so I asked it if UF and FSU had to play each other by legislation. Google said....

How Florida Was Ordered To Play Florida State

House Bill 333, called for a state policy requiring athletic competition between Florida and Florida State in all sports.

Political debate now took over.

After days of concessions and alterations to the bill, it finally came to a vote.

Florida State supporters were now against the bill because of the changes that had been made to it and Florida supporters were never in favor of it in the first place.

The headlines of the Tallahassee Democrat the next day (April 28, 1955) told the story...

"FSU-UF Bill Defeated."
"Bid fails in Senate by 19-15 vote."

But according to the article, you're right g8trgirl, that the governor got involved and pretty much demanded they play.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that isn't the story my great grandfather told.. They were Ordered to play by the Governor and even though there is no "writen" law.. .there it's a contractual agreement between them.. that they must play each other every year.

I’d like to see this contract “requiring” them to play every year. As for the governor....Even if there were some kind of order which I don’t believe there was, it was the 1950s. He’s long dead by now.