• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Fitzpatrick gives in and agree to 1 yr deal with NYJ

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...I'm not trying to tie Kubiak at all into the situation. O'Brien just by himself has reached that make or break point in his career. Going to the wildcard while a decent accomplishment is not what any owner or fan base is hoping for to be the high point. So they then go spend big money to bring in a FA QB. The expectations for Osweiler and O'Brien sky rocket. Easy to justify Osweiler playing average or below average when he was on a rookie contract. Him on an $18 million contract though no longer can he have those same expectations. I have no problem giving O'Brien and Osweiler 2 seasons to show what they got together. If losing in the Wildcard or worse is all that happens over the next two years do you really think O'Brien still has a job @NWPATSFAN
No he likely won't if they do worse. We're talking Houston. They're not a storied franchise. WC appearances should be considered the benchmark. Anything above should be considered a victory.

Unlike the PM, Elway, Kubiac scenario, Denver is routinely a contender. To pay an aging QB that much money, with that D and not make the POs or lose in the WC should be considered a huge failure. Elway and Kubiac should've both been let go if you use the same anology as what your using for the Texans. Just like expectations on Oz, Denver should've had higher expectations for their franchise. It's moot because of the SB. But you seem to keep walking the party line and making it sound as if it's not as big a deal or bigger.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No he likely won't if they do worse. We're talking Houston. They're not a storied franchise. WC appearances should be considered the benchmark. Anything above should be considered a victory.

Unlike the PM, Elway, Kubiac scenario, Denver is routinely a contender. To pay an aging QB that much money, with that D and not make the POs or lose in the WC should be considered a huge failure. Elway and Kubiac should've both been let go if you use the same anology as what your using for the Texans. Just like expectations on Oz, Denver should've had higher expectations for their franchise. It's moot because of the SB. But you seem to keep walking the party line and making it sound as if it's not as big a deal or bigger.

Few things here...

1) Elway isn't going anywhere. If there is anybody that has a cooler seat than that of even Belichick in the NFL it would be Elway. Our owner has a very serious disease that has made it where he can no longer run the team. Before he completely lost it he pretty much handed the franchise to Elway. So Elway is pretty much Jerry Jones just without actually owning the team.

2) Any time you higher a new coach you know there is going to be a transition period. Most good franchises give a coach at least 3 years to prove what he can do. To get their system in place and the locker room how they like it usually it takes that long to get the players in place. The Broncos thankfully had a very good veteran locker room that allowed the transition to go even better than most thought. But even if they didn't win the Super Bowl or even say make the playoffs I don't think Kubiak is fired. His seat gets pretty warm pretty quick but I would be shocked if Kubiak wasn't given at least 3 years.

3) O'Brien is not a 1st year coach with the Texans. That is why this is so different. That is why I say he has 2 seasons to show that this investment in Osweiler was worth it. He is known as a QB guru yet so far the QB's in Houston haven't done a whole lot. Hoyer did pretty decent this past year but beyond that not much. Throw in the coach before O'Brien 2 of his last 3 seasons took the team to the Divisional Round of the playoffs. So right now the franchise has taken a bit of a step back. Expectations with a new big money QB are just going to be higher and if they don't meet those expectations we have seen coaches fired for less.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Few things here...

1) Elway isn't going anywhere. If there is anybody that has a cooler seat than that of even Belichick in the NFL it would be Elway. Our owner has a very serious disease that has made it where he can no longer run the team. Before he completely lost it he pretty much handed the franchise to Elway. So Elway is pretty much Jerry Jones just without actually owning the team.

2) Any time you higher a new coach you know there is going to be a transition period. Most good franchises give a coach at least 3 years to prove what he can do. To get their system in place and the locker room how they like it usually it takes that long to get the players in place. The Broncos thankfully had a very good veteran locker room that allowed the transition to go even better than most thought. But even if they didn't win the Super Bowl or even say make the playoffs I don't think Kubiak is fired. His seat gets pretty warm pretty quick but I would be shocked if Kubiak wasn't given at least 3 years.

3) O'Brien is not a 1st year coach with the Texans. That is why this is so different. That is why I say he has 2 seasons to show that this investment in Osweiler was worth it. He is known as a QB guru yet so far the QB's in Houston haven't done a whole lot. Hoyer did pretty decent this past year but beyond that not much. Throw in the coach before O'Brien 2 of his last 3 seasons took the team to the Divisional Round of the playoffs. So right now the franchise has taken a bit of a step back. Expectations with a new big money QB are just going to be higher and if they don't meet those expectations we have seen coaches fired for less.
I agree on everything here. I realize Elway isn't going anywhere. I was making a comparison.
Basing what teams did one, two or three years ago doesn't paint the entire picture. Injuries, SoS, player transactions, strength of division... all need to be taken into account.
Coaching is a tough job. Owners and GMs don't give coaches enough time, with the right resources before they fire tyem.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree on everything here. I realize Elway isn't going anywhere. I was making a comparison.
Basing what teams did one, two or three years ago doesn't paint the entire picture. Injuries, SoS, player transactions, strength of division... all need to be taken into account.
Coaching is a tough job. Owners and GMs don't give coaches enough time, with the right resources before they fire tyem.

I definitely agree with that. It is why when somebody says "This guy is a terrible coach look at how he did at his place coaching" I just laugh a bit. Especially if that guy got fired maybe just a few years in. Not every situation is perfect and like you said sometimes things just don't fall your way like injuries or strength of division. I mean look at who most call the top-2 coaches in BB and Carroll. Both have been fired before yet both found the right situation and have dominated ever since.

To me unless something just down right terrible is going on then a coach should be given at least 3 years. Now there should be some signs of improvement. Maybe not always record but at least going from losing by 20 most games down to say less than a touchdown most weeks can at least show a huge improvement in competitiveness.

That is why I am saying O'Brien though be given 2 years with Brock. That would put him at the 4-year mark for coaching. Now maybe I am going a bit overboard on say if they only make the wildcard round both of those years or maybe they do miss the playoffs one of those years but with the impatience of the league it wouldn't surprise me if they don't produce more that O'Brien is given his walking papers. Honestly I really do like O'Brien as a coach. What he did with Penn State with the state they were in was down right impressive. And I have liked for the most part what he has done in Houston especially with the terrible QB's he has had come through there. Time to see his team all come together though.