• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Florida AD Says They Would Schedule UCF "In The Right Situation"

ktg8trgrl

Go Gators!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,351.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I’d like to see this contract “requiring” them to play every year. As for the governor....Even if there were some kind of order which I don’t believe there was, it was the 1950s. He’s long dead by now.
I don't disagree.. but i believe it has to do with the then education board and its contractual obligation between the 2 schools.. and what the Governor ordered was finagled into that meeting.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is another of UCF's issues, i constantly hear they want home and homes... which they wont get til they can demand it with more than a tantrum but actual long term history of success.
Bullshit. Florida and the other "power" schools have only two goals in scheduling out of conference games: easy wins and extra income. God forbid that honest fair competition is ever included in the list. :2cents:

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the kind of attitude that is the problem. UCF isn't a major program. They keep playing a non major schedule, and then expect the major programs to just give them a home and home. It doesn't work like that.
Translation, play someone tough, just not us."

LyquidMetal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bobby Bowden would play any team, anywhere, anytime. Hell, he'd tee it up in the parking lot on a Wednesday afternoon if he thought it would help build his program. The model is there for UCF to follow, but they're not interested. They want to stamp their foot and make demands, when they are in no position to do so.
Well, isn't that how the game is played these days? Cry butthurt and the powers that be will bend over and tell em to come get some. Schedule some big boys on reg season and prove something. Oh, that's harsh isn't it?

Huddie Leadbetter

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bullshit. Florida and the other "power" schools have only two goals in scheduling out of conference games: easy wins and extra income. God forbid that honest fair competition is ever included in the list. :2cents:

But your team, Boise State, played a lot of one off games at more established schools, and didn't demand a home and home, and now your team is much more recognized and respected. A quick review back reveals Washington and Wisconsin are just 2 among many that your team played about 15-20 years ago, without getting a return game. In other words, your team did it the way it's nearly always done, and I don't remember Boise State officials, or even fans, complaining about it.

smilesid

Hammerfan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But your team, Boise State, played a lot of one off games at more established schools, and didn't demand a home and home, and now your team is much more recognized and respected. A quick review back reveals Washington and Wisconsin are just 2 among many that your team played about 15-20 years ago, without getting a return game. In other words, your team did it the way it's nearly always done, and I don't remember Boise State officials, or even fans, complaining about it.

And I also remember all the patronizing put downs that my school endured for having the chutzpah to think that they could actually win some of those games. But the Boise State reference is also a testimony to the false notion that top "G5" teams can't compete. The truth is that these schools have just as much talent as all but a few P5 teams. The trouble is that going on the road is always a disadvantage, for any school, even more for one that has to compete with a budget less than half the size. Boise's history is that when they can get neutral site or home and home deals, they can absolutely compete on an even scale. The same is true for UCF. Good Lord, if going undefeated for two straight years isn't enough, what is? You can't schedule teams that aren't willing to play you. And it's just stupid to take on only road games. Why should you let the bigs simply pad the odds and take the lion's share of the profits?

Boise has finally reached the point where they are getting big schools to come to play on the Blue. But it took a decade to do it. And as long as we make crowning the champion mostly the result of using beauty contest rules instead of letting every league champions have a chance to prove it on the field, well, we'll continue to have arguments like this.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Risk vs Reward isnt there to play a team like UCF... they are too good of a G5 but not good enough to be a good loss should a P5 lose to them...at least until they have a history of doing this year after year not just 2 years straight.

rsw626

Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,356.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I also remember all the patronizing put downs that my school endured for having the chutzpah to think that they could actually win some of those games. But the Boise State reference is also a testimony to the false notion that top "G5" teams can't compete. The truth is that these schools have just as much talent as all but a few P5 teams. The trouble is that going on the road is always a disadvantage, for any school, even more for one that has to compete with a budget less than half the size. Boise's history is that when they can get neutral site or home and home deals, they can absolutely compete on an even scale. The same is true for UCF. Good Lord, if going undefeated for two straight years isn't enough, what is? You can't schedule teams that aren't willing to play you. And it's just stupid to take on only road games. Why should you let the bigs simply pad the odds and take the lion's share of the profits?

Boise has finally reached the point where they are getting big schools to come to play on the Blue. But it took a decade to do it. And as long as we make crowning the champion mostly the result of using beauty contest rules instead of letting every league champions have a chance to prove it on the field, well, we'll continue to have arguments like this.
You kind of proved the point there. Boise proved themselves consistently and didn’t bitch and whine and demand home/homes, make fake NC trophies etc. They earned the respect everyone has for them. UCF wants a shortcut, and sorry two seasons undefeated against weak opponents doesn’t automatically make you a powerhouse that can make demands. Also, Utah went undefeated when Meyer was there, you didn’t hear them constantly bitching about not being National Champs did you? They went out and got into a better conference.

NolePride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Woah! No its not legislated. It was never legislated. That is fsu propaganda. Some legislators sympathetic to fsu brought forward a bill in the state legislature in the late 50s. They LOST the vote. The then governor ASKED the ADs to schedule each other. Wanting to keep the state government sweet, the UF AD agreed.

That's it. There is not and was never any kind of legal requirement that the two play and certainly no legal requirement that they play every year. If anybody disputes that just ask them to cite which state statute requires it. Ask them the precise statute number so that we can all read it for ourselves. This is where they hem and haw and try to back away........

It was ordered by the State's Board of Control
I don't disagree.. but i believe it has to do with the then education board and its contractual obligation between the 2 schools.. and what the Governor ordered was finagled into that meeting.

You are correct. UF was ordered to play FSU by the Board of
Control.

How Florida Was Ordered To Play Football Against Florida State

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol at UCF fans demanding a h&h and whining that P5 schools aren't scheduling them.

You aren't in a p5 conference. Adjust your "demands " or stfu.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a lot of people forget the just 3 short years ago, UCF couldn't win a single game. So, while I am cocky about my Knights now, I do hold a level of humbleness when is comes to where we were to where we are now. 3 years ago, a win against an FCS team was welcomed with open arms.

Do the other UCF fans they're your Knights. Why hasn't UCF been renamed UTR yet?

Kaplony

Be afraid.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If UF scheduled "just like everybody else".....which means dropping fsu and playing a slate of other P5 opponents like say, Indiana, Oregon State, Wisconsin, Texas Tech and Penn State home and home over the next 10 years which would a typical OOC schedule for most P5 teams the screaming and crying would be deafening. fsu fans would cry rivers of tears about how UF was "ducking" them and act like they were entitled to have a home and home contract with UF every year. It would satisfy all the whiners' demands and we all know the whining would only get far far louder. They don't want UF to schedule "just like everybody else". They want UF to schedule far far harder than everybody else.

Strange how Clemson plays an eight game conference schedule just like UF and somehow manages to play South Carolina and another P5 team in home and homes.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can't have any of that shit. Too many things can go wrong. Come on man.

NU_FTW

I DGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how power 5 teams schedule 1 non conference gm against another power 5 school and puff their chests.
Yeah!! It's like they think they have 8 other games against p5 and some 9other fuckers think playing 9 or 10 p5 teams every year is more than 1 bottom feeding p5

cclxxxvdicere

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A cynical person might think that Danny is just posturing, trying to act like he has more power than he really does, and using Florida’s refusal to go along with his demands as an excuse to dodge them, again. The excuse about needing the home game revenue is a farce, a few hundred thousand dollars difference for a school with the largest enrollment in the country could be made up by adding the price of a pizza to the student fees, or having a few of their wealthy and influential ex-honors students pony up for the privilege of watching their team prove that they belong with the big boys. Or not.

theboardref

thewhite_00 ESPN board
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boise had the nuts to find teams willing to play them in a neutral site. Boise took action and gained respect by scheduling tough OOC and not saying, “we’ll only play if you give us a home and home” then crying when teams don’t think that is a fair shake to play in their 30k stadium. Why should a major school lose a major pay day to play a team in a small conference when there is zero incentive?

When Boise got itself into position to be the force that it was, people became willing because there was a benefit of going play there. UCF has not done the leg work. Even beating LSU still will not get them on that same peg Boise was because they refuse to schedule relevant programs and play them on the road.

Deathroll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange how Clemson plays an eight game conference schedule just like UF and somehow manages to play South Carolina and another P5 team in home and homes.

Strange how South Carolina has been nowhere near as good as fsu over the last 40 years. Tell ya what....I’m willing to compare the total number of OOC opponents UF played over the last 20-30-40 years which finished in the top 10 and the total number which finished ranked with Clemson’s numbers over that time. Deal?