• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In two moves Washington can increase their cap, improve their team, and keep their draft capital.

kbso83432

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My plan all along was if we miss on the big three, draft a QB in the 1st and go shopping. The Wentz trade came out of left field for me. Draft picks, all our cap space.

I am willing to take a wait and see approach. Not the route I would have taken, but at least I've seen Wentz be elite before. Even if it was just for a millisecond while squinting.

Fingers crossed on this one.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As all of you know I was one of, if not the biggest proponent in favor of trading for D. Watson. Well, that didn't happen and Washington traded for Carson Wince who now commands a significant portion of their cap, plus IMO, doesn't add much to their QB room. Clearly, I'm not happy with the Wince move but mistakes can be corrected if this suspect Washington front office has the mental capacity to do so. Here's my proposal and fix.

If reports are to be believed, there was some interest in Carson Wince from one or two other teams before the Commanders pulled the trigger.
Washington should immediately make contact with these teams to gauge interest in Wince AND be willing to take no less than a 3rd round pick for his services.

At the same time, they must contact the Cleveland Browns for Baker Mayfield, offering a 3rd round pick for his services. (yep same one)
A 3-way trade involving Washington, Cleveland, and this other team satisfies an issue for each of these teams.

1. Team X gets the guy that they originally wanted or had an interest in, in Wince.

2. Cleveland unloads Mayfield who is likely to be let go into free agency and won't get past Detroit in waivers. In this scenario, Cleveland gets nothing as there are very very few teams currently showing interest in trading for him.

3. Washington, upgrades its QB room, saves roughly 9 million in cap room, doesn't have to worry about upgrading that 3rd round pick to a 2nd because Wince doesn't get 70% of snaps here and remain in a position to draft their future next year if they choose to move on from Baker. All of this can be done at the low, low, price of zero money, zero current players, and no remaining draft capital.

Baker Mayfield > Carson Wince

Each has one year remaining on their current contracts

Carson Wince... $28,294,119
Baker Mayfield..$18,858,000

Thought everyone???
Hell yes, make that deal. Not that i believe baker is the answer, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad deal. Mayfield is definitely not an upgrade to Wentz. That’s hardly even a question.

It would be a lateral move, though I dont rhink that Mayfield is comparable to wentz. I dont think mayfield’s best season is comparable to wentz’s last season, in fact.

Admittedly, i havent checked.
If wentz isn’t leading this team to the playoffs this year, then who cares? Neither is baker. Why not save some cap money and use it elsewhere?

Stymietee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell yes, make that deal. Not that i believe baker is the answer, but it makes sense from a business standpoint.
Washington needs to have the means to improve the team because the Wince trade subtracted from their draft capital. This effectively limited their ability to rely on the draft, moving free agency as its supplemental source to their primary method of making improvements. This requires additional cash on top of calls for contract moves to free up some.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If wentz isn’t leading this team to the playoffs this year, then who cares? Neither is baker. Why not save some cap money and use it elsewhere?

Wentz might lead the team to the playoffs this year, because the nfc east isnt good.

Who you buying with that extra dough now?

Bad deal.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz might lead the team to the playoffs this year, because the nfc east isnt good.

Who you buying with that extra dough now?

Bad deal.
no one is leading this team to the playoffs this year, especially not Wentz (or Baker). This team has way too many holes. Which is why we need the cap space, to fill another hole or 2 especially in the OL or LB. This is in preparation for our drafted QBs either this year or next. The Wentz deal was a bad deal on every front. It was a waste of 2 draft picks and 28m is cap space. We could have had Mayfield for significantly less and had about the same result at the end of the season.
we are not a QB away from a playoff caliber franchise. As soon as the front office realizes this, we might have a chance to truly build the team For long term success.

chillerdab

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no one is leading this team to the playoffs this year, especially not Wentz (or Baker). This team has way too many holes. Which is why we need the cap space, to fill another hole or 2 especially in the OL or LB. This is in preparation for our drafted QBs either this year or next. The Wentz deal was a bad deal on every front. It was a waste of 2 draft picks and 28m is cap space. We could have had Mayfield for significantly less and had about the same result at the end of the season.
we are not a QB away from a playoff caliber franchise. As soon as the front office realizes this, we might have a chance to truly build the team For long term success.

Disagree.

The redskins backed in to the playoffs with essentially the same roster as last year and a worse qb on one leg.

I’m not under the assumption that the commanders are any good - they are a one-and-done football team now, especialy with a third place schedule. Treading water is the way I would generally describe the state of the team.

But they certainly wouldnt be moving forward with this trade proposal.